Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
How odd...in my area, there have been reports of more people taking on boarders and roommates and adults living with their parents in the past few years.

Many communities have maximum unrelated occupancy ordinances which often make it illegal to take in borders or roommates.

Beware the NIMBYs who would love to turn you in for overoccupqncy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

How is this not a social disaster in the making? Don't get me wrong: there is nothing inherently immoral or evil about being single or living alone. There have always been those called to the single life and there always will be. The problem is that society cannot handle certain exceptions becoming the rule. When people are living alone due to an absence of love and commitment in their lives, whether chosen or unchosen, we have a problem.

Apparently that's how it will end - in a loveless society, in which the masses demand that government accommodate our loveless lives, and that government "fix" what love has neglected. Furthermore it will be demanded that government remove any visible reminders of what love ought to have done to avoid pricking our dying consciences.
Can I move in with you?

[i don't eat a lot]

Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I can most certainly see the appeal. LIving alone means that the only person to nag you is yourself. o.o
Yep. I live with my boyfriend and it's nice to have someone, but if my comings and goings deviate ever so slightly from my usual routine, I get the 3rd degree and all these false accusations from 'the warden' just because I live under his roof.
He acts butthurt because I pay more attention to my cat, but I tell him that it's because she never nags me.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,591 times
I've only lived alone for a few very short periods of time. As a woman who hasn't been all that independent for such a long time, I think I'd feel quite vulnerable living alone. Females living alone tend to be targeted more for stalkers, burglars, peeping Toms, prowlers, rapists, etc.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Professor Eric Klinenberg, the author of "Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone", informs us that:

"More people live alone now than at any other time in history. In prosperous American cities — Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Minneapolis — 40 percent or more of all households contain a single occupant. In Manhattan and in Washington, nearly one in two households are occupied by a single person.
Today five million people in the United States between ages 18 and 34 live alone, 10 times more than in 1950. But the largest number of single people are middle-aged; 15 million people between ages 35 and 64 live alone."

How is this not a social disaster in the making? Don't get me wrong: there is nothing inherently immoral or evil about being single or living alone. There have always been those called to the single life and there always will be. The problem is that society cannot handle certain exceptions becoming the rule. When people are living alone due to an absence of love and commitment in their lives, whether chosen or unchosen, we have a problem.

Apparently that's how it will end - in a loveless society, in which the masses demand that government accommodate our loveless lives, and that government "fix" what love has neglected. Furthermore it will be demanded that government remove any visible reminders of what love ought to have done to avoid pricking our dying consciences.
Oh please! Let the kids fly the nest already and enough with the clinging and whining.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Can I move in with you?

[i don't eat a lot]
YES! DO! Either that or renegotiate with your landlord lease and insist "love" be included in the amenities.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Professor Eric Klinenberg, the author of "Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone", informs us that:

"More people live alone now than at any other time in history. In prosperous American cities — Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Minneapolis — 40 percent or more of all households contain a single occupant. In Manhattan and in Washington, nearly one in two households are occupied by a single person.
Today five million people in the United States between ages 18 and 34 live alone, 10 times more than in 1950. But the largest number of single people are middle-aged; 15 million people between ages 35 and 64 live alone."

This can be turned into a positive in one paragraph;
" Woman are 1 million times more self-sufficient/independent than in 1950-not dependent on a man to "get by" not compromise her dignity for her kids- many men back then drank alot-beat the hell out of the wife-thier was a stigma of single woman with kids, etc, and domestic abuse- often was looked the other way. You can be more alone in a relationship, than outside of one.

so, yes divorce rates lead to more adults being single/independent-but also can reclaim dignity and self-respect.

also, alone doesnt mean lonely, it means independence/freedom

the computer is a marvelous invention, it's a portal to the world, also, you can connect to soooooooooooo many people using a computer , compared to years ago.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
People who live alone have fewer opportunities to love. They must must go out of their way to give of themselves. Their tolerance of others is challenged less frequently. They can more easily avoid demands on their time and energy. Etc.
So?

I don't see anything wrong with a person doing what they want....isn't this a free country????

Are you proposing punishing people who want to live alone?

Are you proposing forcing people into communes?

Are proposing taking away their homes or forcing them to have others live with them?

Are you a communist?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Yep. I live with my boyfriend and it's nice to have someone, but if my comings and goings deviate ever so slightly from my usual routine, I get the 3rd degree and all these false accusations from 'the warden' just because I live under his roof.
He acts butthurt because I pay more attention to my cat, but I tell him that it's because she never nags me.
You are being abused and don't know it.

The domination, questions and control will escalate ....and your fear of burglars, stalkers and rapists will change to fear of the one you're living with.

seek help.....and spare me the excuses that will spring to your lips the second you hear anyone criticize your "warden"....

Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You are being abused and don't know it.

The domination, questions and control will escalate ....and your fear of burglars, stalkers and rapists will change to fear of the one you're living with.

seek help.....and spare me the excuses that will spring to your lips the second you hear anyone criticize your "warden"....
Excellent advice!

I lived with that type of man for 15 years; spent the last five of those years trying to get away without being murdered by him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies