Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
First off, I salute you for willingly doing the tough yet vital job of motherhood. Awesome!
Cheap appeal to emotion. Next we'll be saluting people for willingly taking on the tough yet vital job of getting out of bed in the morning. Couldn't we reserve words like 'awesome' for things that actually are? She's got two years of parenthood under her belt. I've got thirty. Most everyone else has such a number as well. It ain't so extraordinary.

Quote:
Second, regarding high taxes, I'll try my best here to paraphase the great economist Walter E. Williams:
Walter Williams is an unexceptional economist and usually an idiot.

Quote:
"Let's talk about taking stuff that doesn't belong to you. When the government does it, it's called a tax. If you do it privately, it's called theft!"
Yeah, that's him alright. A better comparison to taxes would have been the necessity to pay for your groceries when you get to the checkout line. But I guess Walter was going for the cute factor on this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I'm still waiting for the proof that either feminism or the woman's liberation movement were responsible for:

1. The increase of divorce rates
2. The rise of incivility
3. The destruction of the family
4. The failing of the education and behavior of children
5. The increase of illegitimate births
6. The increase in violence against women
7. Global warming.

I mean, really...?

It's quite elementary, really. If you roughly double the number of people competing aggressively for money, status, and power in open society, and reduce the focus on family life and child rearing by biological mothers, you invite a proportionate increase in bad behavior among both the adult and juvenile populations.

But don't worry about Global Warming. We've got Al Gore working on that.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the proof that either feminism or the woman's liberation movement were responsible for:

7. Global warming.

I mean, really...?

America watched "All In The Family" for many years and never got the answer, either.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Asking that question is relevant because it goes to mind-set, especially when discussing the topic of male entitlement.

Also, I don't think that feminism has brought about a rise in violence towards women, but has increased awareness of the problem and has made it a crime instead of socially acceptable.

So, if the side effects of the feminist revolution are dangerous to all of us, what do you suggest as a remedy?
Get thee to a nunnery, of course!

But I digress.

Seriously -- I can only point out reasons why people should behave more intelligently and civilly. I cannot live their lives for them, nor do I feel qualified to instruct them in ways to be themselves.

You're a teacher. Isn't much of what you do opening up your students to their own power of thought?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
OK, I stayed home and raised my kids, while working a part-time job from home. Now they're gone, paying their own bills. Guess what? I am NOT gonna sit home all day, just waiting 'til DH gets home, planning a yummy meal and yearning to wash his socks and listen breathlessly to his account of his day.
I'm WORKING, outside the house, and either he can cook or we'll go out to dinner.
Get over it!!! LOL!!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
OK, I stayed home and raised my kids, while working a part-time job from home. Now they're gone, paying their own bills. Guess what? I am NOT gonna sit home all day, just waiting 'til DH gets home, planning a yummy meal and yearning to wash his socks and listen breathlessly to his account of his day.
I'm WORKING, outside the house, and either he can cook or we'll go out to dinner.
Get over it!!! LOL!!
Good for you.

You sound like my wife!

And I make a killer paella!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Get thee to a nunnery, of course!

But I digress.

Seriously -- I can only point out reasons why people should behave more intelligently and civilly. I cannot live their lives for them, nor do I feel qualified to instruct them in ways to be themselves.

You're a teacher. Isn't much of what you do opening up your students to their own power of thought?
Ha Ha Ha There isn't a nunnery around...

Of course people should act in a more intelligent and civil manner, but how does that relate to the feminist movement? And yes, as a teacher, although it may surprise you to know that I have chosen to skip the last two semesters of teaching to stay home with my kids, it is about opening up my students to their own power of thought. But, it's also about encouraging them to reach their full potential regardless of gender. They, both male and female, can be anything they want to be if they are willing to work towards that goal. Bottom line is that we should ALL have the option to reach our full potential as a human beings without gender being a factor.

Last edited by MooksterL1; 09-18-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Typo. Hard to type with a whining 2 year old hanging around your neck - must be my cue to put the laptop away.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:

7. Global warming.

I mean, really...?
Absolutely a good point--No sane person would see ANY correlation in the examples you cited. And when somebody DOES come up with the trumped-up "proof" for all these silly allegations, I'd just LOVE for them to ALSO show me the proof that--

8. Virtually all Islamic violence and misogyny is caused by their frustration at "western" interference. Left to itself, Islam is a religion of peace, honoring women, and welcoming all creeds into its friendship.

9. No one really understands the cause of AIDS and STD's. Some people, it seems, just have bad luck.

10. White racism, without a doubt, is the direct cause of the astronomical out-of-wedlock birth rates, and the huge crime problem in the "inner city"..

11. Children usually don't bond any better with their mother than they do with hired day-care staff...

12. When the "cops" are called out to a drunken free-for-all at a "biker bar", it doesn't matter whether the responding officers are 225 lb. men, or 100 lb. women. They are all police officers, and the bikers will respect and obey them...

13. Educational TV and movies are a powerful tool in educating children and developing young minds---but "gangsta-rap" songs featuring violent and misogynistic themes have no effect whatsoever on their audience.

14. Western, christian-based liberal democratic culture is OK---but it's really no better than any other society or culture. All societies take care of their minorites and "fringe" groups....

15. No nation has the right to call itself "better" than any other. Every country has its good features, and its not-so-good features, and refugees travel equally to ALL countries for a new life. In fact, there's really no good reason for "refugees", in the first place.

16. Immigrants leave wonderful, democratic homelands, where they have a good life. They then travel to racist, xenophobic countries where they are marginalized and abused. Sometimes they become angry that their families and relatives can't join them, so they, too, can be abused....

!7. Muslims are patient people, but sometimes they get so upset at the image westerners have of them as "violent", that they blow up something, or kill a few infidels, to prove their peaceful intentions...

I'd just LOVE to see the proof for this stuff !!! Good post, Anchorless !....

Old 09-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Ha Ha Ha There isn't a nunnery around...

Of course people should act in a more intelligent and civil manner, but how does that relate to the feminist movement? And yes, as a teacher, although it may surprise you to know that I have chosen to skip the last two semesters of teaching to stay home with my kids, it is about opening up my students to their own power of thought. But, it's also about encouraging them to reach their full potential regardless of gender. They, both male and female, can be anything they want to be if they are willing to work towards that goal. Bottom line is that we should ALL have the option to reach our full potential as a human beings without gender being a factor.
We are th-i-i-i-s close to agreement.

Now just admit that

1. the negativity and male-hating of the gender feminists poisoned the atmosphere for the past few decades

2. affirmative action for the majority (women) and Title IX (penalizing men for their gender) belong in the dust bin of history

and we can call it good.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Close. More a case of I am just as good as you, therefore you cannot take away my rights just because of who I am. Every one of these movements sought to end discriminatory practices. You may not take away my right to vote merely because I am black. You may not refuse to hire or promote me simply because I am a woman. You may not fire me merely because I am gay.
All true, for sure--but you didn't go far enough.---- "You may not deny me my rights because I'm not a citizen. You may not judge me in any way because of my personal behavior. You may not advocate any standards in society, or use the terms "good" or "evil", "better" or "worse"....you may not differentiate in the "worthiness" of any lifestyle against any other. If it's legal, it's OK....period. Nor may you require anything of me in order that I might enjoy the advantages of living in this nation. It belongs to everyone, not to you. And we are all immigrants, every last one of us, so, in many ways, this isn't really a "nation" at all, in the sense that "real" countries are--(like France, Mexico, Sweden, or Algeria).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies