Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 AM

371 posts, read 816,437 times

Advertisements

I'm not judging, I'm just curious for an answer. I was reading this article in the LA Times this morning:

Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Maybe it correlates with religion. I'm guessing, but it seems those without college degrees are more likely to be evangelical, and thus identify with Republicans on social issues.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I'm not judging, I'm just curious for an answer. I was reading this article in the LA Times this morning:

Maybe it correlates with religion. I'm guessing, but it seems those without college degrees are more likely to be evangelical, and thus identify with Republicans on social issues.

I don't care what any poll says I have a college degree and I HATE THEM ALL.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post

Most people that I know have college degrees and most of them vote Republican. What does that say about your poll? Some of these polls are pathetic.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
GOP is usually someone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, whereas Democrats who are born poor only have education as an option to bootstrap themselves up out of poverty.

And if you look at the incessant GOP attacks on education (like Rush making his snide comment about Tricia McMillan being "overeducated" because she has a bachelor's degree- huh? ) and promoting the 'gosh-darn-it's-us-Real-Americans-against-those-pointy-headed-liberals' image it's no wonder that educated people like will be turned off by Republicans.

You can add to that the slew of monstrously stupid chain emails that are spewed out by RWNJs with no concept of honesty or logic and really, how can any educated person even want to be associated with that tripe?

Really the GOP has painted itself into the corner of portraying itself as the "real" America (read truck driving, gun-totin' good ol'boy and white) and basically telling everyone who doesn't fit into their mold that they are unpatriotic, leeches, and who-knows-what. So is it any surprise? They go and pi** almost everyone off and wonder why their numbers are dwindling?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,689 times
Higher education are breeding grounds for Communists. I've heard people say that the Devil has taken over them.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Why do people equate college degrees with vocation, and to a slightly lesser degree, capacity?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
It's a loaded question, the answer to which is obvious. Level of education and intelligence.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
GOP is usually someone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth ... Really the GOP has painted itself into the corner of portraying itself as the "real" America (read truck driving, gun-totin' good ol'boy and white)
I think you make some good points, but I am amused by the image of people being born with silver spoons in their mouths growing up to be gun-totin- truck drivers.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
The OP is implying that people (i.e. Democrats, liberals) who earn college degrees somehow possess a higher intelligence than those who don't have a secondary education (i.e. vocational workers, rural, socially conservative whites and blacks).

In my book, anybody who allows himself to go into hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt in order to get a worthless piece of paper that has never guaranteed him a good paying job (liberal arts degrees, lol) makes the college 'elite' the dummies.

On top of that, your commencement speaker was Snooki. Now there's an intellectual college grads in debt should emulate.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
GOP is usually someone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, whereas Democrats who are born poor only have education as an option to bootstrap themselves up out of poverty.
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read around here in a long time.

The funny thing is that the dems are so far to the right now that they have become the Republicans of 20 years ago.

Not that there is much difference between the parties but I find it utterly hillarious that todays dems which are deep in bed with the corporations, which have helped offshore, hurt the unions by joining in on NAFTA and so forth.....are being cheered not because of their actions but because you just want the democrats to win.

Truly bizarre, but hey that's what happens when you don't vote principals and volunteer to be a party slave. When the party changes you just blindly follow them.

Most of you vote republican and don't even know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.