Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And responsible reproductive habits means that Americans must give up their nation to a group of people who lack that?

Yes it's like that book the Population Bomb predicted -- third world nations with extreme birth rates would take over nations where people were limiting family size to what they could afford.
Cry me a river. The reality is some middle class and upper middle class people can clearly afford more children they have simply made a lifestyle decision not to have more, which is certainly their prerogative.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Really???

My paternal grandparents immigrated from Italy. They were farmers from a tiny village in the hills in Marche. Neither spoke English. When they came here, no one accomodated them. They didn't expect people to cater to them in Italian. They were poor and uneducated. My grandmother never did learn English, and my grandfather, although he learned English, was illiterate (in both languages!) But they raised 12 children to speak English and be American. I am only 2 generations away from a poor illiterate grape farmer and I am educated with a degree in Economics. MY FAMILY ASSIMILATED.
Well good for you.
Quote:
That doesn't mean you have to be ashamed of your heritage, or to deny it. It doesn't mean you give up every custom or tradition. It means you willingly join the rest of American society and participate in it. It means you don't cut yourself off from everyone else by staying in your own linguistic ghetto. It means you share in our common values and traditions. It means you eat turkey on Thanksgiving. It means when the United States is playing your home country or the country of your ancestors in sports, you don't boo and jeer the American team.
The last time I checked in this country you still have the right to speak any language you please, live anywhere you want provided you can afford the housing.

What are the common values of America besides life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

And why should YOU really give a damn which sports team a another person that you don't know roots or what they are having for Thanksgiving in their house or if they are even celebrating the holiday?

Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes, you do.

The only way you get to whites being a "minority" in 2050 is by assuming that anyone who can be labelled a "Hispanic" is "non white."
O.K. non-Hispanic Whites will no longer be the majority. Now, feel better?

A substantial number of Hispanics do not identify with non-Hispanic White culture, even if they chose to identify themselves as White for reasons of social privilege. If they did we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Because they don't identify with non-Hispanic White culture the decline of non-Hispanic White people as a percentage of the overall population is a challenge to their social, economic and political dominance. That's why you are and will see increasing racial and cultural tension, and social unrest in this country for the next several decades.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Really? "White Anglo Saxon Protestants?" This isn't 1850 anymore. Unless we're talking about social society (AKA, the uber rich), whether you are WASP, Catholic, Italian, British, German, Russian... means absolutely nothing to the overwhelming majority of white people. Overwhelming.
Don't tell me, tell the folks on Stromfront, the Arayan Brotherhood, the KKK etc. The reality is there are a substantial number of White people who will not marry a Hispanic person even if that person classifies themselves as White.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

The last time I checked in this country you still have the right to speak any language you please, live anywhere you want provided you can afford the housing.

What are the common values of America besides life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

And why should YOU really give a damn which sports team a another person that you don't know roots or what they are having for Thanksgiving in their house or if they are even celebrating the holiday?
Of course you have the right to speak any language you choose and live anywhere you want and can afford. What I am saying is that if you insist on using a language other than English as your primary language, and you resist learning English, than you are thereby seperating your self from mainstream American society. You are self-segregating. You are choosing to not participate fully in our country. You are choosing to identify as something other than American. When you do that, you can't complain when other people consider you to be different.

And yes, I do care when people who live in this country boo and jeer an American team!!!!!!!!!! This happened not too long ago in LA when the U.S. was playing a Mexican team. It's one thing to root for your native country's team, a team you grew up with. But you should be respectful of the American team. But to actively boo and jeer the American team, ON AMERICAN SOIL, damn straight that makes me mad and I'll make it my business. BTW, there were plenty of latinos who were bothered by this incident as well.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
"Not putting them on par with other white children" is something being done by racist whites, who yearn for Aryan pureness, and racist minorities, who believe that there's some benefit in considering as many people as possible "not white."

That sort of thing happens more with black/white couplings than white/"Latino" children, and often never happens -- or nobody even knows -- when it's American white/"white Latino" coupling.
The problem with your premise is the majority of Hispanics in this country are of some sort of mixed racial ancestry. You seem to think that there are enough "White" Hispanics that will marry non-Hispanic Whites and are willing to turn their back on their own culture for the perceived benefits of being a part non-Hispanic White culture. But there far more mixed raced Hispanics however they classify themselves on a Census form.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Look dude, either you want assimilation and acceptance into greater society no matter what your race, or you don't.

But don't talk out both sides of your mouth, b*tching on one hand that you're viewed as different and face hostility by whites, and then resist people telling you the fastest way to avoid hostility and maltreatment is to pretty much adopt that "mainstream America" culture. Which, like it or not, DOES include black people, because it was shaped with contributions from black people. Just because it's foundation rests on Anglo Saxon, protestatant tradition doesn't mean jack. The majority of whites aren't Anglo Saxon at all, yet we've managed to recognize that it was and is a pretty good system, and a way to get power and advance ourselves.
Again based on the history of the United States of America a substantial number non-Hispanic White Americans will not accept a non-White American as a social equal. I have only to look at the treatment of the President of the United States by a substantial number of non-Hispanic White Americans.

It's been pretty good lesson for many non-White Americans no matter how educated, intelligent or successful you are you will face limited at best social acceptance from many non-Hispanic White Americans.

Personally the only thing I really want is rights granted to me as a American citizen under the United States Constitution and the laws of the land.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Who is more mainstream American, a Hispanic like Jessica Alba or a White supremacist like David Duke
Mainstream doesn't make it good, or right.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
I agree but they aren't the only ones, I don't see Muslims trying either.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
(Back in the day blacks were excluded from school. Today, white people in charge want nothing more than for black kids to go to school, get educated and make something of themselves.
That's another lie but it works if you live "In Your Own Private Idaho".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies