Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Did they step on your back to get where they are?

Didn't most of them work hard to achieve their success?

Why do you despise them so?

Did your mommy tell you that you are special, and only later did you find out you are only special to her?
Get real. Whether they stepped on anyone's back or not (there's rather a fair amt. of documentation supporting the fact that the Rockefellers and the Mellons did, back in their day) is irrelevant. They owe the nation their fare share of taxes, just like any citizen. Who despises them? We have an economy to rescue, and people with 6 or 7-digit salaries paying less in taxes than their own secretarial staff really isn't going to achieve that goal. The upper-middle class and wealthy before Reagan paid 60-80% of their income in taxes. Why would they want to let the current generation of high earners skate? It's unpatriotic to not contribute your share. It's destroying the country. Wake up call!

A Must-Read: Lee Iacocca's "Where Have All The Leaders Gone"? He addressed the economy and the need for people like him to pay their share. It's a very engaging read, he's funny, but to the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The "upper middle class" only get slammed if ALL of their income comes from salary and wages. Smart people find ways to limit their tax burden by investing.
Even if I invest my money - which I do, particularly for retirement - I can't fundamentally change my income stream into dividends and capital gains at this point in my life. My training is for a salaried job, and that's how I make ends meet. I'm not a hedge fund manager, and I don't get carried interest tax benefits. And even though I save well, I can't save such a large amount of cash in the near term that I could invest it relatively safely and live off of the interest. People in my shoes typically get some tax breaks through home ownership and kids, but neither apply to me. Other than that, my only real solution is to become one of the top rich folks, which is obviously not a feasible prospect en masse. So I do and will continue to pay much higher tax rates than the wealthiest, and there is no real way to be "smart" about avoiding it - at least not legally.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'm good for now, but thanks. We're due for an ugly bout of rain over the next few days in these parts.

Is now, Hate it when my competition works for free.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 AM

817 posts, read 853,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
History of the labor market (China - TriasWiki)
2005 - 2010 According to China’s official statistics, the poverty rate fell from 53% in 1981 to 2.5% in 2005.[1] China is now a significant member in the world economy, and its role in world trade has steadily grown. International trade was a major driving force for economic growth. From 1990 – 2004 China’s economy grew at an average rate of 10% per year – the highest growth rate in the world. mid 2010 China had become the second largest economy in the world. Some economist predict that by 2020 China could have the largest economy in the world, bypassing the now, number one.

This is what Wealthy American Businesses has done for the Communist. Made them so much more stronger while we have become weak . The Wealthy have become richer, the Communist have become more powerful. Do they owe us at least what they have done for poor Communist farmers?
Don't blame business. Blame our government.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,216,280 times
Quote:
Why do you believe wealthy successful people owe you anything?
Why do wealthy, successful people believe we owe them anything (particularly our money)?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Paula owes me $20.00 but other than that no one owes me anything. If I didn't work to acquire what I need or want I don't need it or want it from anyone else.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Paula owes me $20.00 but other than that no one owes me anything. If I didn't work to acquire what I need or want I don't need it or want it from anyone else.
If you lost your job, was unable to find work, and defaulted on your mortgage, would you have a place to live? Would you have means to put food on your table and a place for your children to sleep? If you spent your life savings to get by until you did get a job, and then got one, how would you get to work?

My point is that there are a lot of unfortunate people struggling through no fault of their own who need assistance. And I think people who provide such assistance are the better people for having done so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies