Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you think of feminists or someone who calls themselves one, you think of:
Mostly good, pleasant person, a positive image 27 21.95%
Mostly bad, unpleasant person, a negative image 65 52.85%
neutral/no particular opinion or care about the word used or topic brought up 31 25.20%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 PM

77 posts, read 170,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Both men and women can be feminists....it ONLY means people who believe both sexes should have equal rights....
Actually it doesn't mean that.
Most definitions of Feminism (there is not just one) is to do with the defining, establishing and defending of rights of women in all areas of society/life - political, economic & social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
When I was graduating high school (back in the stone ages), I wanted to do one thing - pilot boats - big boats, little boats, sailing boats, power boats. Alas, there was no way to do that despite that I had my own boat since I was 12 - both power and sail. I could not join the Coast Guard; I could not get a job as a harbor pilot, I could not get training beyond what I already had. I could join the navy only as a clerk in the waves. Whoopdedoo. I didn't know it, but I was a feminist teen.

If you haven't heard already you should find Jessica Watson's accomplishment inspiring. At age 16 she became the youngest person to sail around the world solo.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pims26 View Post
Actually it doesn't mean that.
Most definitions of Feminism (there is not just one) is to do with the defining, establishing and defending of rights of women in all areas of society/life - political, economic & social.
That's the problem, what about when there is a disagreement over what is a right and what is a privilege? Rights can be expanded to include almost anything, if the right justification is used.

While when women were unequal feminism's main goal was simple equality, now that things are more equal in the West (any discrimination tends to be in people's attitudes, not the institution) some feminists need some new war to fight. Personally, I'd like to see more focus on making things more fair and equal for women in places like the Middle East, or somehow getting the message across through the veiled curtain.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The sad thing is that I'm only 28 and this stuff happened to me in my late teens and early 20s, which is why I'm so adamant about women's rights. This kind of discrimination is still going on, and it irritates me when people think that everything is equal because the law says so. Socially, we still have some way to go.

We had both a my school... I took auto (which was horrible... High school boys can be downright terrible) and AG mechanics as well as sewing and cooking. Perhaps that's more of a local issue
In middle school four non-academic courses were required of both the boys and the girls: sewing, cooking, wood shop, and mechanical drawing. I aced mechanical drawing, was terrible at the other three.

Auto shop wasn't offered until high school and at that point it wasn't a requirement for anybody.

VoTech was open to both boys and girls, and both boys and girls attended, probably more boys than girls.

I grew up in the northeast and attended middle school in 1980-1981, for reference.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Polls are not allowed in the Great Debates forum, moved to Politics & other Controversies.
Ha ha, nobody wants it.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM

56 posts, read 90,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Support this statement and the concept surrounding it.
You lost me along the way to your statement on balance and potential. Good ending but the nonsense about "feminine values" in the workplace is a prime example of misogeny.
I don't respond to demands from anyone and I don't need to "support" anything I say, but there are several examples of how society and workplace has changed in the way I assert, in the posts that followed, if you care to read them.
Its not misogynistic for someone to recognize clear changes and over time and for you to deny someone's experiences is actually quite rude & arrogant. And I am not alone.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's the problem, what about when there is a disagreement over what is a right and what is a privilege? Rights can be expanded to include almost anything, if the right justification is used.
But we can use the benchmark of what is available/possible for men and although I am not a sociologist, I would think that such comparison would clearly show when certain demands are outlandish or way overboard.
We have to also watch that we don't get sucked into the same "entitlement" and "deserving" trap that many countries' immigration policies have descended to, which is to regard everyone with non-white skin to be labeled automatically in our minds as "disadvantaged" "needing help" "impoverished" "deserving" and thus not only placed ahead of the line, but to bestow upon such people, all manner of advantages, benefits and resources, many of which are outrageous, ridiculous and an offense to others.
And also, that any talk (or the hint of desiring to start a dialog) of objections to such policies are attacked by the same liberal mobs who influenced & inculcated these crazy immigration policies and who label objections as "awful", "racist", "terrible", "shameful" and the rest of the guilt-laden statements trotted about our society, mainly by the said liberal mob, plus a sprinkling of the delusional and highly susceptible "we are all humans" "we are one world" folk, actors and media people, most of whom live very comfortable lives, far far away from where they might see the consequences of the defective and destructive immigration policies that they publicly support, but which never affect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While when women were unequal feminism's main goal was simple equality, now that things are more equal in the West (any discrimination tends to be in people's attitudes, not the institution) some feminists need some new war to fight. Personally, I'd like to see more focus on making things more fair and equal for women in places like the Middle East, or somehow getting the message across through the veiled curtain.
These feminists are the same ones who hijacked the original movement for their own subversive ends and their descendants & those they influenced.
They are the ones who tell other women what are the "acceptable" things for them to do in their lives (its OK to be a hooker but you can't be a homemaker), in ever so subtle ways (and not so subtle ways when necessary).

Some of these women are in the media and in education, while many more are strewn across most modern & white societies, ensconced in a variety of public & government positions (with non-obvious & non-threatening sounding titles or functions, so they can't be identified & rooted out), or nice sounding "organizations" who nearly always give themselves, of course, the much vaunted but mostly meaningless tag of "non-profit", so that they can be seen with benign eyes and so that they can get heaps of money to peddle their every declining influence.

Last edited by pims26; 02-29-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM

I wonder how many more times this thread is going to be moved.
And to what forum? Hey, maybe they can create a new one
There's all kinds of forums missing form CD.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i was clear that there were some aspects of feminism i respect. for example, my sister in law is a feminist, and she's totally agreeable about it. i respect her views and agree with them.

Unfortunately she doesn't negate all the crazy, angry feminists.
Gee, what do you think of all the crazy, angry people who don't want women to have equal rights????

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Gee, what do you think of all the crazy, angry people who don't want women to have equal rights????
You sure you wanna know the answer to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies