Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most polling places are convenient enough for able-bodied people to walk to. If you need a ride to the polls, there are numbers to call that are published in the newspaper.
Oh, I get it. So it't the phone that has to be free or it's a poll tax, right? If I'm not able-bodied, I might not be able to pay for the phone and it equates to a poll tax if I need to get one to call for a ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
So you're in favor of punishing the innocent, such as this 86-year old man and thousands like him, for the (hypothetical) crimes of very few. Hmmm.
Where exactly do you have to travel over 100 miles to go vote?? And if he's irrisponsible enough not to bring his LICENSE when he DRIVES to go vote, then yes, he should be held accountable for his OWN actions! This is something I teach my boys all the time, if you forget something that you need, it's no one's fault but your own.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most polling places are convenient enough for able-bodied people to walk to. If you need a ride to the polls, there are numbers to call that are published in the newspaper.

Oh. . . My. . . . G*d! You have no understanding of poverty, I can see that. Did it ever occur to you that some people get their internet access via the library?

Wow, just wow!
It sure does.
That's why I brought up the common-sense solution of retooling how $15 might be spent in a week.

So then let me repeat your "Wow, just wow!" back to you.
Because God forbid anyone should attempt elementary math in order to come up with $15 measly dollars.

Actually, here's what ya do: You and all the other whiners pony up the incredible amount of $15 for each illegal you wish to aid,
how's that? Or, if you like, for each "poverty-stricken" person who cannot go without cigarettes, alcohol, or a trip to Whole Foods on the gov't dime.
That way:
they get their BC or other ID,
the rest of us don't pay for them,
you can pat yourself on the back self-importantly,
everyone's happy.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
South Carolina offered free id and free transportation to the DMV to get it, and the left still opposed it.
Link, and there is a difference between state and federal. I want to read the law.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
It sure does.
That's why I brought up the common-sense solution of retooling how $15 might be spent in a week.

So then let me repeat your "Wow, just wow!" back to you.
Because God forbid anyone should attempt elementary math in order to come up with $15 measly dollars.

Actually, here's what ya do: You and all the other whiners pony up the incredible amount of $15 for each illegal you wish to aid,
how's that? Or, if you like, for each "poverty-stricken" person who cannot go without cigarettes, alcohol, or a trip to Whole Foods on the gov't dime.
That way:
they get their BC or other ID,
the rest of us don't pay for them,
you can pat yourself on the back self-importantly,
everyone's happy.
I think you're the self-important one who's patting himself on the back.

Where do you get the idea I support any illegal immigrants. Where did I say that? Please post.

Whole Paycheck, er Foods? You go look at the demographics of a WF shopper, and tell me they're on welfare.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not "some form", its specific forms of state issue ID that costs money, and some of these people can not afford an extra 40 dollars to get them.
Where does it cost $40 to get a photo id??

How much do state ID cards cost? - DMV Answers

The most expensive is $33.50. And really, if you can't afford an ID which you need for just about everything unless you're under 18 years of age, then you've got bigger problems to worry about than just voting!

Actually I did some further research on this and OR DMV does charge $45 bucks for their ID cards (Ca & NV it's only $12). But it seems to me, that if the price of the ID card is the problem, then the people in those states should talk to their legislature about changing the prices. The price shouldn't be what stops the voter ID laws. These laws are just simply smart to avoid any voter fraud and it doesn't discriminate against anyone! Everyone, despite age/color/religion/sex must show an ID to VOTE. How does that descriminate against any group of people?

Most of the states have fee waivers or special fees for those of low income or the homeless... so really there are VERY few people who could even claim not to be able to afford to get the drivers license. Besides Voting, there are so many other reasons you have to have an ID for,(cashing a check, getting a bank account, working, driving) why should needing one to vote suddenly make a difference?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Where does it cost $40 to get a photo id??

How much do state ID cards cost? - DMV Answers

The most expensive is $33.50. And really, if you can't afford an ID which you need for just about everything unless you're under 18 years of age, then you've got bigger problems to worry about than just voting!

Actually I did some further research on this and OR DMV does charge $45 bucks for their ID cards (Ca & NV it's only $12). But it seems to me, that if the price of the ID card is the problem, then the people in those states should talk to their legislature about changing the prices. The price shouldn't be what stops the voter ID laws. These laws are just simply smart to avoid any voter fraud and it doesn't discriminate against anyone! Everyone, despite age/color/religion/sex must show an ID to VOTE. How does that descriminate against any group of people?

Most of the states have fee waivers or special fees for those of low income or the homeless... so really there are VERY few people who could even claim not to be able to afford to get the drivers license. Besides Voting, there are so many other reasons you have to have an ID for,(cashing a check, getting a bank account, working, driving) why should needing one to vote suddenly make a difference?
I rounded up. Then there is the drivers license test, which you have to pay for, etc.

They are listing just the cost of the license, not the cost of everything to get to the point where you can pay for the license.

Most states, I know Kentucky did, charge more for a state issued ID card then they do a license, because you don't take the written and driving tests like you do and they have to offset that cost.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
In the states that have passed voter ID laws they have made FREE ID's available if you cannot afford one.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Link, and there is a difference between state and federal. I want to read the law.
Gov. Haley plans rides to the DMV for ID cards | The Post and Courier - Charleston, South Carolina

To vote under the new law, an individual will need a driver's license, a state-issued ID card, a military ID or a passport. New voter registration cards with picture IDs are also planned but are not yet available.

"What I said was, 'If we have to take you ourselves, we are going to make sure that you have the picture ID you need to vote,' " the Republican governor said. "Our goal is to make sure we have more people voting rather than less."

Individuals who want a ride can call 1-855-StateID through Sept. 22, said Kevin Shwedo, the director of the Motor Vehicles Department.Over the phone, state officials will go over the documents an individuals needs to get an ID card, which are free to those 17 and older. Those documents are a birth certificate, a Social Security card and a document, such as a utility bill, with the individual's name and address for proof of residency.

For those that lack one of those documents, Shwedo said the DMV officials will discuss how they can get them. Once they have all the documents necessary, the DMV will give them a two-hour window for when they can expect to get picked up on Sept. 28.

Here is the legislation:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_...bills/3003.htm

It also includes this provision:

(b) If an elector does not produce a valid and current photograph identification because the elector suffers from a reasonable impediment that prevents the elector from obtaining photograph identification, he may complete an affidavit under the penalty of perjury at the polling place and affirm that the elector: (i) is the same individual who personally appeared at the polling place; (ii) cast the provisional ballot on election day; and (iii) the elector suffers from a reasonable impediment that prevents him from obtaining photograph identification. The elector also shall list the impediment, unless otherwise prohibited by state or federal law. Upon completion of the affidavit, the elector may cast a provisional ballot. The affidavit must be submitted with the provisional ballot envelope and be filed with the county board of registration and elections before certification of the election by the county board of canvassers.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
No, the most expensive is 40 dollars, then there is the drivers license test, which you have to pay for, etc.

They are listing just the cost of the license, not the cost of everything to get to the point where you can pay for the license.

Most states, I know Kentucky did, charge more for a state issued ID card then they do a license, because you don't take the written and driving tests like you do and they have to offset that cost.
It's not a license. It's a STATE ID. They are separate items.

Kentucky..$12 and your SS card gets you a state ID.

http://www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky/id-cards.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies