Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,365,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
If there was no government, the corporations would become the government because they're the only other gate keepers to our infrastructure. For all its flaws I'd much rather have a democratic government than some corporate-fascist conglomeration of the military and tech, energy and telecommunications companies dictate to me how to live.
It isnt government unless they are using force to coerce you into obeying the "law". Also, the reason the major corporations have so much control now is because they use the government as a tool to help beat down competition. Im not saying everything would be perfect and everyone would be happy without government, but corporations wouldnt replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,858,420 times
Because it's human nature to need someone to boss us around.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Tell that to the people in China who jump out of windows to escape their workplace.
I dont know the exact situation there, but I assume they voluntarily entered a contract with their employer. Obviously that was a mistake if they arent allowed to escape. It could also be government butting in and forcing workers to stay against their will. Like I said, Im not completely sure but if they truly are stuck there its for those reasons.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,975,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I dont know the exact situation there, but I assume they voluntarily entered a contract with their employer. Obviously that was a mistake if they arent allowed to escape. It could also be government butting in and forcing workers to stay against their will. Like I said, Im not completely sure but if they truly are stuck there its for those reasons.
It was not entirely of their own will when their land is taken and houses bull dozed to make way for Big Business with the Communist Governments blessing.

Look up how much land is taken from Chinese Farmers and Villages where they are then forced to relocate to the cities in order to survive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/wo...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
BEIJING — China is pushing ahead with a sweeping plan to move 250 million rural residents into newly constructed towns and cities over the next dozen years — a transformative event that could set off a new wave of growth or saddle the country with problems for generations to come.

The government, often by fiat, is replacing small rural homes with high-rises, paving over vast swaths of farmland and drastically altering the lives of rural dwellers. So large is the scale that the number of brand-new Chinese city dwellers will approach the total urban population of the United States — in a country already bursting with megacities.

This will decisively change the character of China, where the Communist Party insisted for decades that most peasants, even those working in cities, remain tied to their tiny plots of land to ensure political and economic stability. Now, the party has shifted priorities, mainly to find a new source of growth for a slowing economy that depends increasingly on a consuming class of city dwellers.

The shift is occurring so quickly, and the potential costs are so high, that some fear rural China is once again the site of radical social engineering. Over the past decades, the Communist Party has flip-flopped on peasants’ rights to use land: giving small plots to farm during 1950s land reform, collectivizing a few years later, restoring rights at the start of the reform era and now trying to obliterate small landholders.

Across China, bulldozers are leveling villages that date to long-ago dynasties. Towers now sprout skyward from dusty plains and verdant hillsides. New urban schools and hospitals offer modern services, but often at the expense of the torn-down temples and open-air theaters of the countryside.

“It’s a new world for us in the city,†said Tian Wei, 43, a former wheat farmer in the northern province of Hebei, who now works as a night watchman at a factory. “All my life I’ve worked with my hands in the fields; do I have the educational level to keep up with the city people?â€

Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,527,517 times
Politicians should have to wear the logos of their corporate overlords, err, sponsors - like NASCAR drivers.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,120,949 times
I guess the OP has a skewered outlook on corporations just like so many other people do. In our society the government needs money from the people to operate, because they produce no product or don't make any money. Corporations on the other hand are owned by people who do make a product or who do make money and employ people to work at various jobs. Without small businesses and corporations, there are no jobs that actually produce a product that can be sold for money. When these corporations or small businesses move out of the United states because of the government regulations that are forced on them (including minimum wage issues), the jobs leave with them. What do you think is going to happen when all the product producing jobs are gone and the only jobs left are jobs working for the government? Who will pay the government the money they need to operate? Operating the government is a cost to the people who are governed, but today they have no control over what that government does. People who work for the government like to think their job is important, but we would be better off if they worked for someone who actually made a profit instead of working for someone who was a cost to the rest of us.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
It was not entirely of their own will when their land is taken and houses bull dozed to make way for Big Business with the Communist Governments blessing.

Look up how much land is taken from Chinese Farmers and Villages where they are then forced to relocate to the cities in order to survive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/wo...anted=all&_r=0
Im not surprised. Its always sad to see those things happen, but especially sad to me as an anarchist. People are always trying to defend their government...saying its doing these things to benefit the people...right. Everyone wants government to control their neighbors until that control is used on them.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,642,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You are allowed to quit at any point. Don't like the rules, the hours?! Quit
Good luck on that job reference.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,300,806 times
Government and corporations are the same in 21st century America. There was a name for this government and corporate handholding in the 1940s. Today we just call it capitalism.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,751,153 times
Corporations cannot force you to buy their "products" and "services" at gunpoint The only "products" and "services" that government creates are coercion, extortion, and bondage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies