Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hey, you whining millenials, look at this:

30-Year Mortgage Rates At Record Low 3.79 Percent : NPR

Now look at the rates in the 1980s, when some of us older boomers were buying our first home:

Mortgage (ARM) Indexes: Prime Rate: Historical Data

H***, the last time they were lower than today was April, 1956.
They think they deserve:

- a cheap mortgage
- a car
- a cell phone
- an Ipad
- regular infusions of overpriced Starbucks coffee
- etc. etc.

But it is our fault. We have been too successful and have brought up our kids with unrealistic expectations from life. Worse, we have given them too much and made life too nice for them.

The result is that they are incapable of looking after themselves and are casting around for someone to blame and someone to make life nice and easy for them again. Hence the whining.

Probably the best thing to do is reinstate physical punishment in school as a good whack around the ears every couple of days will help them focus. Then, bring back the draft so that a decent number of the little brats get a dose of the discipline they are clearly missing at home. I would also introduce a 100% tax on any gift of over $50 to anyone born after 1985.

Maybe then they will get the message .... stop whining, get a job, work hard and make your own place in the sun because we Boomers don't owe you anything.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:56 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
They think they deserve:

- a cheap mortgage
- a car
- a cell phone
- an Ipad
- regular infusions of overpriced Starbucks coffee
- etc. etc.

But it is our fault. We have been too successful and have brought up our kids with unrealistic expectations from life. Worse, we have given them too much and made life too nice for them.

The result is that they are incapable of looking after themselves and are casting around for someone to blame and someone to make life nice and easy for them again. Hence the whining.

Probably the best thing to do is reinstate physical punishment in school as a good whack around the ears every couple of days will help them focus. Then, bring back the draft so that a decent number of the little brats get a dose of the discipline they are clearly missing at home. I would also introduce a 100% tax on any gift of over $50 to anyone born after 1985.

Maybe then they will get the message .... stop whining, get a job, work hard and make your own place in the sun because we Boomers don't owe you anything.
Just like you can't paint all the Boomers with the same brush, neither can you do that to the Millenials. ALL the Millenials I know (including the 2 I raised) are hard working, self sufficient and do not whine. They are quite clear that their parents worked and sacrificed to give them good educations and are grateful for it.

Do some Millenials whine? Sure, but there are whiners in every generation.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, wanna do the generation thing?

The "everyone wins a trophy" thing was in the 70's, those are the boomers CHILDREN raising THEIR children so do NOT blame Boomers for that....study effing HISTORY!!!!!!!
You need to study effing history! I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and we had to actually win if we wanted some sort of trophy. The 'everyone wins...' crap happened later on, like around the 90s. Kids these days get a graduation ceremony for kindergarten, elementary and middle school. Back in my day, you didn't get to do the whole cap & gown thing until 12th grade. And then again after college. The last day of elementary or middle school? All we got was our report cards and a good swift kick out the door of the school.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
You need to study effing history! I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and we had to actually win if we wanted some sort of trophy. The 'everyone wins...' crap happened later on, like around the 90s. Kids these days get a graduation ceremony for kindergarten, elementary and middle school. Back in my day, you didn't get to do the whole cap & gown thing until 12th grade. And then again after college. The last day of elementary or middle school? All we got was our report cards and a good swift kick out the door of the school.
Tell me about it. We wanted to win, not participate. Every year we had 'prize-giving' and only the top of the class got a prize. And the rest of us had to sit there and watch him go up to receive it.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Tell me about it. We wanted to win, not participate. Every year we had 'prize-giving' and only the top of the class got a prize. And the rest of us had to sit there and watch him go up to receive it.
This.

And an actual competition to be Valedictorian. One student won that honor and no one was worried that someone else's feelings might be hurt if we actually knew who really was the smartest kid in class.

(A long-hair won in my high school graduating class. Even the jocks cheered for him when he stepped to the mic.)

Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,858 times
Boomers probably did have it easier than millenials.

Boomers were focused on their careers, schooling, finding a job, and making a life. Boomers didn't have the distraction spending an abnormal amount of time on the internet whining about their lives. Boomers knew what they wanted and went after it with a determination the millenials do not possess.

Yep,....it's easier if one doesn't let life one down too many rabbit trails.....

Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now look at the rates in the 1980s, when some of us older boomers were buying our first home:

Mortgage (ARM) Indexes: Prime Rate: Historical Data
I waited until 1992 to buy my first house -- saving money for 11 years after graduating from college -- and my interest rate was 8.65 percent. I thought that was pretty damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's just an expression, but to answer the question, for every auto plant that exists now, there were 8 in the past. We had 14 auto plants here in the Cincinnati area. Everyone of them is gone.
Exactly what I was thinking. And the much-ballyhooed modern auto plants that came after the first wave of closings in the late 70s-early 80s employed half as many people as the plants they replaced.

A lot of those are closed up now, too -- the Ford transmission plant in Batavia (built brand spanking new in the mid-80s) and the Chevy truck assembly plant (a refurbished Frigidaire plant that closed in 1978) in Moraine, to name two.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I recall watching a home movie (anyone else remember those?) of a kindergarten graduation of the class of 1957. This is not new! I see nothing wrong with a party at the end of school. 8th grade graduation parties seemed to be big in Illinois when I lived there in the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This.

And an actual competition to be Valedictorian. One student won that honor and no one was worried that someone else's feelings might be hurt if we actually knew who really was the smartest kid in class.

(A long-hair won in my high school graduating class. Even the jocks cheered for him when he stepped to the mic.)
My DH was shocked that my class had a female valedictorian. This was in 1967!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
LOL at the Boomers. Did you guys all private message each other to put your thoughts together? Maybe you should figure out the economy.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just like you can't paint all the Boomers with the same brush, neither can you do that to the Millenials. ALL the Millenials I know (including the 2 I raised) are hard working, self sufficient and do not whine. They are quite clear that their parents worked and sacrificed to give them good educations and are grateful for it.

Do some Millenials whine? Sure, but there are whiners in every generation.
Thank you Boomer. There's been quite of you on this thread who have made some good points. I'm not under the assumption that things were easy for your generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies