Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 AM

191 posts, read 712,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I would trust the same entity that actually has free healthcare. At Wal-mart, over half the employees had Medicaid - and not a single one complained about it.

So yes. I would trust the "efficiency" of the government that brought about Social Security, VA, and Medicare. Thing is - we wouldn't need the VA hospitals or Medicare if all health care was free.
Why the heck should they complain about it? It's FREE!!! They pay zero to minimal co-pays for ER visits, doctor visits, and prescription drugs. My hard earned money goes to pay for all of this wonderful FREE health care and in the meantime, my co-pay for a brand-name medicine is $50. I pay $150 for an ER visit. This is after I pay monthly insurance premiums.

Health care is not free. SOMEONE has to pay for it. And when there are fewer someones paying for health care and more someones taking advantage of the FREE health care, something has to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
Why the heck should they complain about it? It's FREE!!! They pay zero to minimal co-pays for ER visits, doctor visits, and prescription drugs. My hard earned money goes to pay for all of this wonderful FREE health care and in the meantime, my co-pay for a brand-name medicine is $50. I pay $150 for an ER visit. This is after I pay monthly insurance premiums.

Health care is not free. SOMEONE has to pay for it. And when there are fewer someones paying for health care and more someones taking advantage of the FREE health care, something has to give.
So, like stated, because they are on the lower end of the wage/market, they should not be entitled to health care? These people have families, bills, and everything else - on a low income.

Maybe some should "go back to school" and become more "marketable" to get paid more... but not everybody wants to be a white collar 8-5 drone. BTW, AmaznJohn, not all low-end workers are 40 hours a week then go home and have a beer. At Wal-mart, my usual was about 60 hours... but because I was a manager, I was salary - only getting paid for 40.

Some people enjoy working with food. It makes their day to see somebody enjoying their food. Or the Pepsi bottlers who take pride in seeing people buy the product that they, themselves, helped to put on that shelf. Or the people who work at the rubbermaid facility.

Another group that gets paid near nothing and have no benefits - Personal Care assistants. They are Certified Nursing Assistants. Sure, they could have continued with education, but they get satisfaction helping people on a personal level. Found a recent article (http://www.wvec.com/news/health/stories/wvec_medical_092107_health_care_seniors.f7e47386.h tml - broken link). With the average CNA (around here at least) making $8.60/hr with no benefits and making such a big difference in the life of the elderly... how's that fair?

Proper healthcare without a big price tag should be available for all. It doesn't matter if you drive a dump truck for a living or supervise over 200 employees. A program that would give healthcare to all, but still allow the "well off" to have private insurance and go to private hospitals should make everyone happy.

You can't have a proper society without low-end workers such as the "trashmen" who come to your place once a week, or the cashiers that ring you up. Why does society seem to want to penalize these individuals for being happy providing a necessary service to society?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
We should instead give the responisbility to the same entity who has brought us the efficiencies of the SS system, the VA Health System, and Medicre?

Citizenship seems to be a difficult notion for you to entertain.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
If one makes the decision to be a low-paid worker, then they must be willing to pay the consequences of such decisions. They should know that they won't be able to afford to have an abundance of children, or a nice car or home and make allowances. These people aren't being penalized by me but by the decisions they've made. Why should I be penalized for making a decision that affords me a more comfortable financial status?
I'm not sure if you're aware, but many trashmen make quite a comfortable living. And many of the cashiers are only the secondary income in a two-income family. No matter what field one chooses, there are ways to be able to afford health insurance, with a bit of ambition and education.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
No matter what field one chooses, there are ways to be able to afford health insurance, with a bit of ambition and education.

As Hemingway wrote, "Isn't it pretty to think so." Fact-free assertions dissolve into the bitstream as if they never existed.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Citizenship seems to be a difficult notion for you to entertain.
So, your definition of citizenship is advocating taking someone else's resources and giving it to a third party? If so, then yes, I have difficulty entertaining that notion. I would much rather allow individuals to keep their own resources to decide whom they would like to help. This is true citizenship.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
So, your definition of citizenship is advocating taking someone else's resources and giving it to a third party?

Has been since about 1913 (WOW! that's, er, 94 years ago!.) Read the history of the federal income tax in America!

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
If one makes the decision to be a low-paid worker, then they must be willing to pay the consequences of such decisions. They should know that they won't be able to afford to have an abundance of children, or a nice car or home and make allowances. These people aren't being penalized by me but by the decisions they've made. Why should I be penalized for making a decision that affords me a more comfortable financial status?
I'm not sure if you're aware, but many trashmen make quite a comfortable living. And many of the cashiers are only the secondary income in a two-income family. No matter what field one chooses, there are ways to be able to afford health insurance, with a bit of ambition and education.
Many of the cashiers under me weren't the "secondary of a two-income family." Though, I'm basing my judgement off of my experiences in service-related work. Not everyone really has the luxury of going to college after high school - you can name any number of examples through facts and figures, and I'm sure I can list, by real name even, examples of my point.

As for the children thing.. Do you think imposing a limit on children vs income would then be beneficial? BTW, this would never work. Different people manage their money differently - some can live a comfortable live with 5 kids and $40K income, some can not. They don't teach how to balance a checkbook or manage finances in high school - and some don't even take it in college. ((You wouldn't believe how many people at Wal-mart I had to teach how to balance a checkbook to...))

Nobody is penalizing you for having the opportunity and ambition to make more money. But rather, give those who do have lower income jobs proper healthcare. I still think that some private insurance and private hospitals should still exist for people, like yourself, who don't want to "subject themselves" to "government run" hospitals and the likes.

Kind of like how my father can go to the VA for his Navy-related injuries... or go to Sentara and pay out of pocket. Or like how a military family can go to the military hospital for free or go to a private hospital for a co-pay.

Personally, I think healthcare should be free for all persons from birth to high school diploma. Yes, maybe some parents shouldn't have had x amount of kids... but is it really right to punish the kids? In some states, if a child has any left over medical bills (from their parents lack of insuring them...) then NOW the child/adult is responsible.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Has been since about 1913 (WOW! that's, er, 94 years ago!.) Read the history of the federal income tax in America!
How about property taxes? The state shouldn't tax me on one of the necessities of life: shelter. This is why property taxes are unconstitutional. I like the income tax because if I don't work because I'm retired, I don't pay.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 PM

191 posts, read 712,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
So, like stated, because they are on the lower end of the wage/market, they should not be entitled to health care? These people have families, bills, and everything else - on a low income.

Maybe some should "go back to school" and become more "marketable" to get paid more... but not everybody wants to be a white collar 8-5 drone. BTW, AmaznJohn, not all low-end workers are 40 hours a week then go home and have a beer. At Wal-mart, my usual was about 60 hours... but because I was a manager, I was salary - only getting paid for 40.

Some people enjoy working with food. It makes their day to see somebody enjoying their food. Or the Pepsi bottlers who take pride in seeing people buy the product that they, themselves, helped to put on that shelf. Or the people who work at the rubbermaid facility.

Another group that gets paid near nothing and have no benefits - Personal Care assistants. They are Certified Nursing Assistants. Sure, they could have continued with education, but they get satisfaction helping people on a personal level. Found a recent article (http://www.wvec.com/news/health/stories/wvec_medical_092107_health_care_seniors.f7e47386.h tml - broken link). With the average CNA (around here at least) making $8.60/hr with no benefits and making such a big difference in the life of the elderly... how's that fair?

Proper healthcare without a big price tag should be available for all. It doesn't matter if you drive a dump truck for a living or supervise over 200 employees. A program that would give healthcare to all, but still allow the "well off" to have private insurance and go to private hospitals should make everyone happy.

You can't have a proper society without low-end workers such as the "trashmen" who come to your place once a week, or the cashiers that ring you up. Why does society seem to want to penalize these individuals for being happy providing a necessary service to society?
One of the first things everyone learns is that life is not fair.

"Entitled" to health care? That's an interesting word. People aren't "entitled" to anything. You have to work hard in this life. I pay a lot for my health insurance. I pay for the insurance because I need it. I'm not "entitled" to anything I don't earn. I would love to spend the money our family pays for insurance on other things. I could take a great vacation every year if, instead of paying for health insurance, I put the money in a savings account.

You don't have to be a white-collar 8 to 5 drone to afford health insurance. In this country, more than anywhere else in the world, you can have the life of your dreams. Is it hard? Heck, yes!! That's why some people get paid more than others.

No one should be "entitled" to take my hard-earned money and funnel it to people who don't make as much as I do. This already happens on such a big scale, it makes me sick.

There is nothing worse than sitting in the dentist's office wondering how I am going to budget for two $700 root canals while watching the Medicare-"insured" child across from me drive off with his mother in a high-end SUV.

"Entitled"? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies