Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,370 times

Advertisements

I lived for most of my life in FL where they require you to have your ID to vote .To me ,this agrument is just plain silly and stupid .You have to show your ID and have one for nearly every walk of life .As for the "immigrants" have some kind of "unfairness" namely hispanics GO HOME GO HOME !!!! To my understanding that's the reason they instituted the ID law in the first place (according to a poll worker).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I lived for most of my life in FL where they require you to have your ID to vote .To me ,this agrument is just plain silly and stupid .You have to show your ID and have one for nearly every walk of life .As for the "immigrants" have some kind of "unfairness" namely hispanics GO HOME GO HOME !!!! To my understanding that's the reason they instituted the ID law in the first place (according to a poll worker).
Do you live in a large metro area, or not?

People living in cities don't need a photo ID for many things. Or they have a photo ID, but it doesn't list their address. Thats where these laws get sticky. If everyone is provided a free voter ID card, then I'd have no problem, its the cost, and thats a problem for many people. Even if its 10 dollars, thats a lot of money to some people.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Because getting a free ID is too much to ask from someone to help minimize the opportunity for fraud...
Do you even know that studies have shown that there is virtually no fraud? So, the GOP will disenfranchise millions of voters under the cover of voter non-existent fraud.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You telling me someone who was in the military doesn't realize having correct ID is actually important?
I was more interested in finding out how the 86 year old man was able to drive 176 miles without his driver license...

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Do you even know that studies have shown that there is virtually no fraud? So, the GOP will disenfranchise millions of voters under the cover of voter non-existent fraud.
Of course there's no fraud. They don't verify anything.

Look at that guy that registered his dog to vote.
He only got caught because he spoke up.

If you're NOT checking you'll never find anything wrong.

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
I asked for these examples earlier, but all I got was a city council fraud case in south carolina. Not exactly a Presidential or congressional race, which is the big fear, right?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And if you want to register to vote today, without the addition of a Voter ID card, that requirement does not change. It's been a requirement and will continue to be one. If you think this is an unfair charge, I suggest you take up this separate issue with your duly elected representatives.

It's never been a problem for me before. Nobody has ever stopped me from registering to vote for not showing photo ID.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's never been a problem for me before. Nobody has ever stopped me from registering to vote for not showing photo ID.
Then, pray tell, what exact requirements with respect to identification to register to vote in your state?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
If there is no verification, then there is no way to tell the amount of fraud or lack thereof. We do know that there are attempts to influence elections in other ways, so why would you think nobody would think to vote illegally if they know it isn't being checked? Why would we not take an obvious step when we know that there are millions in this country that do not belong and that have an interest in political outcomes?

Can you show me the disenfranchised millions you speak of?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
The issue I see is, What are these voter ID laws actually doing as far as ensuring the intergrety of the voting system?

As I said, Hawai'i imposed a voter ID but it it is to ensure the intergety of the Hawai'i voting system. That ensures that voters are leaglly 18 or over. It ensures that the voter is a US citizen eligable to vote. AND, the main purpose is to ensure that the person voting has the legal right to vote in that Hawai'i election district. The last item is something US giovernement identifications do not do and that is why on Hawai'i, your passport or militray ID or anything like that is not enought and you must have pre-verified your residency or prove it at time of voting.

I think many voter ID laws really will not prevent fraud on the scale they could because the focus is on "illegals" voting or keeping certain classes from voting. Like on Hawaii'i, the greatest number of illegal fraudulent voters were military or wealthy ping-pongers. That is why the so called right-wing, or conservatives, or reprublicans, or whatever you want to call them are the vocal group against hHwai'i's voter ID law because it makes no illusion as to who the fraud voters are and it makes sure the core reason needed for ID is being addressed by the ID requirment.

It also has no political message attached and that is hard for many to understand. I mean how can you sday a US Passport isn;t good enough to establish your rightt o vote? The answer is it proves only your a us citizen of age and not that you legal reside within the election district your voting. That is the part of Hawai'i's law that reduces the fraud that really occurs in elctrions all over the US. Think about it, you register to vote in Missisipi, go to Alabama and resigeter, how does those two states know your regiostered soemwhgere else? Or you live and reside in Texas but registered to vote in Hawai'i because you stay there there in Sept - November. So yuo walk into a Hawaii polling place after registering and show your passport for ID, is that supposed to be enough? Whats to stop you from doing a mail in ballot in an election in TX at the same time? truth si, that is such a common voter fraud and occurs probably 1,00,00 times to everytime some ilegal alien voted. yet the emphasis is on the us citizenship not the legality to be voting where they are voting. Fortunetely, on Hawai'i, thats what is being addresses so they are doing everything to catch these fraudulent voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies