Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yep, you read it right. Small farmer had a private buying club for fresh milk and vegetables. FDA says he's operating a "retail operation".

FYI..private buying clubs: people actually invest in the animal and soil, not the products of them. You actually get to own 1/2 of the cow and therefore the milk from that cow is your milk. You just let the farmer take care of that cow for you.

The FDA is spending a boatload of money doing these undercover sting operations.

Now I could understand if the number of deaths from fresh milk spiked but how many people have died from milk NOT obtained from BigAg
companies ?

By the time this is all said and done, Monsanto, Cargill, Tyson (who HAVE records of mass tainted food recalls) will be the only guys left in town.

Farmer Faces Possible 3-year Prison Term for Feeding Community | Farm Wars
DATCP has charged Hershberger with, among other things, operating a retail food establishment without a license. Hershberger repeatedly denies this, citing that he provides foods only to paid members in a private buying club and is not subject to state food regulations. “There is more at stake here than just a farmer and his few customers,” says Hershberger, “this is about the fundamental right of farmers and consumers to engage in peaceful, private, mutually consenting agreements for food, without additional oversight.”
Should I turn myself in now for handing out the bumper crop of my garden to my low income neighbors struggling to feed their kids? If a bugaboo is on a pole bean it's best they soak them in some diluted bleach water. I've never used them as a charitable deduction because I don't believe in taking monetary rewards for charity. Retiring safely in jail might be worth it if this is the state of freedom in free society. Maybe that's the only way to get through to these morons-- everyone just start clamoring to get into prison for 3 hots, a cot, and the occasional donut. If Andy Dufrey can do it, I can too.

I think I've heard similar stories in California. Co-operatives and bartering systems are not the same as regular commerce and ought not be legally treated the same. They simply aren't. How would this treatment apply to the Amish baking bread together for their own communities? It costs too much chasing nickels and dimes. This is patently stupid no matter how it's spun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
right and wrong vs legal and illegal become more distant from each other every day. The law says and the gov knows better crap make me want to puke.
Better go find yourself a bucket.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
right and wrong vs legal and illegal become more distant from each other every day. The law says and the gov knows better crap make me want to puke.
Ahhhh but you don't want to believe it has anything to do with deregulation or alan greenspan worshiping Ayn Rand. There it is, dear. Right there. Read it and weep.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Should I turn myself in now for handing out the bumper crop of my garden to my low income neighbors struggling to feed their kids? If a bugaboo is on a pole bean it's best they soak them in some diluted bleach water. I've never used them as a charitable deduction because I don't believe in taking monetary rewards for charity. Retiring safely in jail might be worth it if this is the state of freedom in free society. Maybe that's the only way to get through to these morons-- everyone just start clamoring to get into prison for 3 hots, a cot, and the occasional donut. If Andy Dufrey can do it, I can too.

I think I've heard similar stories in California. Co-operatives and bartering systems are not the same as regular commerce and ought not be legally treated the same. They simply aren't. How would this treatment apply to the Amish baking bread together for their own communities? It costs too much chasing nickels and dimes. This is patently stupid no matter how it's spun.
It's Andy Dufresne--pronounced du-fraine. The guy was selling raw milk across state lines. He's been doing it for years. He was busted and fined once, and told to knock it off. He tried to circumvent the law, now the FDA is bringing down the hammer.

It isn't like the guy was passing out milk to the needy, and the FDA sent in a swat team to shut down his welfare program.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Someone posted a link earlier from the CDC about milk.

Here's an article that also goes into the study and reports what the CDC didn't. It wasn't that the CDC lied; it was that the CDC cherry picked what they wanted to report.

So, here's the "rest of the story"....

CDC Cherry Picks Data to Make Case Against Raw Milk
For the 14-year period that the authors examined, there was an average of 315 illnesses a year from all dairy products for which the pasteurization status was known. Of those, there was an average of 112 illnesses each year attributed to all raw dairy products and 203 associated with pasteurized dairy products.
Because the incidence of illness from dairy products is so low, the authors’ choice of the time period for the study affected the results significantly, yet their decision to stop the analysis with the year 2006 was not explained. The CDC’s data shows that there were significant outbreaks of foodborne illness linked to pasteurized dairy products the very next year, in 2007: 135 people became ill from pasteurized cheese contaminated with e. coli, and three people died from pasteurized milk contaminated with listeria (wwwn.cdc.gov/foodborneoutbreaks/Default.aspx).
Of the references related to dairy outbreaks, five are from outbreaks in other countries, several did not involve any illness, seven are about cheese-related incidents, and of the forty-six outbreaks they count, only five describe any investigations.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Yep, you read it right. Small farmer had a private buying club for fresh milk and vegetables. FDA says he's operating a "retail operation".

FYI..private buying clubs: people actually invest in the animal and soil, not the products of them. You actually get to own 1/2 of the cow and therefore the milk from that cow is your milk. You just let the farmer take care of that cow for you.

The FDA is spending a boatload of money doing these undercover sting operations.

Now I could understand if the number of deaths from fresh milk spiked but how many people have died from milk NOT obtained from BigAg
companies ?

By the time this is all said and done, Monsanto, Cargill, Tyson (who HAVE records of mass tainted food recalls) will be the only guys left in town.

Farmer Faces Possible 3-year Prison Term for Feeding Community | Farm Wars
DATCP has charged Hershberger with, among other things, operating a retail food establishment without a license. Hershberger repeatedly denies this, citing that he provides foods only to paid members in a private buying club and is not subject to state food regulations. “There is more at stake here than just a farmer and his few customers,” says Hershberger, “this is about the fundamental right of farmers and consumers to engage in peaceful, private, mutually consenting agreements for food, without additional oversight.”
Dude, we've had serveral threads like this and there are MANY MANY MANY operations like this around the country that are left alone. Yet somehow, you can't figure out WHY this guy is somehow being picked on?

Anyone that believes everything they read on the internet deserves their reputation.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Better go find yourself a bucket.
have lots of buckets. with pictures of kids drowning on them,how cute. some say not for sale in Califronia. got any more tips to keep me alive?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Sadly, the servant government has forgotten the difference between regulate (as in standardize) and proscribe (forbid).
What regulations should do is help assign blame when an injured party makes a complaint. If the defendant violated the regs, then there is criminal liability. Otherwise, there should be no punishment for breaking rules without an injured party.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dude, we've had serveral threads like this and there are MANY MANY MANY operations like this around the country that are left alone. Yet somehow, you can't figure out WHY this guy is somehow being picked on?

Anyone that believes everything they read on the internet deserves their reputation.
Also, this link is from some sort of "advocacy" publication. Sort of like reading about Obama's citizenship on World Net Daily.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Someone posted a link earlier from the CDC about milk.

Here's an article that also goes into the study and reports what the CDC didn't. It wasn't that the CDC lied; it was that the CDC cherry picked what they wanted to report.

So, here's the "rest of the story"....

CDC Cherry Picks Data to Make Case Against Raw Milk
For the 14-year period that the authors examined, there was an average of 315 illnesses a year from all dairy products for which the pasteurization status was known. Of those, there was an average of 112 illnesses each year attributed to all raw dairy products and 203 associated with pasteurized dairy products.
Because the incidence of illness from dairy products is so low, the authors’ choice of the time period for the study affected the results significantly, yet their decision to stop the analysis with the year 2006 was not explained. The CDC’s data shows that there were significant outbreaks of foodborne illness linked to pasteurized dairy products the very next year, in 2007: 135 people became ill from pasteurized cheese contaminated with e. coli, and three people died from pasteurized milk contaminated with listeria (wwwn.cdc.gov/foodborneoutbreaks/Default.aspx).
Of the references related to dairy outbreaks, five are from outbreaks in other countries, several did not involve any illness, seven are about cheese-related incidents, and of the forty-six outbreaks they count, only five describe any investigations.
Are those emphasis yours? The total number of raw-milk drinkers compared to pasteurized milk drinkers are undoubtedly far apart. FDA results show about 3% of the population, or 9 million people, drink raw milk. Assuming even just 100 million people drink pasteurized milk (and it is undoubtedly much more than that), you're talking a 16 fold increase in illness for raw-milk drinkers compared to Pasteurized drinkers.

Raw numbers don't support your argument when they're brought into proportion.

EDIT: Correction, it's a 16 fold increase if I'm doing my math correctly, not 50. At current, it's 1:2 illness in raw numbers for rawasteurized. We have to increase though, proportionally, the raw numbers to match the Pasteurized numbers. Using my made-up number of 100 million people (which I stated is most certainly low), you have to bring the 3 million raw drinkers (which is from the CDC numbers), you have to multiply that by 33. So we're talking about a 33:2 ratio proportionally, which is 16x the rate of Pasteurized milk.

And looking at the CDC's figures for food-born illnesses, unpasteurized dairy comes up a lot, with surprising numbers of illnesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Also, this link is from some sort of "advocacy" publication. Sort of like reading about Obama's citizenship on World Net Daily.
I was never quite sure if WND was an Onion spin-off or what. Apparently, they are fo' realz. And it scares the **** out of me.

Last edited by Konraden; 02-25-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies