Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,878,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's simple, corporations have to obey the law, a corrupt government doesn't.
Government is more and more, not the law!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,982 times
A govt. has the power to in-prison you, take away your livelihood, etc. They are the US largest monopoly, and all monopolies only seek to grow power and limit service. Democracy is an illusion. The only true democracy is voting with your pocket book (and influencing corporations)

I will always fear the govt before any corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,745,181 times
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

That is the most odd depiction of our intended government that I have ever heard of in my life. Is that what they teach in schools?

A moral government is one which serves as a retaliatory force in an effort to protect individual freedom from initiations of force. Our government is not supposed to "fix societal problems" or "guide society". It is simply supposed to protect freedom from initiations of force so that everyone can be as free as is morally possible.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,637,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
A govt. has the power to in-prison you, take away your livelihood, etc. They are the US largest monopoly, and all monopolies only seek to grow power and limit service. Democracy is an illusion. The only true democracy is voting with your pocket book (and influencing corporations)

I will always fear the govt before any corporation
Corporations can take away the employee's livelihood for any reason or no reason at the drop of a hat. Boom, you are fired and out on the street, no more income, now what do you do? You desperately need that reference too if you ever want to work again and reinstate your income stream.

There is no “due process†in the corporate world. You live and operate under their rules and dictatorship or else. You have to put up with that supervisor who makes your and others lives hell every moment of every day. After all, that’s part for what you are getting paid for. The corporation decides that you cannot smoke and by God you better not fail that random nicotine test. You file a complaint with HR against that supervisor who is unfairly picking on people HR is going to side with the supervisor and give them the benefit of the doubt, not you, the disgruntled suddenly under performing employee despite excellent reviews and unfailingly excellent customer feedback. Forget due process or any semblance of a fair trial, from there on in your life at work will be hell for filing an honest justified complaint that should be dealt with and not looked the other way. Really, even though the option is there does anybody ever dare file a complaint against anybody in management?

With government you will get due process and at least a public trial as the government is of the and for the people. At least that’s what it is supposed to be.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:00 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's been a question that's stumped me for years.

Folks seemingly have no issue with the corporatocracy running the damn country. I don't get it.
Then I'll solve it for you. We have no issue with the corporatocracy running the country because there is no corporatocracy running the country. Now you aren't stumped anymore. You're welcome.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:12 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,358,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Corporations can take away the employee's livelihood for any reason or no reason at the drop of a hat. Boom, you are fired and out on the street, no more income, now what do you do? You desperately need that reference too if you ever want to work again and reinstate your income stream.

There is no “due process†in the corporate world. You live and operate under their rules and dictatorship or else. You have to put up with that supervisor who makes your and others lives hell every moment of every day. After all, that’s part for what you are getting paid for. The corporation decides that you cannot smoke and by God you better not fail that random nicotine test. You file a complaint with HR against that supervisor who is unfairly picking on people HR is going to side with the supervisor and give them the benefit of the doubt, not you, the disgruntled suddenly under performing employee despite excellent reviews and unfailingly excellent customer feedback. Forget due process or any semblance of a fair trial, from there on in your life at work will be hell for filing an honest justified complaint that should be dealt with and not looked the other way. Really, even though the option is there does anybody ever dare file a complaint against anybody in management?

With government you will get due process and at least a public trial as the government is of the and for the people. At least that’s what it is supposed to be.
Not saying those things aren't true or that they don't make your life difficult, but there is a key difference. You choose to apply for that job, whereas you're simply born into government.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 AM

524 posts, read 400,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then I'll solve it for you. We have no issue with the corporatocracy running the country because there is no corporatocracy running the country. Now you aren't stumped anymore. You're welcome.
Most people aren't ready to let go of their perceived beliefs about the world and their place in it.

Corporatism exists. It has always existed, and at least for the most part in the U.S.A. Presidents warned us about it, they wrote about it, they spoke about it. It is very real and it is a phenomenon that is worldwide.

There is no blue or red, only green my friend.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,982 times
You are allowed to quit at any point. Don't like the rules, the hours?! Quit

A EMPLOYER can't take your livelihood, because you can always find another job if you have ability, capability, etc.

A Employer can't imprison you, can't take away your freedom

A employer will fire you for smoking the wrong thing

A govt will imprison you

big difference

Google can have my data, but f' the NSA

-- i find your rant about HR naive. I mean seriously when the Govt picks on you your supervisor is a dick, hr sides with him/her and at worst your fire

- when the Feds decide to pick on you. . .they seize your cash on the highway, and say "suspect of narco" and then walk away. or they burst into your home without introduction and you go to the electric chair because you didn't know the guys breaking in your windows were good guys

yeah. . .the expanding power of Facebook is what keeps me up at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post

[snip] ranting about some experience with HR [/snip]

Old 09-19-2014, 09:11 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,922 times
If there was no government, the corporations would become the government because they're the only other gate keepers to our infrastructure. For all its flaws I'd much rather have a democratic government call the shots than some corporate-fascist conglomeration of the military and tech, energy and telecommunications companies dictate to me how to live.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

A Employer can't imprison you, can't take away your freedom
Tell that to the people in China who jump out of windows to escape their workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies