Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Don't do that. Don't assume that someone is avoiding your question simply because they don't immediately respond to your comment. This is not a chatroom. It's a forum and people sign out.

As for your question about tax revenue and how to we create more to keep up with the spending? One suggestion: NAFTA. Charge more tax on other countries to import their goods to the U.S. That's one way.

President Obama campaigned on NAFTA and promised to renegotiate it but he hasn't mentioned it since his election.

Not saying that will fix the entire problem but if you and others are looking for other means of revenue for this this country, that may be one source.
Valid point. I'll wait on a response.

As far as imports go, whenever negotiating rates, you have to take into account that relationships are involved as well. If we increase taxes on imports from Britain for example, they have every right to increase the tax burden on our exports to them. It won't show up in our federal revenue stream, but it will be an additional burden on businesses that do business with Britain.

Also, I don't believe that tax would be enough to generate enough revenue to even come close to balancing the budgets.

Have any other recommendations?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Funny how the thread dies when any REAL debate comes up. I'm still waiting on you YooperKat to explain to me where you plan on getting this additional tax revenue to balance the budget or better yet *gasp* create a surplus.
Jeez, sorry,

I was a bit busy with the Christian hating bigot Democrats wanting to tax churches on a different thread. Is that OK?

Which you would probably agree with for raising revenue. Even though it is against the law.

How do you raise revenue? By lowering taxes and creating an environment that encourages job growth.

Here's an idea. Don't commit to nearly as much spending as you Millennials intend to spend. No amount of revenue through taxation will cover that cost.

Anyway, I'm never going to agree with you on any of these things or the "failures that your generation has learned from".

I've got other things to do than debate you over things you'll never understand.

Just like the thousands of times I've wasted my time debating the same things with other Democrats on City Data over the years.

Good Luck when you get into power.

Fortunately, I'll be dead.

Just before you put the final stake through the heart of what was once a beautiful country.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Yeah, Libertarians will agree with the smoking pot part.

The rest of the list is almost all fund this and fund that.

Tax and Regulate.

Libertarians won't appreciate that.
I was thinking more on the lines of ending the military industrial complex.
I guess if you want to think all the libertarian party stands for is legalization
of pot, knock yourself out.

Ending the war on drugs IMO, is not a bad idea, especially from a
fiscal and criminal point of view, saving the moral judgement to a church

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Valid point. I'll wait on a response.

As far as imports go, whenever negotiating rates, you have to take into account that relationships are involved as well. If we increase taxes on imports from Britain for example, they have every right to increase the tax burden on our exports to them. It won't show up in our federal revenue stream, but it will be an additional burden on businesses that do business with Britain.

Also, I don't believe that tax would be enough to generate enough revenue to even come close to balancing the budgets.

Have any other recommendations?
Thanks for understanding about my comment. Didn't mean to scold you. It's just that a lot of good discussion is missed when people let their impatience get ahead of things.

I see your point about NAFTA and you're right about, "if we do this, they will do that," logic. Good and bad things about NAFTA. The good: It opened up trade between countries. The bad: Made it easier for manufacturing companies in the U.S. to relocate to countries where their tax burden wouldn't be as great. Great for business but not so great for the American worker. Case in point: Hershey Corp. Moved a plant from California to Mexico. Reasons? Labor costs and price of sugar. The price of sugar in Mexico is cheaper. Bottom line to that? Produce a product that costs less, thereby adding more to the bottom line for the company and shareholders.

For that reason alone, I stopped buying Hershey products. All Hershey products. It was my way of protesting. As for the abandoned manufacturing plant, Ghirardelli came in and re-hired all the displaced workers. I now buy Ghirardelli chocolate. Yeah! That'll teach 'em to mess around with me!

Seriously though, one thing I think all of us can agree on. It's tough to live in the U.S. if you don't have adequate income to keep up. We have a broken system in DC. Our politicians are out of touch with the rest of us. The country is divided, not only on politics, but race, money, and religion too. Until we stop trying to blame one generation to the next, we'll never be able to fix it. I'm always open to hearing what the younger generation has to say about solutions. However, I will be quick to correct them, if their "facts" are not true.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was thinking more on the lines of ending the military industrial complex.

I guess if you want to think all the libertarian party stands for is legalization
of pot, knock yourself out.
I don't think that all the libertarian party stands for is legalization of pot. Just an observation.

As for the military industrial complex, you have to get airplanes and tanks from somewhere.

There could be some healthy changes in how contracts are won and who gets them, but most of the reason defense costs so much is the fault of Congress.

A hammer costs $100. 30 times more than a hammer costs at any hardware store. The taxpayer pays exponentially more for every single part that goes into an airplane, etc.

America would save a lot of money if our purchasing system were more efficient.

Here's the explanation (warning: it's kinda long)

Yes, Virginia, A $2.98 Hammer REALLY Costs Our Government $100 | Scragged

Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
Quote:
Way to deflect.

These comments have nothing to do with the debate.
Just shows how little you know about history.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
As for your question about tax revenue and how to we create more to keep up with the spending? One suggestion: NAFTA. Charge more tax on other countries to import their goods to the U.S. That's one way.

President Obama campaigned on NAFTA and promised to renegotiate it but he hasn't mentioned it since his election.
Look, this is real simple. You can lose 5 Million jobs, or you can sign NAFTA and lose 3 Million jobs.

Choose wisely.

Well, they chose wisely. They chose NAFTA. The world is changing, and you cannot stop it. You either adapt to the changes, or suffer the consequences.

Logically...

Mircea

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but here's a list I'd say is pretty accurate talking to others in my social circle.

- A strong will to invest in OUR country and to pull out of nation building in other countries.
But the US never engaged in nation building. That is one of the reasons why you are in the mess you are in. BRIC builds nations; the US never built any nations. The only thing the US did was steal from other countries.

The fact that BRIC is engaging in nation building is your greatest demon, because you now have competition on a global scale and you cannot compete, because you cheated.

Quote:
- An end to the Military Industrial Complex and massive cuts to defence
But the reason you enjoy such a wonderful standard of living is precisely because of the Military-Industrial Complex. How do you think you got this standard of living? Working hard? No. You got it through the Military-Industrial Complex.

Africa was a net-exporter of food. What happened when the US Military-Industrial Complex went into Africa?

They plowed up all of the rice fields beautifully terraced on the mountain sides and started growing coffee and chocolate (beans). The tore up the wheat and corn fields to grow sugar cane.

And then Africa becomes a net-importer of food.

Except the African countries don't have any money to buy food to import it. Why not? Because you steal all of the profits and pay no taxes and fraudulently devalue your assets to avoid paying any royalties on profits and any attempt to tax a US Corporation results in the US Military-Industrial Complex raining down on them.

And you give no money to them for development. Instead, you coerce them into borrowing from the IMF to build the infrastructure to help you steal their resources, wealth and profits more efficiently.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat for Asia and South America.

Do you know why Mexico nationalized its oil industry? Because US oil companies had the standard, "We get 92% of the profit and you get 8% of the profit" deal (same deal with all oil countries). And then US oil companies fraudulently devalue their assets to avoid paying both the 8% royalty and the taxes. The US oil companies got sued and the Mexican Supreme Court ordered US oil companies to pay back taxes and come current on taxes due.

The US oil companies refused.

President Cardenas expropriated them. The US oil companies had fraudulently devalued their assets to a net worth of $8 Million. President Cardenas offered the US $24 Million in compensation -- 3x the state book value of the assets.

And what was the US response? The US screamed with righteous indignation. FDR would have invaded Mexico to seize the oil fields, but WW II was happening and that wouldn't have been very smart tactically. You can read classified US documents on the invasion plans.

And Castro? Cuban courts order US Corporations to pay taxes owed, US Corporations refused, and so under International Law, under US Public Law and under Cuban Law, Castro legally and justifiably and rightfully expropriated US assets.

And for that, you have spent $Billions trying to overthrow Castro.

A Nicaraguan president taxed US Corporations and the US murdered him in cold blood. His successor asked the US government if he could tax US Corporations, and the US overthrew his government (but did not murder him).

Nearly 3 years ago The Boy King illegally overthrew the Honduran government. That was the 14th time in 100 years the US has illegally overthrown an Honduran government.

As I recall, you were saying something silly about the Military-Industrial Complex.

Quote:
- Universal healthcare or some form of it
Not possible.

When you figure out how to pay for Social Security and Medicare, without increasing your National Debt, let me know.

Aside from that, are you willing to close 60% of your hospitals? You do want a universal health care system like Europe don't you? Well, the reason the European system works, is because they closed 60% of their hospitals.

Berlin and Bucharesti have 3 Million people and 3 hospitals. Paris has 3 Million people and 6 hospitals.

The Cincinnati MSA has 3 Million people and 19 hospitals.

Oooops.

Figure it out yet?

Quote:
- Reduction in education cost
Stop interfering in the market.

The interest rates for anything are set by Supply & Demand. You have a limited pool of money available for educational loans. There are a lot of people who want to borrow that money. That makes the interest rate high. Except you have interfered and artificially kept the rate low, which has drive up the cost of education. That is called Interest Inflation.

I would settle for a European education system, would you?

Test in the 8th Grade, test scores determine educational or vocational track. Assuming you get into the educational track, you are graduated at the age of 16. You test. If you score high enough on the test, you get to go to college preparatory school. If you don't, then have a nice life.

After you finish your 2 years of college preparatory school, you test again. Score high enough and you get to go to university. If you don't score high enough, have a nice life.

Sounds great, doesn't it? I think so. I think the minimum cut-off should be 2100 on the SAT. Score 2099 on the SAT, then have fun working at McDonald's.

Quote:
- Some form of legislation to address student loan debt (it has not surpassed credit card debt)
Why? You signed the contract. And now you want to weasel out? Of course, that's par for the course for your generation.

Quote:
- A push (NOT through legislation) to reduce the size of corporations and investment in small business
I see you still cannot grasp the concept of Global Economy.

Quote:
-- Social equality under the law (marriage equality, racial equality)
You cannot legislate thought. I would have figured you'd learned that from reading Orwell's 1984, but I guess not.

Quote:
- Killing the Patriot Act
- Killing NDAA
Why would you kill the NDAA? The Boy King thinks it's a fine idea, just like the Patriot Act.

Quote:
- Legalization of Marijuana
And what safeguards do I get?

Ever see what a body looks like after a few 2 ton pallets knocked over by a stoned fork-lift driver lands on them? Do you know how you can tell the difference between brains and small intestines? The small intestines have a pinker hue.

Quote:
- Reducing the number of incarcerated Americans by sending those convicted of possession crimes to rehab rather than jail
Rehab doesn't work. The only thing that works even remotely well is intense behavior modification therapy, and that effectively requires incarceration.

Quote:
- Funding alternative fuel research
Pointless.

Effectively, you have an ugly house and your solution is to paint it different colors to see which looks best.

The problem is the combustion engine. You don't need alternative fuels, since there are none, what you need is a new type of engine.

Quote:
- Cutting our dependence on oil
Not possible. The Extravagant American Life-Style™ revolves around oil, and in particular, it revolves around foreign imported light sweet (low sulfur) crude oil --- and you ain't got none.

Anytime you are willing to surrender The Extravagant American Life-Style™ and live like people did in the late 1960s and early 1970s, you just let us know.

That would actually solve your Medicare problems. Without foreign imported light sweet (low sulfur) crude oil there is no possible way to make any of the pharmaceutical drugs that have been introduced since 1994.

A lot of people are going to die.

Your pharmaceuticals (and thousands of Health & Beauty Aids plus cosmetics) require Neodol. It's an organic alcohol. You have Nedol-25, Neodol-65, Neodol-67 etc etc etc. That describes the alkyl chains.

You cannot refine those from Canadian crap tar sands, or Canadian Hardisty, or California Heavy, Oklahoma Heavy, Lousiana Heavy. Prudhoe Bay, Unita Basin Black Wax, Wilmington or any other heavy oil.

You cannot get it from West Texas Intermediate, East Texas Sour, West Texas Sour, Illinois Intermediate or any other intermediate grade oil.

You need light oil, like Arabian Light, Persian Light, Bonny Light, Tijuana Light, Basra Light, Oseborg, Stratfjord, Azeri Light, Asgard Blend, Magallenes or Kuwait Light.

So go ahead and put an end to all foreign imports of light oil. That will only result in the loss of 5 Million jobs permanently, but then who cares since lots of Americans will die without their needed medications.

Don't blame me, blame organic chemistry. Or blame the dinosaurs.

Quote:
- Funding construction projects to improve our countries infastructure (high speed rail connecting regions)
- Funding public transportation projects
Not a priority. The first priority would be shifting 85% of your freight to rail.

Quote:
Those are a few policies I feel that most Millenials would be for. Again, I can't speak for an entire generation, but I'd say as a majority, those policy positions would be universally agreed upon.
Great, so we can all look forward to the future of America as just another 2nd World State like Belarus.

I'll be sure and look forward to that.

Quote:
- The reduction of poverty in this country
- Improvement of our inner cities and rural areas plagued by poverty
There is no poverty in the US. Anytime you want to see poverty, let me know and at your expense, I'll take you on the World Poverty Tour™. We'll start in Eastern Europe, and then you'll need about about 6 months to rest and recover, because you'll be puking your guts out and having nightmares for the rest of your life. And then we'll go to Africa, Asia and South America to see poverty, assuming you still have the guts to do that.

Quote:
- The reduction of government employees
I take it you missed this study by the Donahue Institute at UMass:

Quote:
UMass Donahue Institute projects federal cuts would cost
state 52,000 jobs
UMass Donahue Institute projects federal cuts would cost state 52,000 jobs | GazetteNET

For all 50 States, that will be a total loss of ~2.5 Million jobs permanently.

Quote:
- Seeking real solutions to end the drug war and to reduce addiction
There is no "War on Drugs™" and never has been. It's all talk. If you truly had a "War on Drugs™" then 100% of people entering the US would be searched. The Supreme Court has ruled that is permissible, so long as 100% = 100% and not "Well, you're a member of royalty, oops, I mean a celebrity and you don't have to be searched if you throw a tantrum; and you're a member of royalty, oops, I mean you're an elected official you don't have to be searched if you whine enough."

Quote:
- Increased financial sector regulation
And who will pay for that?

Quote:
- Outlawing commercial banks from risky investments
And Student Loans aren't risky investments?

Quote:
- Increasing taxes on the wealthy
Why?

The IRS reports that there were 236,883 tax-payers in 2009 who earned more than $1 Million. They earned a total of $727 Billion.

Let's tax that $727 Billion at 91%, then:

$727 Billion * 0.91 = $661 Billion.

In 2010, Social Security paid out $701 Billion in benefits, so taxing "the rich" at 91% wouldn't even pay for 1 year's worth of Social Security.

Quote:
Our generation still doesn't have a majority vote on most issues.
And it never will.

One thing all generations have in common is an hardline split along ideological lines that will apparently not ameliorate itself any time in the future.

Quote:
Anybody track the NATO protest this past weekend?
Why should I care?

Whether NATO exists or not, none of your problems will be solved. What will solve your problems is removing money, power and influence from the legislative and electoral process.

Your Congress has introduced two very weak water-downed bills proposing an amendment to the US Constitution to reform campaign finance. Neither are good enough.

You want to reform the system, then pass a constitutional amendment that bars anyone or anything from contributing money, favors or gifts to an election campaign or to a ballot issue (like casinos or something) unless they are eligible to vote in that election.

Since corporations, unions, political action committees, think tanks and special interest groups cannot vote, they cannot contribute money. And better still, it keeps other States from interfering in State elections. It is a gross violation of sovereignty to have a State like California or New York dump $Millions into Indiana, Michigan or Ohio to influence elections there.

That's something you should be protesting, but I guess there are two strikes against it: It isn't glamorous enough, and it invokes common sense.

Rebutting...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What's the problem? Do a lot of millennials think it's beneath their dignity to wait tables and wash dishes? A lot of baby boomers had to do that when young.
Young? Hell, I was doing that just a few years ago to pay my way through university, instead of acting stupidly and borrowing Student Loans.

Bussing tables...

Mircea

Old 05-21-2012, 03:26 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The world is changing, and you cannot stop it. You either adapt to the changes, or suffer the consequences.

I'm aware of that, Mircea. I don't recall suggesting to stop progress. I happen to agree that people need to adapt to change. Nowhere on this thread did I say we should go back to the way things were. It's been a discussion about blaming the boomers for the way things are today.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Look, this is real simple. You can lose 5 Million jobs, or you can sign NAFTA and lose 3 Million jobs.

Choose wisely.

Well, they chose wisely. They chose NAFTA. The world is changing, and you cannot stop it. You either adapt to the changes, or suffer the consequences.

Logically...

Mircea

But the US never engaged in nation building. That is one of the reasons why you are in the mess you are in. BRIC builds nations; the US never built any nations. The only thing the US did was steal from other countries.

The fact that BRIC is engaging in nation building is your greatest demon, because you now have competition on a global scale and you cannot compete, because you cheated.

But the reason you enjoy such a wonderful standard of living is precisely because of the Military-Industrial Complex. How do you think you got this standard of living? Working hard? No. You got it through the Military-Industrial Complex.

Africa was a net-exporter of food. What happened when the US Military-Industrial Complex went into Africa?

They plowed up all of the rice fields beautifully terraced on the mountain sides and started growing coffee and chocolate (beans). The tore up the wheat and corn fields to grow sugar cane.

Except the African countries don't have any money to buy food to import it. Why not? Because you steal all of the profits and pay no taxes and fraudulently devalue your assets to avoid paying any royalties on profits and any attempt to tax a US Corporation results in the US Military-Industrial Complex raining down on them.

And you give no money to them for development. Instead, you coerce them into borrowing from the IMF to build the infrastructure to help you steal their resources, wealth and profits more efficiently.

Do you know why Mexico nationalized its oil industry? Because US oil companies had the standard, "We get 92% of the profit and you get 8% of the profit" deal (same deal with all oil countries). And then US oil companies fraudulently devalue their assets to avoid paying both the 8% royalty and the taxes. The US oil companies got sued and the Mexican Supreme Court ordered US oil companies to pay back taxes and come current on taxes due.

President Cardenas expropriated them. The US oil companies had fraudulently devalued their assets to a net worth of $8 Million. President Cardenas offered the US $24 Million in compensation -- 3x the state book value of the assets.

And what was the US response? The US screamed with righteous indignation. FDR would have invaded Mexico to seize the oil fields, but WW II was happening and that wouldn't have been very smart tactically. You can read classified US documents on the invasion plans.

And Castro? Cuban courts order US Corporations to pay taxes owed, US Corporations refused, and so under International Law, under US Public Law and under Cuban Law, Castro legally and justifiably and rightfully expropriated US assets.

A Nicaraguan president taxed US Corporations and the US murdered him in cold blood. His successor asked the US government if he could tax US Corporations, and the US overthrew his government (but did not murder him).

Nearly 3 years ago The Boy King illegally overthrew the Honduran government. That was the 14th time in 100 years the US has illegally overthrown an Honduran government.

As I recall, you were saying something silly about the Military-Industrial Complex.

Not possible.

When you figure out how to pay for Social Security and Medicare, without increasing your National Debt, let me know.

Aside from that, are you willing to close 60% of your hospitals? You do want a universal health care system like Europe don't you? Well, the reason the European system works, is because they closed 60% of their hospitals.

Berlin and Bucharesti have 3 Million people and 3 hospitals. Paris has 3 Million people and 6 hospitals.

Oooops.

Figure it out yet?

The interest rates for anything are set by Supply & Demand. You have a limited pool of money available for educational loans. There are a lot of people who want to borrow that money. That makes the interest rate high. Except you have interfered and artificially kept the rate low, which has drive up the cost of education. That is called Interest Inflation.

Test in the 8th Grade, test scores determine educational or vocational track. Assuming you get into the educational track, you are graduated at the age of 16. You test. If you score high enough on the test, you get to go to college preparatory school. If you don't, then have a nice life.

After you finish your 2 years of college preparatory school, you test again. Score high enough and you get to go to university. If you don't score high enough, have a nice life.

Sounds great, doesn't it? I think so. I think the minimum cut-off should be 2100 on the SAT. Score 2099 on the SAT, then have fun working at McDonald's.

Why? You signed the contract. And now you want to weasel out? Of course, that's par for the course for your generation.

You cannot legislate thought. I would have figured you'd learned that from reading Orwell's 1984, but I guess not.

Why would you kill the NDAA? The Boy King thinks it's a fine idea, just like the Patriot Act.

Ever see what a body looks like after a few 2 ton pallets knocked over by a stoned fork-lift driver lands on them? Do you know how you can tell the difference between brains and small intestines? The small intestines have a pinker hue.

Rehab doesn't work. The only thing that works even remotely well is intense behavior modification therapy, and that effectively requires incarceration.

Pointless.

Effectively, you have an ugly house and your solution is to paint it different colors to see which looks best.

The problem is the combustion engine. You don't need alternative fuels, since there are none, what you need is a new type of engine.

Not possible. The Extravagant American Life-Style™ revolves around oil, and in particular, it revolves around foreign imported light sweet (low sulfur) crude oil --- and you ain't got none.

Anytime you are willing to surrender The Extravagant American Life-Style™ and live like people did in the late 1960s and early 1970s, you just let us know.

That would actually solve your Medicare problems. Without foreign imported light sweet (low sulfur) crude oil there is no possible way to make any of the pharmaceutical drugs that have been introduced since 1994.

Your pharmaceuticals (and thousands of Health & Beauty Aids plus cosmetics) require Neodol. It's an organic alcohol. You have Nedol-25, Neodol-65, Neodol-67 etc etc etc. That describes the alkyl chains.

You cannot refine those from Canadian crap tar sands, or Canadian Hardisty, or California Heavy, Oklahoma Heavy, Lousiana Heavy. Prudhoe Bay, Unita Basin Black Wax, Wilmington or any other heavy oil.

You cannot get it from West Texas Intermediate, East Texas Sour, West Texas Sour, Illinois Intermediate or any other intermediate grade oil.

You need light oil, like Arabian Light, Persian Light, Bonny Light, Tijuana Light, Basra Light, Oseborg, Stratfjord, Azeri Light, Asgard Blend, Magallenes or Kuwait Light.

So go ahead and put an end to all foreign imports of light oil. That will only result in the loss of 5 Million jobs permanently, but then who cares since lots of Americans will die without their needed medications.

Not a priority. The first priority would be shifting 85% of your freight to rail.

Great, so we can all look forward to the future of America as just another 2nd World State like Belarus.

There is no poverty in the US. Anytime you want to see poverty, let me know and at your expense, I'll take you on the World Poverty Tour™. We'll start in Eastern Europe, and then you'll need about about 6 months to rest and recover, because you'll be puking your guts out and having nightmares for the rest of your life. And then we'll go to Africa, Asia and South America to see poverty, assuming you still have the guts to do that.

UMass Donahue Institute projects federal cuts would cost state 52,000 jobs | GazetteNET

There is no "War on Drugs™" and never has been. It's all talk. If you truly had a "War on Drugs™" then 100% of people entering the US would be searched. The Supreme Court has ruled that is permissible, so long as 100% = 100% and not "Well, you're a member of royalty, oops, I mean a celebrity and you don't have to be searched if you throw a tantrum; and you're a member of royalty, oops, I mean you're an elected official you don't have to be searched if you whine enough."

Why?

The IRS reports that there were 236,883 tax-payers in 2009 who earned more than $1 Million. They earned a total of $727 Billion.

In 2010, Social Security paid out $701 Billion in benefits, so taxing "the rich" at 91% wouldn't even pay for 1 year's worth of Social Security.

And it never will.

One thing all generations have in common is an hardline split along ideological lines that will apparently not ameliorate itself any time in the future.

Why should I care?

Whether NATO exists or not, none of your problems will be solved. What will solve your problems is removing money, power and influence from the legislative and electoral process.

Your Congress has introduced two very weak water-downed bills proposing an amendment to the US Constitution to reform campaign finance. Neither are good enough.

You want to reform the system, then pass a constitutional amendment that bars anyone or anything from contributing money, favors or gifts to an election campaign or to a ballot issue (like casinos or something) unless they are eligible to vote in that election.

Since corporations, unions, political action committees, think tanks and special interest groups cannot vote, they cannot contribute money. And better still, it keeps other States from interfering in State elections. It is a gross violation of sovereignty to have a State like California or New York dump $Millions into Indiana, Michigan or Ohio to influence elections there.

That's something you should be protesting, but I guess there are two strikes against it: It isn't glamorous enough, and it invokes common sense.

Rebutting...

Mircea

Young? Hell, I was doing that just a few years ago to pay my way through university, instead of acting stupidly and borrowing Student Loans.

Bussing tables...

Mircea
Your blanket statements are untrue. I know there is war on drugs.. I know police who go into the bad neighborhoods and it is bad the drug dealing.and very dangerous for the police . I know some personally. I also know of grow houses in Florida growing pot in a very elaborate system of light and misting and trashing nice homes to grow it. Some of these grow houses are located in middle class neighborhoods with not a soul knowing . I know a women who lived next door to a grow house and knew nothing till they came with battering rams and swat teams to take out the people and the plants.

In Florida and NJ the states I reside at , there are homeless people living in the woods. Many of them. Living in plastic sheeted rooms who once were employed with good jobs. I have seen towns with run down homes that were falling apart all over the country. We have poverty.

Homeless Camp Lakewood NJ - YouTube

Homeless flood the road to Disney World - YouTube

Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
[quote=Mircea;24400022]

What do you think we're doing in Iraq right now? Building a regime more conducive to our will. We used Saddam when we needed him, and then when it was time for him to go, he had WMDs. Now we're still over there NATION BUILDING

All I heard in this rant was a bunch of immoral things that the US did. I don't know if you justify the US doing something wrong (unless you believe ANY country should have the right do things "wrong") but I don't advocate the use of force merely for the collection of "resources." My ancestors were slaves and our ancestors were stripped of their resources by some with the very same mindset. I believe in creating a country based on efficiency and importing and exporting goods for fair value. If you want to call that NATION BUILDING I'd understand. I can see why some would be opposed to it. It might not get you the most "wealth" but it will be a mutually beneficial arrangement for both countries.

Not possible.

If there was Universal Healthcare there wouldn't be a need for those. They'd just be part of "healthcare"

And I don't even use smileys

Europe is not a country. However, there are several countries in Europe.

It's so much fun when you break up someone's conversations ha ha. Oh, Cincinnati? You mean that country with some of the most violent neighborhoods in the country? Well lets see, healthcare. I really don't know what conclusion your drawing with the hospital argument but many in the working class don't currently go to hospitals because of co-pays. They can't afford co-pays. Yea, great healthcare system.

Oooops.

Figure it out yet?

Still not done...

I don't consider it a "market." I consider it an education. Every American deserves it and we're better off as a country the more educated our people are. If your only gauging it as means for a workforce, then your undermining the entire premise.

I stopped reading back up by the blue. Your so easy.

Yawn. Know what it's like to hear automatic gunshots at 10:30 in the morning? There's other teachers in this country.

Are you talking about Obama? Are you assuming I'm democrat?

No but I know what it looks like when someone gets shot at point blank. Saw my 1st person get shot when I was 15. Second when I was 17. And I grew up in KY, not Chicago. Imagine what some of those kids saw. Think the cops would have beat those protesters last weekend?

As far as legalization, it's far less dangerous than alcohol. By this I'm referring to driving. There's been studies (in Europe LOL) that have proven it is relatively safe even while driving. It would also create a HUGE means of revenue that we're in dire need of right now. Portugal legalized everything and cut their addiction rate in half.

Oh, and I forgot to add, it would probably reduce the murder rate. Not just here, but in Mexico. Where they're dumping piles of bodies in the streets as cartels terrorize entire cities. That's all because of our drug use you know.

BS. I've known people to complete kick hard drugs. I've seen people completely kick drugs completely. Some did it without therapy. You'd be surprised what humans can do.

Pointless.

Since you didn't even address this topic I'll just type a response anyway. There's no alternative fuel sources? Tesla was pulling enough electricity to power a city out of lightning storms at the turn of the century. I'm sure America's brightest could come up with some renewable energy sources we could power our country on.

Skipped this section as well. See the above section. There's other energy sources out there. It's why we'll hopefully live longer than the dinosaurs (unless that is, everyone believes what you do)

What?

Don't worry. You'll be around. And your ass will be happy because our country will be much better. So be glad we didn't stop dreaming.

No need for a tour. Come up to Chicago and I'll drop you off in one of the city's neighborhoods. You come back here and tell us about your experience.

I did miss this study. You could have a point here.I'd have to look at the functions and budgets of all sectors to be able to determine where the cuts would be made. Another option is pay cuts. Or stagnant pay. Either way, government employees are being paid beyond their market value.

Call it "not interfering with the market"

Then tell me why there were more people killed in Chicago than soldiers in Iraq? Don't worry, that's where your tour takes you!!!

You just create laws for them to abide by. When I was studying for my Wall Street position I had to read all about the laws to abide by. You know, Wall Street stuff

That's a whole nother conversation. Buy one of my policies has you covered. Figured you'd say something like that

Why?

Because it increases revenue. Remember the group of millionaires who marched to Washington to propose raising their taxes?

Anyways, you might not be getting your Social Security old man. Or woman. Because of this post, when all of us crazy Millenials are meeting I'm going to kill Social Security.

Except for the other Boomers, they're kinda cool.

And it never will.

I disagree. With you. Not with most of them. We're still cool.

Why should I care?

Rebutting...

Mircea

I agree with most of this.

[quote=Mircea;24400022]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies