Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So keep buying at supermarkets and grocery stores and not from co-ops or roadside fruit/veggie stands or community based farmer's markets.
I buy a bit at the farmer's markets in chicago because I know that we have safety standards for the protection of the buyers. same thing with the amish markets. I don't think living off the grid removes your responsibility to make sure that your food is safe for other people to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM

800 posts, read 508,914 times
Anybody here who thinks the farmer did something wrong and that the gov has a valid reason for doing what they did is a tyrant. If you speak or act on behalf of tyranny then YOU are also tyranny and part of the problem. Anybody saying "well yes its unfortunate but he DID break a law so I guess he has to be punished somehow" is in the same boat. This weak minded sheeply attitude about eroding freedoms and blind submission is whats wrong with this country.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM

15,099 posts, read 8,641,275 times
For all of the people out there who remain confused and in the dark about the level of corruption ... and CONSPIRACY ......

Here is a piece on Monsanto's "safe" Bovine Growth Hormone.

In short, reporters did an in depth investigation on this substance ... uncovered significant health safety issues that were covered up by the FDA and Monsanto. So they wrote a report to expose this corruption and the safety issues ... but the network refused to run the story due to pressure from Monsanto, using their advertising dollars as the leverage. The reporters were eventually fired for refusing to rewrite the report to include outright LIES. So the reporters filed suit. It went to court .. and the court decided that the Network could force the reporters to lie ... that the news organization has no obligation to tell the truth.

So there it is .... FDA corruption in doing exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing ... covering up health safety threats, instead of safeguarding health. Mainstream news corruption, trying to force reporters to create false stories filled with lies. And the Courts backing the news agency, blatantly saying that it's OK for the mainstream news to LIE, as well as punish anyone who refuses to go along with the lies.

Now shut up about the FDA and USDA protecting the public health, or this brain dead, worn out "Conspiracy Theory" response .. cuz ya just prove how uninformed you really are each time you use it!

Here's the "CONSPIRACY PROOF" .... that makes it no longer a "theory".

2 FOX News Reporters Jobless After Monsanto & Cancer Milk Story - YouTube

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 02-25-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If you want to live off the grid or do whatever to avoid bigag, have at it. If you're going to try to sell me what you're growing, you'd better be conforming to fed safety regulations.

I respect and have more confidence in fed regulations to protect my health than I do some random citizens word that he's done everything to make sure his foods is safe to eat.
I am happy for citizens like you that exercises their freedom too stay away from farmers market/auctions. It benefits people like me, you know supply and demand economics and if more people show up the demand rises and so do prices. Why you are paying 70 cents to a buck for a green pepper I can buy a bushel {38 to 40 peppers} for 6 to 8 bucks. You pay a lot for the FDA sticker but myself I will look at it and be the judge.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People in third world countries do not have the luxuries the US has, like refrigerators.
I guess they don't eat eggs or drink milk.
That's quite a valid comparison you've made there. They also have shorter lifespans. Care to discuss that?

Quote:
Correct, that is why I placed an emphasis on "properly harvested". Farmers and backyard egg producers understand what those who only buy food from grocery stores and blindly believe that the FDA knows best never bothered to learn.
Something tells me the backyard egg producers are unlikely to know much about food safety.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I buy a bit at the farmer's markets in chicago because I know that we have safety standards for the protection of the buyers. same thing with the amish markets. I don't think living off the grid removes your responsibility to make sure that your food is safe for other people to eat.
Why do you assume the farmers and backyard chicken producers all live off grid? Why do you assume "off grid" = unsafe?

Such statments detract from any credibility you may have. I've got news for you, just because the FDA & Monsanto proclaim something "safe" doesn't make it so.

How is that BPA in food containers workin' for you?

More people died from Salmonella poisoning from FDA approved facilities than from drinking raw milk last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's quite a valid comparison you've made there. They also have shorter lifespans. Care to discuss that?

Something tells me the backyard egg producers are unlikely to know much about food safety.
I suspect they know a heck of a lot more than you've proven to know in this thread about the safe storage of fresh eggs.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

And you think it's because eggs aren't refrigerated ?

Is that all who sells at your Farmer Markets..backyard producers ?

Out here in Texas if you have 100 acres you're considered a small farmer.
Why ridicule and mock "small farmer" ? They are not "backyard egg producers".
Backyard producers are those in subdivisions allowed to have 2-3 chickens.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
........Backyard producers are those in subdivisions allowed to have 2-3 chickens.
I would include the family farm with the "Eggs for sale" sign out by the mailbox as well (a dozen or so hens). When I pass by one of those signs I leave rubber on the road braking to buy some.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Why do you assume the farmers and backyard chicken producers all live off grid? Why do you assume "off grid" = unsafe?

Such statments detract from any credibility you may have. I've got news for you, just because the FDA & Monsanto proclaim something "safe" doesn't make it so.

How is that BPA in food containers workin' for you?

More people died from Salmonella poisoning from FDA approved facilities than from drinking raw milk last year.

I suspect they know a heck of a lot more than you've proven to know in this thread about the safe storage of fresh eggs.
irrelevant. That's like saying more people die from flu then from ebola. Ebola isn't les dangerous, just less prevalent.

Off the grid or not, I don't know jack about how to make sure the peppers or honey or bread that I buy are safe to eat. I assume by them being at these markets that they've conformed to the cities guidelines for safety. and that's what people like you always forgets about guideline: they aren't just there to make sure that the sellers are doing somethin. they are also there to make sure that the buyers are safe.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
I would include the family farm with the "Eggs for sale" sign out by the mailbox as well (1-2 dozen hens). When I pass by one of those signs I leave rubber on the road braking to buy some.
That was me when I started..dragged the sign up the driveway every Sat morning. After a while I stopped putting the sign up because I just didn't have enough eggs for all that stopped. The regulars kept stopping by though and I had folks calling me up asking to "save a dozen or two" for them. And...*gasp*..I left them in a cooler on the porch for them if I wasn't going to be home. Came home and the $$ was in the cooler.

A friend just came by last night to pick up her steer that's on my place. She brought him home to fatten up before he goes off to freezer camp.
1/4 of that is going to me He's been eating MY grass and hay for the past 12 months. I use ZERO chemicals. The vet comes out regularly to check them and they have been given NO "preventative antibiotics" because none of them have gotten sick. They've only been given the shots they normally have to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies