Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If California never existed, those companies would have simply been founded in a different city.
That may or may not be true (and could be debated on a philosophical level), but in the real world they were started in California - and you're probably using California-made products & services every day, not to mention eating produce that comes from here. Sorry amigo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
not to mention eating produce that comes from here.
Sorry to say that more produce is coming from foreign naitons being that the good old Federal government of ours shut off delta water to Cali farmers in order to save a few smelt fish!:-(

Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is one reason why California does not produce great diverse thinkers in culture and education like the east coast does.

How California's Colleges Indoctrinate Students
A new report on the UC system documents the plague of politicized classrooms. The problem is national in scope.
The politicization of higher education by activist professors and compliant university administrators deprives students of the opportunity to acquire knowledge and refine their minds. It also erodes the nation's civic cohesion and its ability to preserve the institutions that undermine democracy in America.

So argues "A Crisis of Competence: The Corrupting Effect of Political Activism in the University of California," (http://educationviews.org/2012/03/31/a-crisis-of-competence-the-corrupting-effect-of-political-activism-in-the-university-of-california/ - broken link) a new report by the California Association of Scholars, a division of the National Association of Scholars (NAS). The report is addressed to the Regents of the University of California, which has ultimate responsibility for governing the UC system, but the pathologies it diagnoses prevail throughout the country.
The sentences in bold are oxymorons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It's not just CA universities, try Colorado?
Oh, c'mon! CU's reputation as a "hippie school" is from 40 years ago. It's never been that way in the 30+ years that I've lived in CO. The science and engineering depts (by far the largest) are actually standardly conservative.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just don't say anything bad about Detroits former mayor Kwame or you know who will show up to defend how awesome he was.
What's that supposed to mean? I defended Kilpartrick? Where?

Besides, i don't live in the city, so i'm in no position to defend him or excoriate him. I know what his crimes were, but i don't really remember hearing any complaints about his actual legislation from the people that live there.

And i'll leave it at that.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Am I supposed to take offense to what you're saying? Does the fact that I don't agree with a lot of things my state does discredit anything that I say about California? Nope.
Don't give a damn if you're offended or not. That's not the point.

People...throwing....rocks...glass houses. That's what i'm talking about.

Your state ONLY exists because the taxpayers bailed out the only industry that matters in that particular state. If it goes down, it all goes down...western Michigan included because producing wooden shoes and butter aint gonna cut it. The only part of Michigan that matters is the Southeastern portion...the counties of Wayne, Saginaw, Genesee, Ingham, Oakland, Macomb, Monroe, Washtenaw, Livingston, and St. Clair...the rest of the state is worthless and produces nothing that you can't find elsewhere.

So you can talk about California in some degrading way if you want to, but your own state can't sustain itself either.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I'm smelling a threadfail.

A trash talking report from a right wing think tank putting down the finest public education system in the US, perhaps the world.

A bunch of people with no clue talking trash.

*****GONG!!!!*****

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Default "New Study Shows Radicals Rule at University of California"

"The California Association of Scholars, a division of the National Association of Scholars, have just released an incendiary report showing that all nine of the University of California’s campuses have been compromised by too many politicized courses and radical faculty members. CAS members include a number of current or past professors from the UC system..."

Findings include a sharp rise in faculty who identify as radicals; a number of whom are openly avowed Marxists. Political activism, which is not supposed to be allowed, is promoted. And very disturbing is the dumbing down with regard to the actual academics which was once so highly regarded at these schools especially with regard to history. "Several departments attempt to erase the study of Western tradition. History majors are now not required to take a survey course in Western civilization on any of the nine University of California campuses. Four more UC campuses have dropped their American History requirements (many UC students cannot even answer basic questions about American or World History)."

"Suppression of free speech is commonplace. Speakers at UC Berkeley who have been shouted down by protesters include Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Secretary of State Madeline Albright, and Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Conner..."

New Study Shows Radicals Rule at University of California

The full report can be read here:

http://www.nas.org/images/documents/...Competence.pdf

Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Well, Berkeley students are the left's version of the Tea Party. They despise anyone who does not ascribe to their world views.

They grow out of it....I wish I could say the same for the TP!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, Berkeley students are the left's version of the Tea Party. They despise anyone who does not ascribe to their world views.

They grow out of it....I wish I could say the same for the TP!
That's funny since I see no evidence of these idiots growing out of there communist views.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"The California Association of Scholars, a division of the National Association of Scholars, have just released an incendiary report showing that all nine of the University of California’s campuses have been compromised by too many politicized courses and radical faculty members. CAS members include a number of current or past professors from the UC system..."

Findings include a sharp rise in faculty who identify as radicals; a number of whom are openly avowed Marxists. Political activism, which is not supposed to be allowed, is promoted. And very disturbing is the dumbing down with regard to the actual academics which was once so highly regarded at these schools especially with regard to history. "Several departments attempt to erase the study of Western tradition. History majors are now not required to take a survey course in Western civilization on any of the nine University of California campuses. Four more UC campuses have dropped their American History requirements (many UC students cannot even answer basic questions about American or World History)."

"Suppression of free speech is commonplace. Speakers at UC Berkeley who have been shouted down by protesters include Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Secretary of State Madeline Albright, and Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Conner..."

New Study Shows Radicals Rule at University of California

The full report can be read here:

http://www.nas.org/images/documents/...Competence.pdf
NAS is an extremist radical group. Pot calling kettle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies