Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It really is a slippery slope when people start blaming the victim. So one has to ask....

For those of you who are blaming the deceased victim Trayvon Martin, do you also blame the following other victims for their deaths?

Nicole Brown Simpson
Caylee Anthony
Natalee Holloway
etc., etc.
Sharon Tate had a number of drugs found in her system, including cocaine, mescaline, and various uppers and downers - and she was pregnant to top it off. That's much more social irresponsibility than Trayvon Martin showed. I wonder if the people who blame Trayvon think that Sharon Tate was to blame for her murder. I would assume they wouldn't merely because Sharon was a hot white woman like Nicole and Natalee....

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So if Martin knew someone was following him why not run away? Even if Zimmerman confronted Martin it doesn't really matter. All that matters is who made it violent, which we will never know. But Zimmerman starting the fight makes no sense. A person with a gun generally doesn't start a physical altercation with a larger, younger person.
You are making a lot of assumptions. It is possible none of them are accurate. Most crimes don't make sense. That is no standard.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
So if Martin knew someone was following him why not run away? Even if Zimmerman confronted Martin it doesn't really matter. All that matters is who made it violent, which we will never know. But Zimmerman starting the fight makes no sense. A person with a gun generally doesn't start a physical altercation with a larger, younger person.
Actually, GZ disobeying the police dispatcher is the biggest indicator of his mental state. He has already shown a disrespect for the police with his assaulting a police officer arrest.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Lemme get this straight.
You would want your son to confront and punch a stranger that was following him?
I sincerely hope he doesn't meet Trayvon's fate.
I would hope my son would get his ass to safety, ASAP.
Well, you're twisting things a bit. If we're dealing with what makes sense, it's more likely that Zimmerman confronted Trayvon (even if to say "what are you doing here").

So, yes, if my son is walking in a strange neighborhood and it's dark and he notices a man FOLLOWING him and then when this man catches up to him, does not identify himself as someone in a position of authority, he'd better fight like hell to get away!!

Of course, the first option is to run, but let's be honest. What almost-grown (or grown) man will run from another guy? It's not gonna happen.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Stand Your Ground applies to DEADLY FORCE...

Not "If you perceive some creep go ahead and sucker punch him after words are exchanged"......

The reason I still believe Trayvon made a dire mistake is because the transcript from his girlfriend when they were on the phone...

His girlfriend said "Baby just come back home"....

????

What was the alternative??? If I was to guess what was said on the phone call... I can totally see him on machismo mode like "Nah baby....I'm gonna chip this dudes jaw up"

"Nah, imma knock him out...watch..."

We live in a generation where the youth show out more than ever.....Kids do the dumbest s*** ever to get seen on YouTube or WorldStarHipHop.com.

It's VERY veryyyy possible that Martin made the worst decision of his short life. Why do people still clutch the "pursuit" loophole? Zimmerman was within his rights as long as he didn't initiate aggression.

It's a bitter pill to swallow...but this is pretty cut and dry provided this is how it played out.

Are you aware that Martin lived primarily with his mother in Miami, and that is where his girlfriend called him from? That puts an entirely different light on her words. What is certain is that Zimmerman made the worst mistake of his life in not waiting in his truck for LE. Other than Zimmerman's relation of the night's activity, there is no proof that he did not put his hand on Martin to detain him. It's stunning that so many people are invested in believing Zimmerman's account, when he's a perfect stranger with every reason to lie. At least the M.E.s report clarified two things: That Martin was not a "6'3" hulking thug" but rather a 5'11" teen who weighed 158 pounds, and that his teeth were "natural..." The photo of the youngster with a gold grill isn't Trayvon Martin.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Actually, GZ disobeying the police dispatcher is the biggest indicator of his mental state. He has already shown a disrespect for the police with his assaulting a police officer arrest.
Technically, he did't even disobey the dispatcher, she just told him that they didn't need him to follow Martin, and he said "okay".

Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are making a lot of assumptions. It is possible none of them are accurate. Most crimes don't make sense. That is no standard.
It's true that some crimes don't make a lot of sense, but I don't think that means you throw logic out the window when trying your best to figure out what really happened.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
This is all speculation, but even if you speculate on what happened the Martin story still doesn't make sense. We know that Martin thought someone was following him. We can also assume he could have easily outrun Zimmerman. So that means he confronted Zimmerman. We don't know what happened after that. You can't just physically attack someone if you think they are following you. Even if Martin attacked Zimmerman because Zimmerman was following him it's still self-defense for Zimmerman.
So because Trayvon didn't run, you conclude he confronted Zimmerman?

Let's poll the guys on this forum: If a strange guy is following you at night, would you run away? Almost all of the men that I know WOULD NOT run from some guy following them at night. The most many will do is try to lose him (Martin's GF did say that Trayvon said he would walk fast, so maybe he tried this option).

There is no *think* someone is following you. Zimmerman was following Trayvon. I would be seriously creeped out and prepared to defend myself if I were followed and then somehow the creeper caught up with me. Again, are we now telling folks to lay down and take it?

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Technically, he did't even disobey the dispatcher, she just told him that they didn't need him to follow Martin, and he said "okay".
That was disobeying the dispatcher.

The Sanford Police also stated in their report that the incident could have been avoided had Zimmerman done what he was told to do which was stay in the vehicle and wait for law enforcement to arrive on the scene to handle the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
What did Trayvin Martin do that justified his murder?

Sucker punched a guy then sat astride same guy beating him to a bloody pulp. How far would it have gone if Zimmerman didn't defend himself?

He was minding his own business and was stalked, then approached by a strange man with a gun.

There are NO reports that say the gun was visible at the time. He wasn't stalked. He was on his way back to his car when attacked by martin.

So was he supposed to just stand there and let GZ cause him bodily harm?
Zimmerman probably asked him what he was doing (I know, a HEINOUS crime in and of itself), Martin copped an attitude and punched him.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies