Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,416,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Truth be told, I agree with you more than you think I do. I post comments that are intentionally inflammatory because I go to web forums to be entertained and educated. I can't be educated if I'm merely chatting with people who all agree, and I can't be entertained if I don't see some fireworks. I've always considered you a very respectable conservative, worthy of a spot on Crossfire or The McLaughlin Group. You're a good spokesperson for your point of view, unlike others who stoop to childish invective... like, uhhh, that guy who calls himself "The Harvester" formerly known as "Deeptrance" --- that guy is a jerk!!!!
Flattery will get you everywhere my friend.. and despite the fact that Austin leans so far left, I feel like I need a new suspension every time I visit, I really like that town and wish San Antonio would use the architecture downtown as a model.. our downtown is buffugly as I'm sure you've seen.. although there is a nice, new hotel going up which is pretty big and hopefully helps things out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

454 posts, read 1,340,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Flattery will get you everywhere my friend.. and despite the fact that Austin leans so far left, I feel like I need a new suspension every time I visit, I really like that town and wish San Antonio would use the architecture downtown as a model.. our downtown is buffugly as I'm sure you've seen.. although there is a nice, new hotel going up which is pretty big and hopefully helps things out
But you have the river walk! I love San Antonio. And this reminds me of a joke I heard the other day:

A woman was driving across a bridge in Texas when she noticed a man about to jump. She pulls over and says to the man, "don't jump! remember your parents!" The man responds: "My parents are dead!" The woman thinks for a moment and then yells, "Remember your wife and children!" The man responds: "I don't have a wife or children." Finally, the woman yells, "Well then! remember the Alamo!" The man responds: "What's the Alamo?" To which the woman responds....

"Oh go ahead and jump, you damn yankee!"

Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM

ha ha, that's a good one.. and speaking of the Alamo.. I love the tourists who come here expecting some big fort thing out in the dust or something and then see that it's downtown and surrounded by really tall buildings...

oh well, we make a fortune off those suckers every day

Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,771,868 times
Quote:
I... wish San Antonio would use the architecture downtown as a model.. our downtown is buffugly as I'm sure you've seen..
We disagree more about this than anything in the political realm. I think the old narrow streets and older buildings, along with the Riverwalk, are the most beautiful downtown in the USA. And I'm not exaggerating. But I haven't been there in a couple years. Maybe my memory has pumped it all up to something more than it really is. I do recall being there before Christmas one year, the luminarias lining the walkway, the lush tropical vegetation and soft lighting enhancing the lovely architecture, and boats full of people going by singing "Feliz Navidad" --- I was in tears. Call me sentimental, but I think the Riverwalk at Christmas is divine.

As for the areas immediately outside the downtown core, I hate San Antonio with the obvious exception of the obvious places where the rich folks live. But I kinda feel the same way about Austin. I'm not a big fan of suburban sprawl, and no state does sprawl worse than Texas.

Oops, we're off-topic. Uhhh, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Bin Laden isn't hiding on the Riverwalk. Will that keep my post from being deleted?

Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM

I come from boards where OT is accepted and often times encouraged, especially for entertainment value.

besides, it's much better than me calling you a stupid, pot smoking, lefty hippy, draft dodging, frenchy lover now isn't it?

I will say I think your image of downtown San Antonio was clouded by some suspect smoke though... I just drove through it yesterday and it's ugly as ever, especially if you venture a few feet off the River Walk.. I was at Lackland and wanted to go to DQ, so I punched it in my TomTom and TomTom tried to get me killed with the DQ it chose to bring me to.. I think I could make a good game out of TomTom though. Pick a place, don't look where it's sending you to and get the surprise of your life where you end up.. My wife and daughter thought we were going to be shot for sure, but we did indeed end up at a DQ, in the worst side of town I've seen yet....
wife and daughter: "I'm not getting out of the car here"

Old 09-10-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
ha ha, that's a good one.. and speaking of the Alamo.. I love the tourists who come here expecting some big fort thing out in the dust or something and then see that it's downtown and surrounded by really tall buildings...

oh well, we make a fortune off those suckers every day
But do they ask to go to the basement??

Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 124,193 times
how can you find osama if he's in pakistian. You already invaded iraq, you know you cant invade pakistian then go looking through mountains where he could be anywhere

Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,771,868 times
Quote:
...me calling you a stupid, pot smoking, lefty hippy, draft dodging, frenchy lover...

I will say I think your image of downtown San Antonio was clouded by some suspect smoke though...
While I gleefully accept your compliments in the first sentence, I must confess that I've not been under the influence while in San Antonio. You'll have to find another explanation.

Honestly, I think it's a tourist's perspective that gets me. I see a few blocks, the very best ones, and I ignore the rest because I only want to see the good stuff since I'm merely visiting. I'm sure you would agree that there are a couple of blocks that are attractive, right? They're sort of European looking, as I recall.... or was I inhaling suspicious smoke without knowing it?

In order to keep this on topic, I'll visit the San Antonio forum and see if there's something I can respond to there. Meanwhile, I'll say again that I don't think Bin Laden is hiding in the Alamo, although it wouldn't be a bad idea. Who would think to look for him there? For all we know he might be that really tall handsome older tour guide who speaks with a foreign accent...

Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
But do they ask to go to the basement??
ok, you may have me on this one.. the basement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta/Roswell View Post
how can you find osama if he's in pakistian. You already invaded iraq, you know you cant invade pakistian then go looking through mountains where he could be anywhere
who is this Osama you speak of and why are you talking about him in a thread that obviously is about Texas architecture and the Alamo...

just kidding, look at a map of the bases we have and look at Iran. that should answer your question..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
While I gleefully accept your compliments in the first sentence, I must confess that I've not been under the influence while in San Antonio. You'll have to find another explanation.

Honestly, I think it's a tourist's perspective that gets me. I see a few blocks, the very best ones, and I ignore the rest because I only want to see the good stuff since I'm merely visiting. I'm sure you would agree that there are a couple of blocks that are attractive, right? They're sort of European looking, as I recall.... or was I inhaling suspicious smoke without knowing it?

In order to keep this on topic, I'll visit the San Antonio forum and see if there's something I can respond to there. Meanwhile, I'll say again that I don't think Bin Laden is hiding in the Alamo, although it wouldn't be a bad idea. Who would think to look for him there? For all we know he might be that really tall handsome older tour guide who speaks with a foreign accent...
well, next time you come down here, make sure you take a gander at downtown San Antonio from 35, especially an outside view, like as you pass Ft. Sam. It is not the ugliest downtown, nor is it much worse than any other downtown. I just feel that my limited view of Austin was a million times superior to San Antonio. I did the tourist thing too though, so that could be the smoke in both of our eyes...

and I'm quite sure I've seen at least a few terrorists walking through the Riverwalk. They'd never think to look for them there though...

Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
ok, you may have me on this one.. the basement?
There's no basement at the Alamo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies