Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
All the occupiers want is money.
Which are they? Commies or capitalist?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One has to be 25 to be a member of the US House of Reps. The oldest Millennials are now 34. People born in 1987 are turning 25 this year. People born in 1994 are old enough to vote. Now I'll grant you, at 25, most people are still busy getting established in a career, so unless their intended career is politics, they're not out running for elective office, especially not federal office. I did come across something yesterday that said most male politicians start running for public office in their late 20s (women later), so certainly there should be some Millennial city council people, county comissioners and the like out there by now. Also, there are the generation Xers between the BBs and the Mills, the oldest of which are now 47, well into their political careers.

I didn't watch the NATO protests except on the local news. I haven't been on any NATO threads to see who is complaining; I'd be willing to bet it's a lot of Gen Xers. In any event, we Boomers saw, and in some cases participated in, other protests. My college had some weekly protest, on Wednesdays, I believe, against the Viet Nam war. It was all pretty low-key at my college, the University of Pittsburgh, but things got pretty wild up at Penn State where my brother was. FWIW.
Here's some coverage of the recent protest.

"Does Anybody Deserve This!" CNN's Don Lemon Shocked Police Brutality At NATO Protest In Chicago - YouTube

Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
How about you. Pick an issue and go for it. It'll be a public debate.
Millennials ---- "Increase taxes on the wealthy".

Democrats ---- "Increase taxes on the wealthy".

How much debate can we have on this one?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Millennials ---- "Tax the rich".

Democrats ---- "Tax the rich".

How much debate can we have on this one?
There should be no debate. How do you expect to increase revenues? Please explain WHERE you plan on raising additional taxes.

And there are several "Rich" who believe they should be taxed more.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,289 times
Quote:
How about you. Pick an issue and go for it. It'll be a public debate.
Millennials ---- "Universal healthcare or some form of it".

Democrats ---- "Universal healthcare or some form of it".

Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Those are huge shoes to fill.

Huge.

And you might want to start by stopping the complaining (and the chest thumping) because the Greatest Generation did NOT whine and carry on and say, "Poor me". They just went out and did what needed to be done. Which was save the world.
Yes, and then they proceeded to saddle America with explosive suburban sprawl and the whiniest, greediest generation EVER.

Sometimes I wonder why they bothered to save the world.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Millennials ---- "Universal healthcare or some form of it".

Democrats ---- "Universal healthcare or some form of it".
If that's your basis for reasoning than what's the use of debating?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Funny how the thread dies when any REAL debate comes up. I'm still waiting on you YooperKat to explain to me where you plan on getting this additional tax revenue to balance the budget or better yet *gasp* create a surplus.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, and then they proceeded to saddle America with explosive suburban sprawl and the whiniest, greediest generation EVER.
Urban sprawl? All the things wrong in this country and you pick that? Interesting choice. OK. I'm not exactly enthralled with urban sprawl myself. The Greatest Generation saw urban sprawl as a good thing as it helped solve the post-WWII housing crisis. They were not about to live in Mom's basement. No. Wasn't happening for a second longer than necessary.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Funny how the thread dies when any REAL debate comes up. I'm still waiting on you YooperKat to explain to me where you plan on getting this additional tax revenue to balance the budget or better yet *gasp* create a surplus.
Don't do that. Don't assume that someone is avoiding your question simply because they don't immediately respond to your comment. This is not a chatroom. It's a forum and people sign out.

As for your question about tax revenue and how to we create more to keep up with the spending? One suggestion: NAFTA. Charge more tax on other countries to import their goods to the U.S. That's one way.

President Obama campaigned on NAFTA and promised to renegotiate it but he hasn't mentioned it since his election.

Not saying that will fix the entire problem but if you and others are looking for other means of revenue for this this country, that may be one source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies