Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:37 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times

Advertisements

In terms of the draft, I have one big question as to what the military would do in a certain scenario. Let me explain. For anyone who has been in the military over the course of the last twenty years they know of the "golden flow" that occurs quite inconveniently. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, the military is probably one of the strictest jobs in the country in terms of drug usage. Only in the military can you actually go to jail for using drugs when you are off duty. Many typical employers use drug testing to screen possible employees and only then, while some use a continuous drug testing program. Regardless, this brings me to the question of the draft. If a draft were to occur in this day and age, would drug testing be diminished? And would it be a requirement to pass a drug test before entering military service? Keep in mind, that during the last draft, drug testing was not used, and frankly, I don't think anyone cared. However, I can firmly testify that a failed drug test in the military is a BIG issue. Even a history of drug usage prior to entering military service is typically an automatic disbarment from the service. So my question stands: If a draft were enacted what would become of drug testing as it pertains to the military? I have a hard time believing that the military would eliminate it because of a draft, yet I don't think it's very difficult to see an 18-year old kid smoking a joint to avoid the draft. In essence, this would be the equivalent of going to Canada during the Vietnam era. Anyone else have any input on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Congressman Charles Rangel has already introduced a bill (http://www.house.gov/list/press/ny15_rangel/CBRStatementonDraft02142006.html - broken link) to bring back the draft. According to this article is has been killed....but, for how long? I'm thankful to be significantly older than the proposed new and improved draft age of 42. This is one of the few times in my life that I have sincerely felt that older is beter.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
In terms of the draft, I have one big question as to what the military would do in a certain scenario. Let me explain. For anyone who has been in the military over the course of the last twenty years they know of the "golden flow" that occurs quite inconveniently. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, the military is probably one of the strictest jobs in the country in terms of drug usage. Only in the military can you actually go to jail for using drugs when you are off duty. Many typical employers use drug testing to screen possible employees and only then, while some use a continuous drug testing program. Regardless, this brings me to the question of the draft. If a draft were to occur in this day and age, would drug testing be diminished? And would it be a requirement to pass a drug test before entering military service? Keep in mind, that during the last draft, drug testing was not used, and frankly, I don't think anyone cared. However, I can firmly testify that a failed drug test in the military is a BIG issue. Even a history of drug usage prior to entering military service is typically an automatic disbarment from the service. So my question stands: If a draft were enacted what would become of drug testing as it pertains to the military? I have a hard time believing that the military would eliminate it because of a draft, yet I don't think it's very difficult to see an 18-year old kid smoking a joint to avoid the draft. In essence, this would be the equivalent of going to Canada during the Vietnam era. Anyone else have any input on this?
That's a good point as zero tolerance is pretty much what its name implies it is..
I have no idea how they would work it, but I also hope they never bring back the draft. I would've never wanted to serve next to a draftee personally. I preferred to know that the person next to me probably had my back, at least 99% of the time.. I would hate to be under fire and hear someone yell "game over man"

Old 09-15-2007, 05:01 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That's a good point as zero tolerance is pretty much what its name implies it is..
I have no idea how they would work it, but I also hope they never bring back the draft. I would've never wanted to serve next to a draftee personally. I preferred to know that the person next to me probably had my back, at least 99% of the time.. I would hate to be under fire and hear someone yell "game over man"
Yeah I know what you mean. Fighting next to a draftee would scare the heck out of me.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Back in the days when I was in the Air Force ( late 60's -- early 70's ) everyone was a volunteer. BUT, many of those volunteers were in the Air Force so as NOT to get drafted. ( Most of my contemporaries were not too fond of going to Viet Nam, knowing damn well that their chances of coming back in one piece were slim to none. ) IF my memory is accurrate, that war was even more loathed than the current fiasco.

Every son, daughter, nephew, niece, & grandchild of every congress man & woman supporting the war in Iraq should automatically be drafted, forming a platoon or ( whatever ) of draftees without the leadership of any volunteers, and sent to Iraq ASAP. Any volunteers, upon realizing the horrors of war, wanting to immediately end their military career, ought to be allowed to do so without any negative connotations. Chalk it up to a BAD decision! Those who really want to stay can stay, but I strongly suggest raising an E1's salary to $100,000 right out of boot camp. Any person completing a tour of duty gets TAX FREE status for the rest of their life, and NEVER spends a g*dd*m nickel on health care. Those men & women who put up with this crap deserve to be taken care of as well as any CEO of any g*dd*m corporation on the planet, instead of becomming forgotten & abandoned by a government that purports to value their service..

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-15-2007 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies