Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:31 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
I think there should be death panels for all people over 60. People just live way to long these days. It's gotta stop.
Will you be heading the death squad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think perhaps th Op is at a age where is is starting to ralise that his lifestyle is funded by his parents and that may be chnage=g sonnwhen he is the funder of it.whta we have seen since the mid 60's is a growing trend i welath sharig that has lead to wide income dipsaity in abilty and going dependents on fewer and fewer providing for more an dmore depdnent s. But i believe that is about to chnage as the bill from borrowing to pay for it is coming to a end repalced by paying the bill plus interest.The world of medicine will never chnage as it too is funding based as always.A hospital building can't even exist on charity cases just as a start to look at the reality.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
I think we need a 30 day "Battle Royale" holiday in the US where we can all kill and fight with whoever we want. Survival of the fittest will determine who the true American patriots are.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Back in the old days they actually cared about future generations, now they just feel entitled and it's all me me me, screw the grand kids.

If you're past 65 years old and you need an organ transplant of any kind you shouldn't get it unless there are no younger candidates in need, also no 100s of thousand-millions$$$ worth of treatment for you unless you pay out of pocket. Seriously they should be given a big bag of heroin so they can live out their last days comfortably but don't burden society with extremely expensive end/near-end of life care and die like a man, with dignity.
I see that you yourself are a senior. If your life is in need of a organ transplant suddenly, i can see that you will turn it down right! And if you do need one in order to live, you are going to pay out of pocket right?

You do not sound as if your a senior. Todays 60's is yesteryears 40's, and seniors are living longer, so what do you propose, killing off everyone who is over 60, your are out of your friggin mind.
And just maybe back in the old days as you so put it, everyone cared about each other, i can see something happened to you, because you are selfish.

If your parents are still living, and they need a orgain trasplant in order to live, make sure to turn them down, because after all, you do not want your parents living past the age of 60's right?
If you do your a hypocrite.
Oh and you must be doing a lot of heroin.
The only people that are a burden to society, are lazy bums, that do not believe in working. And people who live off the system, guess what most of them are young.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
It is what kind of world we leave to our children that is our responsibility; and we must not shirk our responsibility for the sake of selfishness. John Ruskin most cogently expressed this sentiment in one of his essays thus:

"The benevolent regards and purposes of men in masses seldom can be supposed to extend beyond their own generation. They may look to posterity as an audience, may hope for its attention, and labor for its praise: they may trust to its recognition of unacknowledged merit, and demand its justice for contemporary wrong. But all this is mere selfishness, and does not involve the slightest regard to, or consideration of, the interest of those by whose numbers we would fain swell the circle of our flatterers, and by whose authority we would gladly support our presently disputed claims. The idea of self-denial for the sake of posterity, of practicing present economy for the sake of debtors yet unborn, of planting forests that our descendants may live under their shade, or of raising cities for future nations to inhabit, never, I suppose, efficiently takes place among publicly recognized motives of exertion. Yet these are not the less our duties; nor is our part fitly sustained upon the earth, unless the range of our intended and deliberate usefulness include, not only the companions but the successors of our pilgrimage. God has lent us the earth for our life; it is a great entail. It belongs as much to those who are to come after us, and by whose names are already written in the book of creation, as to us; and we have no right, by anything that we do or neglect, to involve them in unnecessary penalties, or deprive them of benefits which it was in our power to bequeath. And this the more, because it is one of the appointed conditions of the labour of men that, in proportion to the time between the seed-sowing and the harvest, it is the fulness of the fruit; and that generally, therefore, the farther off we place our aim, and the less we desire to be ourselves the witnesses of what we have laboured for, the more wide and rich will be the measure of our success. Men cannot benefit those that are with them as they can those who come after them; and of all the pulpits from which human voice is ever sent forth, there is none from which it reaches so far as from the grave."

- John Ruskin, The Lamp of Memory (1849)

Here's another quote:

"And if, on due and honest thought over these things, it seems that the kind of existence to which men are now summoned by every plea of pity and claim of right, may, for some time at least, not be a luxurious one; - consider whether, even supposing it guiltless, luxury would be desired by any of us, if we saw clearly at our sides the suffering which accompanies it in the world. Luxury is indeed possible in the future - innocent and exquisite; luxury for all, and by the help of all; but luxury at present can only be enjoyed by the ignorant; the cruelest man living could not sit at his feast, unless he sat blindfold. Raise the veil boldly; face the light; and if, as yet, the light of the eye can only be through tears, and the light of the body through sackcloth, go thou forth weeping, bearing precious seed, until the time come, and the kingdom, when Christ's gift of bread, and bequest of peace, shall be ‘‘Unto this last as unto thee’; and when, for earth's severed multitudes of the wicked and the weary, there shall be holier reconciliation than that of the narrow home, and calm economy, where the Wicked cease - not from trouble, but from troubling - and the Weary are at rest."

- John Ruskin, "Ad Valorem," Cornhill Magazine (1860); reprinted as Unto This Last (1862).

Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Wendell Phillips
You've sent these "quotes" off to Obama and the Democrats?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
There was nothing to indicate 'sarcasm' in the post.

Many, many folks feel that there is 'merit' in tongue-n-cheek posts like these, while others 'fail' to see the humor.

One other point .. If so many young folks feel that the older folks don't care about their future .. 'why' is it that they tend to 'overlook' the fact that the Obama administration is spending theirs and their children's future away?
(Do these young folks actually 'believe' that Obamacare will be paid out of pocket .. by Obama?)
When I read it after reading the OP and other comments, it was obvious to me it was biting sarcasm.

As for your other point, damn fine question. I'd like the OP to respond to that.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I see that you yourself are a senior. If your life is in need of a organ transplant suddenly, i can see that you will turn it down right! And if you do need one in order to live, you are going to pay out of pocket right?

You do not sound as if your a senior. Todays 60's is yesteryears 40's, and seniors are living longer, so what do you propose, killing off everyone who is over 60, your are out of your friggin mind.
And just maybe back in the old days as you so put it, everyone cared about each other, i can see something happened to you, because you are selfish.

If your parents are still living, and they need a orgain trasplant in order to live, make sure to turn them down, because after all, you do not want your parents living past the age of 60's right?
If you do your a hypocrite.
Oh and you must be doing a lot of heroin.
The only people that are a burden to society, are lazy bums, that do not believe in working. And people who live off the system, guess what most of them are young.
Eh? The other posts of the OP that I read says he's a 22 year old living with his father in a house he's going to "own" some day.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 PM

313 posts, read 450,697 times
Hmmm. . . I'll be 60 next month, and am probably healthier than some of the younger ones on here who are ready to euthanize me. But since the current younger generation, as a hole, is having some. . uh. . motivational problems to work then me thinks that a big chunk of you won't have health insurance at all. That should be a bigger concern than whether or not I get a heart-bypass in the next 10 years.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:15 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
To the OP here...I got your message and thank you for clarifying that you were being rhetorical and reporting this hateful and wrong idea, only.

You are NOT in agreement with it and I applaud you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies