Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times

Advertisements

SARASOTA --
A 17-year-old from Sarasota has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of two British tourists.

Shawn Tyson killed James Cooper, 25, and James Kouzaris, 24, on April 16, 2011.

Defense lawyers were scheduled to call another witness Wednesday but did not. The state then rested its case and closing arguments started a short time later.

According to investigators, the men had been drinking heavily that night and somehow ended up in the Sarasota neighborhood of Newtown.

Prosecutors say Tyson shot the men multiple times after a botched robbery attempt. Earlier this week, one of his friends, Latrice Washington, testified to that claim.

"He shot one of them in the side and one of them fell instantly,'' Washington said on the stand. "And then the other one was crying for his life and he (Tyson) shot him and emptied the clip on him.''

Teen found guilty of killing British tourists

Within 10 days this will be the second teenager who has been convicted of murder...this one killed 2 people, 2 young English tourists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
What was sad is that when this occured many on the Sarasota boards(many of whom are realtors) blamed the victims. Can't admit the area has any problems.

"They must have been looking for drugs". No, they were two young guys who were looking for an IHOP and not knowing the area ended up in a bad area, which in place like Sarasota which is not that big isn't that difficult to do.

It's good he got 1st degree murder but two families still lost two young sons.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
What a sad story. I think some misunderstand the ability of agents to identify areas as bad. We are obligated to not provide such commentary.. We just can't discuss protected classes. As soon as you see a thread turn towards a protected class you will see us vacate.

Florida takes protecting tourists seriously, I expect you will find this act will find its end at the point of a needle. When we have people act like animals in any area I have no qualms that they be put down like a dangerous animal. 17 yo is old enough to know better.

I feel for the British families.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
sign of the times...

Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Truly sad. Any murder is horrible, but something about tourists being killed is even more sad. When you're on vacation, you are looking to create memories, not meet a tragic end.

Very sad.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,535 times
I wonder if they were driving or walking when they ended up in that neighborhood.

If driving they should have taken Chevy Chase's character from National Lampoon's Vacation:

"Roll em up"

Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
It won't matter. Wrong race of the victims. They'll just decide the two white guys were at fault for being in the wrong neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
I don't suppose Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson were in court to comfort the victims families.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Wow, it took a whole 7 posts for this to turn into a racial issue? You guys are slow tonight!

Condolences to the families, and that is all I can really say about it.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,642 times
Sarasota murder: Shawn Tyson, 17, found GUILTY of killing 2 British tourists in Florida | Mail Online

Transcript of a phonecall this savage made.

Tyson: 'What's up, bro?'
Brother: 'What's up, lil' man?'
Tyson: 'S***.'
Brother: 'What them crackers talkin' about?'
Tyson: 'S***. I don't even know right now. I don't know why they talkin' about.'
Brother: 'Yeah, I don't know what them crackers talkin' about. S***, like. You was in the house, like.'
Tyson: 'I know... that's what I keep on... these crackers talkin' about that somebody say they seen me out there or some s***.'
Brother: 'Them crackers trippin', man.'
Tyson: 'Hell yeah.'
Brother: 'S***, you're chate, through. You know what I'm sayin' like? You ain't got no guns or nothin'. Like f*** them crackers talkin' about.'
Tyson: 'Only thing is, they found the bullets, though.'
Brother: 'Huh?'
Tyson: 'They found the bullets.'
Brother: 'Oh. Damn!'
Tyson: 'That's the only thing that's gonna f*** me up.'
Brother: 'They found them in the house?'
Tyson: 'M-hm-mm.'

Odd how the media has ignored the racist nature of the savage in this case, blatant though it is, but gone to amazing lengths to try and ensure Zimmermans indecipherable mumblings are interpreted as a racial ephitet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies