Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
In California as long as you claim that it was self defense, you are given a lollipop and sent home?
Maybe it's more common than we'd like to accept. Remember this story in Oakland CA? The shooter was charged with involuntary manslaughter, even though the victim (who was Black) was unarmed, face down and shot in the back.

"On January 1, 2009, Oakland, CA transit officer Johannes Mehserle killed Oscar Grant in cold blood. Unarmed, he threatened no one and didn’t resist. Yet he was thrust face-down on the ground, shot in the back, and murdered. Videotape on at least four cameras confirmed it. USA Today said five bystanders taped it."

Maybe someone will report this as off-topic, but I think it's very relevant to the Zimmerman-Martin case. It shows a nonchalant attitude when certain individuals are killed.

Here is an article from [URL="http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/03/27/stand-your-ground-laws-legalize-murder/"]Veterans Today[/URL] I found interesting and also very disturbing.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: correction: back, not head

Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,988,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
The police report is now public and the talking heads are quiet. One just can't rush to judgment, the Sharptons, Jessie James' and Co. should be fined for inciting civil unrest and that Spike Lee should be jailed. One thing is to demand an investigation, another is to call out a lynching mob, what a pack of ignoramuses!

The police report states: GZ was bleeding from his head/nose, and the back of his jacket was wet with what appeared to be grass stains. GZ also stated to police that he was screaming for help and no one came to his aid.
Neither Al Sharpton nor Jesse Jackson should be fined for civil unrest. If Spike Lee should be jailed what should happen to George Zimmerman?

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire_63 View Post
The Sanford police chief is BLACK.
That's a very recent development.

10,029 posts, read 8,355,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Don't really care whether Zimmerman is a racist or not. Don't care about any racist, really. As long as you don't approach me with that nonsense, you can think/feel whatever you want. But most racists are cowardly, powerless punks, so that usually works itself out.
Why don't I believe that? Well, because I often don't believe lies.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,335,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Its my understanding that there were break ins in that neighborhood and at least the majority of the suspects were black.
They were suspects but were they guilty? Were they arrested? Anyone can be a suspect but that does not mean that they did anything

Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Why don't I believe that? Well, because I often don't belive lies.
You don't believe what?

That I don't care about racists?
Or that they are cowardly powerless punks?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
George ZImmerman may very well be a racist. Or at least a profiler with bias against black men.

But, the definition of "racist" has nothing to do with "those in power" vs. "those not in power."

THAT is a race theory sociologist qualifier of "racism" that has no widespread acceptance in general society, and is often most adopted by those themselves who harbor racist thoughts, but want to be shielded from the "racist" label because they don't consider themselves part of the "power" structure.

The definitions of "racist" include:

rac·ism   /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show Spelled[rey-siz-uhm]

noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

#3 especially can be applicable to anyone of any race or social status or power structure, for any reason.
That's the standard dictionary definition yes? Well let us take another look at the term shall we and expound on what I had said earlier.

Racism as explained in the college text book, "Diversity Conciousness" written by Richard D. Bucher is as follows:

Racism - "In some instances, it refers to discrimination based on the belief that one race is superior to another. According to this definition, anyone can be racist. From another point of view, racism requires more than just acting out racial prejudice. It requires power. This means that those in power are the only ones who can be racist." (pg.-97)

Now as we can clearly see the explanation that I deposited more than backs up my earlier statement. Racism isn't only confined to Whites. It can and has settled into the hearts of many people of many colors.

So in this instance of the Zimmerman - Martin case, Zimmerman is racist because he was the one in power during the situation. Argue all you want against it - it's just a truth you're not willing to accept because it goes against what you were taught and how you were brought up.

What you responded with was what you were led to believe. I countered with what it really is. Agree or disagree - doesn't matter.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's a very recent development.
And very convenient. Similar to Michael Steele's appointment as the GOP's Chairman when Obama came on the scene.

The old "We're not racist...look at this random black guy we love" approach.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Neither Al Sharpton nor Jesse Jackson should be fined for civil unrest. If Spike Lee should be jailed what should happen to George Zimmerman?
I was upset that Spike Lee tweeted an address to his followers too. But why aren't the people who are talking about Spike Lee also mentioning Roseanne Barr? She did the same thing.

Anyway, it's protected under free speech as far as I know, unless he specifically told others to harm the Zimmerman family. Even then, I'm not sure it would be illegal. I mean, most talk radio hosts say a lot worse things. By the way, any home address is a public record and very easy to find. If I see a home I want to buy or even am curious who lives there, I simply need to go to the county web site and look up the address. You can do the same by entering a person's name if you want to look at properties he owns. You can look at the tax record and see if he paid the property taxes, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,335,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You're not worth the time either, but I think your flawed "logic" and math needs to be addressed before the stupidy spreads and people start repeating it.

First, link the reliable source that says the complex is 20% black.

Second, use your brain and ask yourself how likely it is that the people who live in the complex were the ones commiting the rash of crimes in the complex. Only a moron would commit crimes in their own gated neighborhood, where neighbors probably know them and could easily identify them. Only an idiot wouldn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out that the people causing the rash of crimes are almost definitely coming from OUTSIDE the complex, i.e., THEY DON'T LIVE THERE. So of the people coming into the complex and commiting crimes, what percentage of them are white/black/hispanic? How does your "math" come out on that one genius?
I really do not want to take sides on this one but you have not considered the fact that someone in the complex could be aiding someone else on the outside. The only reason that I'm mentioning this is because I have seen this before were one person "cases" the area and another robs it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies