Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
changing the laws isn't going to fix his negligence.

she was arrested and at a police substation, and it was his job to make sure that she was secure in that substation.

he didn't do his job correctly and she was able to bolt.

i don't see where law changes fix that problem.
He attempted to make her more comfortable by cuffing her in front rather than behind her back. Condemning him for the results of an act of kindness strikes me as highly judgmental and an uninformed attempt at Monday morning quarterbacking.

Bad things sometimes happen to good people. The actions and choices of the woman had every bit as much to do with her demise as did the actions of the officer.

He will live the rest of his life regretting his decisions. Attempting to solely focus the blame for the events that transpired on him is unrealistic and unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Expect ankle cuffs to be used in the future.

It will happen.

Just to keep the public and the police safe don't you know.

His choice to tase may be justified. His decision to do it rather than chase was foolish.

The girl cannot answer now as to why she ran. And the 'what if's' abound (fear, drugs, attitude or something he said) and will never be known.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
She committs a hit and run leaves the scene and then runs from the LEO. She brought it on and it is too bad she has no respect for the law or authority.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:52 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
" Can't we all just get along? "

Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
are you saying that cop was incapable of catching her?

maybe there are other issues that need to be addressed here.

one other thing, (from the account that i read), i think the officer was mad at her for being a smartass. from the report:
While she sat in the back of his cruiser, Maudsley removed her right hand from the handcuffs, the report said. When Cole opened the door to take her out, she told him, "I took this off."

Maudsley was placed back in handcuffs and Cole took her into the substation, according to the report. As he worked on paperwork in a conference room, he sensed that Maudsley was moving, turned, and saw her at the main exit. He asked where she was going and got up from his seat before she ran out the door.

why wouldn't the substation doors be locked anyway, and why wasn't she secured at the substation? wouldn't that be a normal order of business?

you can outgrow being a smartass, but you have to live long enough to do it.
And as I have said previously, but for her own actions, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited by Darkatt; 03-04-2012 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I hope this goes to a jury trial. If I'm on the jury, this cop is toast.

There is no way a woman in handcuffs can escape. The cop should never have tasered her.
Using the same kneejerk logic, I can say that if I'm on the jury, Daddy doesn't win the big bucks in the litigation lottery! His daughter effed up and I'll hold her liable for actions and the reaction of the officer.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default The florida highway patrol hard at work (abuse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Maybe you should work to effect changes in the use of force continuum that regulates the actions used by officers. Whether you agree with it or not the actions of the officer were within national standards. Criticizing the actions of the officer for following established policies will do nothing to prevent incidents like this from occurring in the future.

The woman attempted to escape custody. The officer employed a less lethal means of stopping the attempted escape. It ended badly. Regrettable as it may be the actions of the woman were the deciding factor in the events that led to her death.
You did a good job of explaining this, but all of the arm chair attorney wannabe's on this thread are going to have a hard time comprehending what you said. Even if they read your post more than once. Some of them just want to blame the police for the death of this young woman, some of them want to blame anyone except the person who's fault it really was. When you are young and stupid and used to getting your own way, you make dumb mistakes. This was the last dumb mistake she made. Running, falling and banging your head on the pavement will do more than just give you a head ache. The cop stopped her escape by the quickest and easiest method at his disposal. She was under arrest, he shouldn't be required to chase her if she attempts to flee. I have a friend that is a sheriff's deputy, before he could work traffic and use a taser he had to submit to being hit with one. It knocked him off his feet, I saw a video of it. If you are old enough to drive, you are old enough to understand the traffic laws.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
Default The florida highway patrol hard at work (abuse) Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Attacking my comprehension after watching a video is assinine and rude.

I know what I saw, I saw a LAZY cop being derilict in his duties and instead of chasing her (which he was obviously not in the shape to do) he decided to tase her instead which directly resulted in her death.
Like I said before, you don't seem to understand and comprehend the situation. I'm not being rude, I'm stating fact. She was under arrest, she ran, he can use whatever means he has to stop her escape, and that is exactly what he did. What makes you think she has a right to try escaping? What do you think a Cav Scout would do if a prisoner was escaping, watch her go? I don't think any reasonable person will see this as the cop being derelict in his duties, he isn't required to chase someone that is under arrest, he is only required to prevent the escape. What do you know about police work, ms cav scout wife? Probably nothing, the same as you know about the laws. You can second guess the police, but they have a job to do and thankfully they don't have to answer to dim wits.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Like I said before, you don't seem to understand and comprehend the situation. I'm not being rude, I'm stating fact. She was under arrest, she ran, he can use whatever means he has to stop her escape, and that is exactly what he did. What makes you think she has a right to try escaping? What do you think a Cav Scout would do if a prisoner was escaping, watch her go? I don't think any reasonable person will see this as the cop being derelict in his duties, he isn't required to chase someone that is under arrest, he is only required to prevent the escape. What do you know about police work, ms cav scout wife? Probably nothing, the same as you know about the laws. You can second guess the police, but they have a job to do and thankfully they don't have to answer to dim wits.
If he would have done his job PROPERLY, she would have had no chance to try and run in the first place; what do YOU not understand about that?

What would I do? First off, I would have made sure she was properly secured; then if she DID try and escape I would have chased her, instead of using a WEAPON. But then again, I'm not a fat lazy cop that thinks tasers are the be all end all of police work.

I know quite a bit about police work thanks; why are you trying to belittle me for your assumption of my lack of knowledge?

Last I checked police were hired by local city and state governments are are technically public servents, so yeah they do kinda have to answer to the public.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Yes you never run from the police and deserve some level of discomfort if you do...however the use of the taser was an abuse of force...she was cuffed...the officer was right on her heals...LEO was just plain lazy and should be suspended and be forced to get in reasonable shape for an officer.Oh and the family is going to get millions...
This is the way I see it too.

As a former LEO (pre taser fad era) I despise cops that do not know how to do their job or are to lazy to do the job.

If you can't do the job without a Taser,go back to Burger World from whence thee came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies