Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
No, "Red" Kool-Aid is a common joke as it refers to Tropical Punch or Cherry Kool-Aid.
I know I was also joking by adding my own twist on the stereotype with my own personal favorite flavor.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Identity is very personal and cultural influences can be very complex. I admire you for "Thinking Through Culture" (there's a book by that name). Most people of any "color" are too lazy to think things through the way you have.

I would be pissed too if someone was trying to define MY culture for me based on THEIR skewed ideas.

Here's another book title that I think applies:"What You Think of Me Is None of My Business" - just make up your mind how you prefer to think of yourself and END OF STORY - you are the judge and jury of your "case."

Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I know I was also joking by adding my own twist on the stereotype with my own personal favorite flavor.
Oh, cool. Black Cherry was one of the original Kool-Aid flavors, heh. Some Kool-Aid trivia. haha.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Your percentages might be off though, because don't Sicilians have a portion of Black blood? Not that it matters, but you might want to recalculate just for accuracy or get your DNA done just out of curiosity.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Your percentages might be off though, because don't Sicilians have a portion of Black blood? Not that it matters, but you might want to recalculate just for accuracy or get your DNA done just out of curiosity.
Oh, you don't want to bring that topic up! LOL

Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
I think that you and the OP are still missing the point. For the most part, Black people don't really care if somebody identifies them selves as biracial. I mean the biggest hip hop act right now is a Black Jewish Canadian guy. My problem with the OP is that he brings up Black stereotypes to back up his claims and that leads me to think that he has a problem with his Blackness. And maybe that's the reason he's going so hard on being called Italian in addition to Black.

I could be wrong, though.
None of what you said is either true or relevent to the point that I mentioned earlier. I could easily say that most black people do care whether or not someone chooses to soley identify as black which is the point of what the OP discussed earlier. Heck, most blacks would pee their pants if Obama ever woke up and considered himself "white." I'll even go so far to say that if Barack ever did that--you would even have some blacks who would wish for him to experience hardcore racism to force him to fall back in line with whatever their defnition being "black" is. That' how sick and twisted some folks are.

Also Drake (I'm assuming that is who you are referring to), is a top Hip Hop act--true, however the reason he is one of the biggest hip hop acts out there is because of his mainstream appeal that is primarily supported by whites. After all, whites are the primary consumers of all hip hop music. His success has nothing to do with the alleged black tolerence of biracials in black oriented music.

I personally believe that you, and many others are just hearing what you want to hear to mask the idea that you are threatened by the very notion that he doesn't fall in line and consider himself completely black.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Identity is very personal and cultural influences can be very complex. I admire you for "Thinking Through Culture" (there's a book by that name). Most people of any "color" are too lazy to think things through the way you have.

I would be pissed too if someone was trying to define MY culture for me based on THEIR skewed ideas.

Here's another book title that I think applies:"What You Think of Me Is None of My Business" - just make up your mind how you prefer to think of yourself and END OF STORY - you are the judge and jury of your "case."
It's very dangerous to make a statement that "most people of color" do anything. Unless you are extremely popular and know most people of color or you're psychic, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you aren't qualified to make this type of statement.

The only person color-struck in this thread is the OP.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
None of what you said is either true or relevent to the point that I mentioned earlier. I could easily say that most black people do care whether or not someone chooses to soley identify as black which is the point of what the OP discussed earlier. Heck, most blacks would pee their pants if Obama ever woke up and considered himself "white." I'll even go so far to say that if Barack ever did that--you would even have some blacks who would wish for him to experience hardcore racism to force him to fall back in line with whatever their defnition being "black" is. That' how sick and twisted some folks are.

Also Drake (I'm assuming that is who you are referring to), is a top Hip Hop act--true, however the reason he is one of the biggest hip hop acts out there is because of his mainstream appeal that is primarily supported by whites. After all, whites are the primary consumers of all hip hop music. His success has nothing to do with the alleged black tolerence of biracials in black oriented music.

I personally believe that you, and many others are just hearing what you want to hear to mask the idea that you are threatened by the very notion that he doesn't fall in line and consider himself completely black.
Drake's success is due to his appeal with whites?....because he's biracial?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Drake's success is due to his appeal with whites?....because he's biracial?
Yes and 1+1 = 3

He is successful because white people are the main ones supporting his music. What he chooses to racially identify as is insignificant, because whether black people like it or not--the folks buttering his bread aren't black.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's very dangerous to make a statement that "most people of color" do anything. Unless you are extremely popular and know most people of color or you're psychic, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you aren't qualified to make this type of statement.

The only person color-struck in this thread is the OP.
"Most people of any color" can be shortened to "most people"- it's a generalization - to make a point. You said it is "very dangerous" to make such statements - what's the danger factor? Such drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies