Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yes, you absolutely need proper authority when you are interfering with someone else's civil liberties. Walking around the neighborhood while being a black man might seem like suspicious and potentially illegal behavior to you, but to the rest of us who believe in civil rights, a black kid walking around the neighborhood at night is just that -- a black teenager walking at night.

You can ask them whatever you want, but stop dancing around the issue. The perpetrator did more than just ask questions; he confronted him physically. If you ask someone what are they doing here and they tell you to kiss their ass, there is nothing you can legally do to stop them unless you happen to see them actually committing a crime. And you can only use deadly force when deadly force is being threatened against you.

I'm sorry but there is no way around this. It was Zimmerman who went out and confronted a young, black, unarmed teenager who was walking to a store at night. It was Zimmerman who was armed. It was Zimmerman who then decided to escalate the situation with the use of physical force in attempting to physically confront Martin and then he used a loaded deadly firearm to then shoot the victim during the altercation. Zimmerman initiated the situation, he escalated the situation, and he ended the situation with lethal force. As far as I'm concerned, he should be tried for murder. There should also be a serious investigation as to whether Martin's civil rights were violated by authorities.

That's right -- and it can go both ways. They're potentially liable if a "concerned citizen" goes out and gets his ass beat by the assailants, and they're also liable if the citizen becomes a vigilante and illegally interfere's with this person's rights by mistake. The 911 dispatcher made absolutely the right call by advising Zimmerman not to get involved. You cannot confront someone and interfere with someone's civil liberties just because you suspect they're up to no good.

I think it's you who's having a hard time grasping the law. I don't care that the local authorities haven't found any criminal wrongdoing yet. The federal government will have the last word on this one.
Him approaching Trayvon is not infringing on his civil liberties at all...

The only entity that has the capacity to infringe and/or remove somebodies civil liberties is the State because they are absolute. You clearly do not have an understanding of what a civil liberty is.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Yes he did. It’s called murder.

If your son was chased down and killed would you be ok with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
What does size matter?? Seriously, how is the 100 lb argument valid??

Have you seen Zimmermans pics?? He is fat and clearly out of shape.

I will take a spry 150lbs over a sloppy 250 lbs. in a fight 8 days a week.

And what business did he have approaching him ?? He was capt. of the Neighborhood Watch team...so obviously he had the neighborhoods blessing. I don't think he needed to take the hero role so seriously but he didn't do anything outside of the law by doing so.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
He was the neighborhood watch guy and seeing how there had been several burglaries in the area he was worried about the thugish teen looking in all the houses as you can hear him say he is doing on the tape. The teen walked towards him once and realizing he had called the cops on him decided to run off,obviously he had a guilty conscience at the least at the other end he might have been trying to find some place to break in to.Either way 1 less thug we would have had to pay for the next 20 years while he served time.
Wait what? Dude what is up with your posts? Its like your not even trying to hide it. Have you even seen pictures of the kid? A Thug? Lol. A kid with no record what so ever. And yet you label him a thug. And yet you say nothing about the guy that actually had a record of getting into it with cops. Oh and the guy was self-appointed neighborhood watch. No one elected him.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
He was capt. of the Neighborhood Watch team...so obviously he had the neighborhoods blessing. I don't think he needed to take the hero role so seriously but he didn't do anything outside of the law by doing so.
He could have been an off-duty police officer, and it still wouldn't have mattered. You cannot interfere with someone's civil liberties without proper authority and without cause. If you see someone speeding down the highway, you are not allowed to pursue them and pull them over -- that's what the police are for. You can temporarily detain someone under certain circumstances that are carefully prescribed by the letter of the law, and those circumstances are typically when someone has clearly provided evidence that they have violated the law, are attempting to flee the scene of a crime, or attempting to flee authorities who are clearly engaged in lawful pursuit of a suspect. Those are typically the only circumstances under which detention of a person can be allowed, and that is not an indefinite detention either. Even blocking someone's normal free movement without even touching them can be considered a form of illegal detention.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Wait what? Dude what is up with your posts? Its like your not even trying to hide it. Have you even seen pictures of the kid? A Thug? Lol. A kid with no record what so ever. And yet you label him a thug. And yet you say nothing about the guy that actually had a record of getting into it with cops. Oh and the guy was self-appointed neighborhood watch. No one elected him.
He usually makes the most ridiculous, biased,judgmental posts with no facts, so just get used to it .

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
To be honest we don't know who got physical first. For all we know the kid got irritated at this guy following him and jumped on him.
That does not appear to be consistent with what witnesses have reported thus far. The only one that we know of who is giving that account is Zimmerman himself.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yes he did. It’s called murder.

If your son was chased down and killed would you be ok with that?
Not speaking about the killing....

I am talking about Zimmerman being overzealous about the "watchman" routine precluding the killing. By the time it escalated we don't know if it was out of self-defense/fear or just anger.

No, i wouldn't be OK with it if it was my son...what kind of question is that? Naturally, anybody is going to let their emotions cloud their thought process under those circumstances.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That does not appear to be consistent with what witnesses have reported thus far. The only one that we know of who is giving that account is Zimmerman himself.
We know both of them were on the ground...and that 2 people were wrestling It's just hard to say if the teen got irritated and hit the guy, or if this guy grabbed the teen and it went from there.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Not speaking about the killing....

I am talking about Zimmerman being overzealous about the "watchman" routine precluding the killing. By the time it escalated we don't know if it was out of self-defense/fear or just anger.

No, i wouldn't be OK with it if it was my son...what kind of question is that? Naturally, anybody is going to let their emotions cloud their thought process under those circumstances.
That's the key thing here, did zimmerman have reason to believe his life was in danger? See we haven't heard a statement from the police on what he told them so it's hard to say.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Him approaching Trayvon is not infringing on his civil liberties at all...
You can ask and you can approach, but you cannot interfere or intimidate someone into behaving differently than they would have outside of your presence. Intentionally imposing yourself in such a way that interferes with their free movement without proper cause is itself potentially a crime -- a misdemeanor, but still a violation of the law nevertheless.

Quote:
The only entity that has the capacity to infringe and/or remove somebodies civil liberties is the State because they are absolute. You clearly do not have an understanding of what a civil liberty is.
Uh, I think it's you who is clearly lacking in understanding what a civil liberty is. An individual can absolutely interfere with someone else's civil liberties in the same way that government entities can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies