Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you think of feminists or someone who calls themselves one, you think of:
Mostly good, pleasant person, a positive image 27 21.95%
Mostly bad, unpleasant person, a negative image 65 52.85%
neutral/no particular opinion or care about the word used or topic brought up 31 25.20%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As for people who specifically identify as 'feminists.' I'm often suspicious of them. I don't think women need to specifically label themselves to eschew the values and principles of equality and women's rights.
This, exactly.

I don't identity as a feminist. I'll defy that particular label.

But if most of my friends were asked, "Do you think that Supernaut is a feminist?" they would likely say that I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Hmm... your first paragraph reminds me of people saying that feminism has declined since the "girl power" attitude of the 80s and 90s (there are stats showing things people associated with that movement, like a trend of women keeping last names after marriage peaked in the 90s, college students' feminism in the US, or interest in intellectual stuff like discussing gender-neutral words in writing etc. also peaked then, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it "on the street", since activism often ends when some of the aims have already been achieved through acceptance), though to be honest I don't really know if I see any social trend in my daily life -- I just hear about the "backlash" online.

All in all though, I have more positive (which I voted in the poll) interaction with people (actually it's only women I know of, in person) who call themselves "feminists". In the case of my friend who got involved in social/global issues in university and is getting into a career with it, especially bringing women's rights as a movement to other less-egalitarian countries -- of that I respect.

I'd imagine, if by chance the people I first met who called themselves "feminists" were the so-called as mentioned on this forum -- nasty, complaining, bitter, hypocritical ones, I might have a negative attitude develop with that label. Most of the strong, activist "feminist" types I've ever met though (well, I can think of mainly just two examples who called themselves that strongly) were and are actually really decent and have been kind, respectful people. But I started this poll because I am interested in most other peoples' experiences with "feminists".
That's exactly it. I knew three girls - all creepily similar, wore a lot of gothic fashion, loved death metal music, and had massive chips on their shoulders. They were self-described feminists or campaigners for women's rights. Having even a casual convo with them was like treading on egg-shells: I'm a pretty tactful person, but I think I was simply too rational for them. They DEMANDED I take on their bigoted, emotional views. All claimed to have been raped so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. At the risk of enraging like-minded people here, I admit I was a little suspicious at what exactly happened. These women would also constantly COMPLAIN about 80% of the time we were talking about the men in their lives. They were bitter people. One, whom I knew from high school, always seemed to get into arguments with everybody. She was an unlikable, abrasive person who would argue/take offense at anything.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
This, exactly.

I don't identity as a feminist. I'll defy that particular label.

But if most of my friends were asked, "Do you think that Supernaut is a feminist?" they would likely say that I am.
Yeah labels are pretty useless when you think about it. Most of the time labels elicit negative responses from people.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the founder of my church was a feminist. but her sense of morality and ethics and those of gloria steinem, are very different.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I don't "identify as" a feminist either; ironically, it's only on this forum that I've ever been called one. And nope. It has never ever been in a positive way (here on CD). Generally, it's an attack.

But of course, I don't see CD as representative of the population as a whole.

I also don't know any women who call themselves feminists. I think the last time I heard a woman actually call herself "a feminist" was in the 70s, in my mom's group of associates/friends.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
When someone says they're a feminist, I think they're female supremacists.
Wow, WoE...this explains a lot. Really.

It's not a contest. Or it shouldn't be.

I have actually seen more, on here anyway, of others identifying posters here as being feminists...then going off from there to make more assumptions. Thinking back I actually can't recall a single time a poster here has identified herself as "a feminist" (before being called/accused of being one).

Personally I feel it's basically to fill a personal agenda where one must find "proof" that the opposite sex is bad in some way -- predatory, manipulative, in this case superior...etc. JMO.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I think Djuna is one who identifies herself as feminist in her tag-line, but she tends to have pretty stereotypical 'feminist' views .
Ah, I never noticed that! I never read people's taglines. Don't know why. I just re-read mine now that you said that...it reads "East Meets West..." I think I probably typed that in around 2008, LOL.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
When I hear the word "feminist" I immediately think of Nellie McKay, and no bad thoughts can enter my head while I'm thinking of Nellie McKay.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
I think Djuna is one who identifies herself as feminist in her tag-line, but she tends to have pretty stereotypical 'feminist' views .

Djuna seems normal to me.

Most feminists are nutcases though. This isn't the 1950s, and also.. it seems there's plenty of women on here who refer to these as the good ole days anyways

Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wow, WoE...this explains a lot. Really.

It's not a contest. Or it shouldn't be.

I have actually seen more, on here anyway, of others identifying posters here as being feminists...then going off from there to make more assumptions. Thinking back I actually can't recall a single time a poster here has identified herself as "a feminist" (before being called/accused of being one).

Personally I feel it's basically to fill a personal agenda where one must find "proof" that the opposite sex is bad in some way -- predatory, manipulative, in this case superior...etc. JMO.
I actually met a lot of those people who claim to be feminists. It written all over their posts through their radical assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies