Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This is pretty interesting. Will Americans only push for what’s right in other countries and not our own?

Mt. Rushmore land should be returned to Native American tribes, UN official says | The Upshot - Yahoo! News

You really have to ask?

It's a nice sentiment, not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Would you agree that there are MAYBE some "UN resolutions" that are a bit more important than others?

What the UN says should be done with some national park land is probably NOT as important as how the UN should react or be used to prevent genocide in Sudan, for example.

Do you not see a difference?
There is clearly a difference in the urgency of intervention policies. For example Human rights, Civil rights and then States/Country rights should be addressed in that order. But if someone only pushes for what they want and they ignore what they don’t you create a system of hypocrisy; a system where the rule of law only applies to others.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
If that is the case do you support Israel? How do you feel about the British giving them their ancestral land back?
Israel happened 60+ years ago... so let it stand.

I don't believe in fighting over land that was taken from someone centuries ago. That would be a never ending battle.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
I’m not assuming this is right or wrong. I’m just pointing out our hypocrisy when it comes to the interference into sovereign nations by the UN. We support a UN resolution to deal with this; a UN resolution to deal with that but when it comes to the UN looking into how we operate most response consist of “How dare you”. There is clearly a double standard and I’m pointing it out.

No double standard at all.... I don't support anything the UN does. We should exit immediately.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM

867 posts, read 498,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
supposedly we all came from africa..I want africa back..
You can have it after I shoot a couple lions and perhaps a pachyderm or two.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
The UN is irrelevant and should be evicted from our shores.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
Quote:
If that is the case do you support Israel? How do you feel about the British giving them their ancestral land back?
Funny you should mention that bit of information that will pass over most peoples heads.

Did you know that the distance from the center of the temple in Jerusalem to the exact center of LONDON (.)

Is exactly 1948.5 miles!! What does that mean?? 1948 the fifth month May was when Israel became a nation once again.

That the same measurement from the center of the temple inJerusalem to the exact center of Washington D.C is 1776 miles??

Sir Issac Newton discovered this incredible fact which is beyond awesome to read.

The distance from any city in the world to the center of Jerusalem brings out spectacular events or dates of BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS!!

Temple @ the Center of time!!

Issac Newton was one of the greatest scientists and mathematicians in our history. He was the head professor of the mathematics department for 29 years.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Quote:
In the Treaty of 1868, the U.S. government promised the Sioux territory that included the Black Hills in perpetuity. Perpetuity lasted only until gold was found in the mountains and prospectors migrated there in the 1870s. The federal government then forced the Sioux to relinquish the Black Hills portion of their reservation.
Quote:
The insult of Rushmore to some Sioux is at least three-fold:

1. It was built on land the government took from them.
2. The Black Hills in particular are considered sacred ground.
3. The monument celebrates the European settlers who killed so many Native Americans and appropriated their land.
American Experience | Mount Rushmore | People & Events

One of too many treaties broken...give it back.

BTW the tribe has been offered a lot of money for the land but refuse because it is considered sacred.

And as an aside I consider the carvings gross and would prefer the natural beauty of the hills vs the monstosity that is there now. I did love the scene in the move Skins when Rudy Yellowlodge dumped a big can of red paint over the head of one of the carvings.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Funny you should mention that bit of information that will pass over most peoples heads.

Did you know that the distance from the center of the temple in Jerusalem to the exact center of LONDON (.)

Is exactly 1948.5 miles!! What does that mean?? 1948 the fifth month May was when Israel became a nation once again.

That the same measurement from the center of the temple inJerusalem to the exact center of Washington D.C is 1776 miles??

Sir Issac Newton discovered this incredible fact which is beyond awesome to read.

The distance from any city in the world to the center of Jerusalem brings out spectacular events or dates of BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS!!

Temple @ the Center of time!!

Issac Newton was one of the greatest scientists and mathematicians in our history. He was the head professor of the mathematics department for 29 years.
might want to recheck the mileage to DC.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
might want to recheck the mileage to DC.
of course Newton was WRONG! google is the only one that has the TRUTH!!

Maybe I made a mistake (I don't think so) its been many years since I've read this incredible book but the two things that struck me as very odd were England & The U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies