Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This I'll say: the Black posters here are all over the map about victorianpunk's feelings about his family but almost all the white posters here back him up.
And your conclusion on why that is? Let's be honest. You're the one that put that out there.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The white posters have an ulterior motive. If you think for a minute that white people give a damn about black racial identity, you're fooling yourself. As a practical matter, white folks don't even give it a thought. If the OP were to commit a crime, these same white posters would paint him as black as a tire if it came down to it....just like they did O.J.

For purposes of this thread, backing the OP is a chance for the white posters (who happen to be nearly ALL conservatives) to do what they see as poking black folks in the eye. Telling the OP that he doesn't have to be solely black dilutes whatever smidgen of black political power or unity that they THINK exists. Now they aren't poking me, because i don't give a damn about the issue for the most part. People can be whatever they want to be as far as i'm concerned. That's why i opened with my comments about my feelings that the OP was just seeking attention.

As far as i'm concerned, whites don't even get a say so in these matters where it involves black people. As i've pointed out, they've already screwed up the whole racial dynamic and are completely responsible for things being what they are already relative to race and racial identification and classification.

Besides, even if i was looking for backup by whitefolks to bolster my argument and my own idea of self identification, i'd still have to turn off my computer eventually and deal with black people on my own terms if i'm the OP....and white folks are powerless to help him in that situation. Completely powerless. So all that backup is a waste of time anyway.
Yep. I can't believe how blind someone could be when it comes to why those who are White would support someone like the OP. I'm not saying that those in this thread that are White are guilty of simply being White and OK about it, but it happens. Anytime people can break the pride of Black people it is good for those who want us to have no motivation or unity as a people.

The OP said White people are "Meh" on this subject. Well, hell, why wouldn't they be? They aren't Black, they have no ties to what it feels like to be Black American, so of course the feelings between Blacks and Whites will be different on this.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You are right. People in other countries and from other places see things differently. That's probably why the people who are always okay with me being black and Italian and saying as such are Italians from Italy.

And yes, America is changing, and plenty of both blacks and whites have an issue with that. Already mixed people are finding that we have so much in common with each other and are kind of doing our own thing. Plus, there are MORE AND MORE OF US BORN EVERY YEAR.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25race.html

As us mixed race people come together more and more and identify with our heritage as well as *gasp!* each other, so many people are going to have to come to terms with this new class of people, and aren't going to like it...and A LOT of them are going to be black.
It's kind of like a kid getting kicked off the team and being told to "start his own team," and then he does and they're pretty good and the team that kicks him out gets jealous. Blacks don't want us, whites don't want us, and we end up with each other and they ALL GET ANGRY

But, the racist whites and blacks will have to deal with it. A proud mixed man said this in a movie...and I think it ironically sums up perfectly what mixed race people will end up saying to "the pure" who don't like them.

Matrix the movie - end monologue scene - YouTube
You are coming off as a really sad individual.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Well I hope you see that what I was trying to do was get you to acknowledge a mistake you made which you have finally done. Tis all......
What a waste of time, it should've been pretty obvious that I already realized what you were talking about. Only a stupid person would see here in the open and denying accidentally typing something. That person is not me.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I read some of your posts,and you soud racist towards blacks too,esp black women.
Some of you telling the OP about his blackness are married to white women.
Oh,the irony.
I think that is common though. One thing I see are Black male celebrities or athletes who want to be Pro-Black whenever they feel like it, but they are married to non-Black women. It's not to say that you can't be both for the unity of Black people and be married/dating someone who isn't Black, but they will be the first one's marching with Sharpton. I am not saying that I agree with you about the guys in this thread, but I do see what you are talking in general society.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I think that is common though. One thing I see are Black male celebrities or athletes who want to be Pro-Black whenever they feel like it, but they are married to non-Black women. I am not saying that I agree with you about the guys in this thread, but I do see what you are talking in general society.

You can be Pro-black and still marry someone of a different color. Being Pro-Black doesn't mean you cut connections with others races. It's mean you are proud of what YOU are and your people. It has nothing to do with who you marry and end up with.

Some of the people on this thread don't get it.

"It's not to say that you can't be both for the unity of Black people and be married/dating someone who isn't Black"

People need to read your post and think about that.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Actually, back in New Jersey I dated a girl for a few times who was blue eyed, dark haired and the whitest of white. She said to her parents that I "wasn't really black" on the phone...I still don't know what to think about that. I met her mother at dinner and her mother said some things that were a bit unsettling, like "you speak so well" and at the end she said "you must take after your mother..."

I was PISSED off...one of the reasons I was never really her daughter's boyfriend.
Well, considering that you created a thread about "no longer being Black", I would've thought that you would have eaten that comment up with a spoon.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why are you so threatened by this young man's decision that you would call him a punk?

Don't you realize you are conforming to his stereotypes of Black people? Loud uncouth and prone to anger?
LOL I think that common sense protects Black people from those stereotypes. People with common sense and who aren't ignorant know that Black people aren't the ONLY ONES that get upset. Anyone who worries about people labeling us that way shouldn't really matter.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Hey OP, I just wanted to inform you that you are black. But I have to agree with you that being multiracial is pretty neat and some of our people despise us. I am light skinned similar to you and I was raised around my people and I get prejudged by our people all the time, they make statements like: "you think you are white", "you think you are better than me because you are light skinned" or my favorite "You are not really black", but I know that I am black. I "TRY" to deal with the comment but sometime our people can say crazy S***. I think we have a problem in the black community when it comes to "shade of color". I love my "bright beautiful skin" and I that is the beauty of being black, that we come in all shades of color.

Also man, if you can embrace your Italian roots you can do the same with you AA roots, to me that the best thing about being biracial.
I know a lot of light-skin Black people or mixed Black people and I don't remember them being singled out like you described. The only people that seem to receive this treatment are the ones that bring that stuff on themselves by either 1) overthinking things like the OP or 2) actually carrying themselves as if to convey that they think they are better than other Blacks.

That's just my opinion. I grew up in different walks of life and in the Black neighborhoods, no one automatically went after the light-skin people. Usually the kid had an attitude problem to begin with. Or was snobbish BECAUSE they were light-skin and DID think they were better.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:

And at the same time, what if all discrimination against blacks vanished tomorrow? Could they keep black culture without it? Nigerian culture is based on their traditions and history as a people, Chinese culture is based on their traditions and history as a people, but black culture? It's based on their traditions created to survive oppression and their segregation. Well, that segregation and oppression is over now...so now what?

I think in the back of so many black American's minds is the FEAR that racism will end, and with it any special situation they may be in and a part of their culture.

Black culture is, for better or worse, a culture born of a siege mentality...so what happens when the siege is over?
Alright, how about this: how about YOU stop trying to talk about Black people and Black culture as if you know it or have any say in it. Because you know what? You decided you were not Black anymore, so who are you to decide what is going on in the minds of "the Blacks" (as you describe). Don't you realize how silly you sound? You sound just like all other seperatists when you say, "the Blacks."

Second of all ... what a dumb question you ask. If discrimination ceased to exist against Black people we would love that! And the last thing on our mind would be thinking about whether "Black culture could last." In fact, Black culture would be stronger.

You disgust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies