Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is a purely cosmetic procedure.

Next you'll be having your 12 year old getting a boob job bc the kids at school are making fun of her flat chest. Fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Cosmetic is what it's become.
I've never heard of ANYONE having their baby circumcised because it looks better. So I do think calling it "purely cosmetic" is quite a stretch.

But I understand, you gotta invent an idiocy before you can attack it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is a purely cosmetic procedure.

Next you'll be having your 12 year old getting a boob job bc the kids at school are making fun of her flat chest. Fantastic.
Completely different issues.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I've never heard of ANYONE having their baby circumcised because it looks better. So I do think calling it "purely cosmetic" is quite a stretch.

Just read the last few pages, if you bothered to open your eyes.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

Lot's of people do it so the baby looks like daddy or whatever. It's a non issue but people love an excuse to talk about the penis. There are so few non-nasty reasons to do so.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Just read the last few pages, if you bothered to open your eyes.
"Last few pages"? You mean, one person's anecdotal evidence. I didn't read the whole post because it didn't seem to be anything I'd disagree with. But I most certainly do. Even if some people get their sons circumcised because they think they'll be teased, that doesn't mean the practice itself is wrong. It just means people aren't fully aware of the vastly more important benefits.

If the way it looks becomes less popular, the actual reasons for the procedure will still be there. And if people start getting more educated, circumcision will still be there same as always.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 AM

261 posts, read 418,476 times
Uncircumcised penis has it's good and bad points.

I would think an impressionable 4th or 5th grade boy being the only uncircumcised boy in the shower after gym class might feel extremely embarrassed almost to the point of humiliation and might even cause some kids to have some serious psychological issues. He might think something is wrong with him, and if the kids tease him, he might start to feel like a freak. Would you really want to put your kid thru something like that, to be the only uncut kid in gym class. Even though it's natural to be uncut, American culture that we live in, vast majority of men are cut. That's something parents really should consider when deciding to have their son cut or uncut.

On the other hand, according to most men who were cut at on older age, say an uncircumcised penis is more sensitive due to extra moisture and sex feels better compared to a circumcised penis.

It's a tough call.

P.S. I didn't realize this thread is 2 years old since last post. Sorry. I don't even know how I found it.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:52 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Lean No, except in emergency cases. Why? Because it is his body, not yours, and because, exception in emergency cases, the benefits of circumcision do not appear to clearly outweigh the negatives/drawbacks of circumcision.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:53 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I would think an impressionable 4th or 5th grade boy being the only uncircumcised boy in the shower after gym class might feel extremely embarrassed almost to the point of humiliation and might even cause some kids to have some serious psychological issues. He might think something is wrong with him, and if the kids tease him, he might start to feel like a freak. Would you really want to put your kid thru something like that, to be the only uncut kid in gym class. Even though it's natural to be uncut, American culture that we live in, vast majority of men are cut. That's something parents really should consider when deciding to have their son cut or uncut.
If many people stopped getting their sons circumcised, then this would no longer be an issue, though.

Also, for reference, I myself am not sure if I ever needed to take a shower after gym class back when I was in school.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Lean No, except in emergency cases. Why? Because it is his body, not yours, and because, exception in emergency cases, the benefits of circumcision do not appear to clearly outweigh the negatives/drawbacks of circumcision.
That's not your call to make... in either case, really.

Not his body. Well I get to decide much more significant things for my son than the circumcision thing. Let's start with what state I chose to raise him in. This will undoubtedly affect him in countless ways, considering the differences in laws, economy, weather, etc. among the states. On top of that, I get to decide whether he is homeschooled, in a public school, or in a private school. I get to decide what brand of clothing he wears, which before long will impact his social life/popularity at school. If you think for one minute the circumcision question is likely to matter more to him in the long run, you're kidding yourself.

I know the risks of circumcision. I also know the benefits; do you know the benefits? Did you know it can help prevent penile cancer and HIV? Did you know that sometimes (though it is extremely rare), a grown man has to undergo a circumcision for the sake of his health, which would inarguably be a more harrowing experience? If so, and if you're still just saying "It's not worth it", then all we really have here is you pushing your values onto everyone else.

Do the benefits clearly outweigh the negatives/drawbacks? Not necessarily.
But do the risks clearly outweigh the benefits? Not necessarily either. Parents' choice.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Male genital mutilation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies