Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM

744 posts, read 812,097 times

Advertisements

Back in the old days they actually cared about future generations, now they just feel entitled and it's all me me me, screw the grand kids.

If you're past 65 years old and you need an organ transplant of any kind you shouldn't get it unless there are no younger candidates in need, also no 100s of thousand-millions$$$ worth of treatment for you unless you pay out of pocket. Seriously they should be given a big bag of heroin so they can live out their last days comfortably but don't burden society with extremely expensive end/near-end of life care and die like a man, with dignity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
I don't fault people for wanting to live longer, that's a personal choice that you and you alone should make when you get to that point. I find greater fault with a system that lets the young and healthy die.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Back in the old days they actually cared about future generations, now they just feel entitled and it's all me me me, screw the grand kids.

If you're past 65 years old and you need an organ transplant of any kind you shouldn't get it unless there are no younger candidates in need, also no 100s of thousand-millions$$$ worth of treatment for you unless you pay out of pocket. Seriously they should be given a big bag of heroin so they can live out their last days comfortably but don't burden society with extremely expensive end/near-end of life care and die like a man, with dignity.
You accuse old people of being selfish yet state " If you're past 65 years old and you need an organ transplant of any kind you shouldn't get it unless there are no younger candidates in need "

What are you? 14?

That's not being selfish?

Maybe if old folks are selfish it's because the young haven't proven they're capable of pulling their heads from their butts.

Last edited by burdell; 04-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:

When you reach 65 will you still feel this way? Who are you to say how long people should live?

Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
It is what kind of world we leave to our children that is our responsibility; and we must not shirk our responsibility for the sake of selfishness. John Ruskin most cogently expressed this sentiment in one of his essays thus:

"The benevolent regards and purposes of men in masses seldom can be supposed to extend beyond their own generation. They may look to posterity as an audience, may hope for its attention, and labor for its praise: they may trust to its recognition of unacknowledged merit, and demand its justice for contemporary wrong. But all this is mere selfishness, and does not involve the slightest regard to, or consideration of, the interest of those by whose numbers we would fain swell the circle of our flatterers, and by whose authority we would gladly support our presently disputed claims. The idea of self-denial for the sake of posterity, of practicing present economy for the sake of debtors yet unborn, of planting forests that our descendants may live under their shade, or of raising cities for future nations to inhabit, never, I suppose, efficiently takes place among publicly recognized motives of exertion. Yet these are not the less our duties; nor is our part fitly sustained upon the earth, unless the range of our intended and deliberate usefulness include, not only the companions but the successors of our pilgrimage. God has lent us the earth for our life; it is a great entail. It belongs as much to those who are to come after us, and by whose names are already written in the book of creation, as to us; and we have no right, by anything that we do or neglect, to involve them in unnecessary penalties, or deprive them of benefits which it was in our power to bequeath. And this the more, because it is one of the appointed conditions of the labour of men that, in proportion to the time between the seed-sowing and the harvest, it is the fulness of the fruit; and that generally, therefore, the farther off we place our aim, and the less we desire to be ourselves the witnesses of what we have laboured for, the more wide and rich will be the measure of our success. Men cannot benefit those that are with them as they can those who come after them; and of all the pulpits from which human voice is ever sent forth, there is none from which it reaches so far as from the grave."

- John Ruskin, The Lamp of Memory (1849)

Old 04-01-2012, 02:39 PM

266 posts, read 179,904 times
I think there should be death panels for all people over 60. People just live way to long these days. It's gotta stop.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
I think there should be death panels for all people over 60. People just live way to long these days. It's gotta stop.
Bring it on, there'll be plenty of old folks willing to 'assist' youngsters so inclined to not get close to 60.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:

Or maybe carousel via Logan's Run, eh?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
When you reach 65 will you still feel this way? Who are you to say how long people should live?
I'll bet they are Liberal snot nosed kid! Talk about selfish!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:

False premise, and you sound like the selfish one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies