Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I know it sounds RIDICULOUS to a boom to imagine forgoing something for another person, but yes, I'd like to see some leadership from boomers on this matter. I'd like for them to step up and own up to the fact that the bank was giving away on their watch, and now it's up to them to make some hard choices for future Americans. I know it seems perfectly reasonable to booms for those of us in their 30s and younger to pay for them and then not get it ourselves, but when the shoe is on the other foot .. and it's them paying for it with no pay-out they go .

Why is the idea of us paying for you and receiving nothing ourselves perfectly acceptable, booms? Why not take some of the burden upon yourselves, since you are the ones who broke the system in the first place? Oh, I remember .. because you lot are a bunch of spoiled brats who never learned what it meant to be a mature adult who knows how to lead and take ownership and responsibility.
I am not going to forgo 45 years of contributions plus interest, sorry, pal. Period. What part of we paid for the retirees ahead of us do you not understand, though it' been said many times over? We're paying right now for people anywhere from 62 (younger than me by a year who took early retirement) to 100+. You whining millenials aren't the only ones paying for their retirement, and you won't be the only ones paying for ours.

Quote:
Yet this is exactly the "plan" (I realize booms don't really plan) the booms have put in place for future generations of Americans. Now are you starting to see why booms are not that all well liked?
No. What I see is some whimpering, simpering Millenials who just started their careers who think THEY are entitled to something. You will not convince ONE Boomer with these playground cries of "it's not fair".

Quote:
I come across as quite caustic in this thread, Dew, but I'm not. I'm actually quite satisfied with my life, and I don't hate my parents, both of whom died when I was young. My dad was a member of the Silent Generation, but my mom was a boomer -- born in 1946.

There are actually a lot of things I like about the booms, but this Social Security issue is very, very unfair. When I propose that Boomers should just eat it (and take nothing) it sounds outrageous, doesn't it? Yet, this is exactly what is being asked of my generation. Most of us are too young and not quite saavy enough to be tracking exactly what is happening, but those of us who are are more than a little miffed. Surely you can understand, can't you? Imagine if there was actually a law on the books stating that no one born between 1945 and 1964 was going to get Social Security. You think boomers (who are still the folks who are in power) would get much more serious about fixing the problem? I do.
Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine. No, I don't understand your issue. You want US to give up our retirement for YOU. And you call us "entitled". As Dew said, we all know that SS won't fully fund our retirement, and contrary to what you read in "GQ" or wherever you're reading this crap, many of us have other investments to help carry us through. That is more than most "Greatest Gen" and "Silent Gen" people did, as they had PENSIONS to help out.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-27-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not going to forgo 45 years of contributions plus interest, sorry, pal. Period.
I seem to have hit a nerve here. Do you think it's reasonable to ask me to continue to make contributions (I've already made 20 years worth... I'm 35 ... started working young) to something I'm not going to see a dime of? It's not, right? But I suppose in your mind that's my problem to worry about. Again, when you wonder why other generations don't think as highly of your generation as your generation thinks of itself, look in the mirror for some answers. Your parents, your kids and your grandkids can't all be wrong, can they?

Don't worry boom. I expect nothing from you. I accept it as my generation's destiny to clean up the mess yours has made.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM

45,424 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
I seem to have hit a nerve here. Do you think it's reasonable to ask me to continue to make contributions (I've already made 20 years worth... I'm 35 ... started working young) to something I'm not going to see a dime of? It's not, right? But I suppose in your mind that's my problem to worry about. Again, when you wonder why other generations don't think as highly of your generation as your generation thinks of itself, look in the mirror for some answers. Your parents, your kids and your grandkids can't all be wrong, can they?

Don't worry boom. I expect nothing from you. I accept it as my generation's destiny to clean up the mess yours has made.
If I read this correctly, you're essentially saying that your generation (larger than the Boomer generation, by the way) is not going to have any offspring to contribute to Social Security. If you don't mean that, ok, but that's how it sounds.

I also won't "see a dime" of my, to date, nearly 44 years of FICA contributions since it has already been spent on the Greatest and Silent generations. Which was how the system was originally set up. Current workers pay for past workers. I don't see that changing anytime soon, do you?

Old 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

Knock it off. One more insult and you're going on ignore.

If you'd quit watching FOX News, you wouldn't be so convinced that SS is not going to be around for you. Here you are, expecting a whole cohort of people, 15 years worth, to forgoe all their contributions so you can retire at your beach-side villa, calling my generation self-centered.

To date, I have paid in $21K to SS and $4700 to Medicare, matched by my employers. That's with taking time out to have two kids, three years when I worked for a pubic health agency that did not, at the time, contribute to SS, and working part-time only since 1985.

I"m not giving it up for you, bub. You're way too rude. My parents never complained about my generation, nor have my kids, both Millennials. It's not them, pal, it's you.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Knock it off. One more insult and you're going on ignore.

If you'd quit watching FOX News, you wouldn't be so convinced that SS is not going to be around for you. Here you are, expecting a whole cohort of people, 15 years worth, to forgoe all their contributions so you can retire at your beach-side villa, calling my generation self-centered.

To date, I have paid in $21K to SS and $4700 to Medicare, matched by my employers. That's with taking time out to have two kids, three years when I worked for a pubic health agency that did not, at the time, contribute to SS, and working part-time only since 1985.

I"m not giving it up for you, bub. You're way too rude. My parents never complained about my generation, nor have my kids, both Millennials. It's not them, pal, it's you.
I vote Democrat most of the time. I'm certainly not a "Fox news" guy. It's silly to threaten to ignore someone. Just do it. I don't care. Why would I?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Dear Millenial Generation,
I am so, so very sorry to read of your challenge. The thought that you might have to solve a problem or two in your vacuous lives has brought me nearly to tears.

We had hoped that the materialism and moral freedoms you enjoy -- which we grew up without by comparison -- would simply transport you through your lives in a near-comatose state of bliss as your fingers danced across keyboards and screens -- and each others' bodies -- with nary a concern for repercussions -- dialing up the levels of virtual and real titillation to heights of orgasmic pleasure over an extended lifetime of near-eternal, plasticized youth, lived in homes of every kind of convenience and artificial atmosphere, and driven around in vehicles that tell you where to go and what to avoid while listening to symphonic hall acoustics and watching the latest Hollywood offerings on video in the passenger seats.

My heart goes out to you. Unlike any other generation has over the course of time, you will have to rise to meet work left undone by those who paved the ways and brought you to this miserable existence you live.

with deep, deep sincerity,
Boomer

Old 05-27-2012, 01:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YES we stole from all future generations- Baby boomers were and are a generation of vampires...we took every last drop of joy- fun - money - freedom....and left you with nothing
...at least you can admit it.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
What would you rather have? 50 years of living to look forward too- or to be old and on your way out with a huge bank account? In the end there are no winners...the richest man will be rendered to poverty...and lay on his death bed in his own pee...........................so-------------------------* What are the young complaining about? YOU have a future- I have none............well- maybe a limited one time wise...I would rather be poor and young than rich and old.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What would you rather have? 50 years of living to look forward too- or to be old and on your way out with a huge bank account? In the end there are no winners...the richest man will be rendered to poverty...and lay on his death bed in his own pee...........................so-------------------------* What are the young complaining about? YOU have a future- I have none............well- maybe a limited one time wise...I would rather be poor and young than rich and old.
You'll change your tune when you get to be 40. You'd rather be old and rich vs young and poor. I guarantee it!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
...at least you can admit it.
Honestly speaking...It was my fault that I did not finish my education and go into politics and business...What happened when smart fellows like myself did not take on the responsibility of running the show-----------So those with less ability and scruples took over and ruined the world------------In the mean time jerks like myself tried to be rock stars....had lots of fun and sex- drank took drugs...traveled---had all sorts of earthly fun...some of my generation were like vampires sucking the life out of the world...when we should have been taking care of it..........I did not have any money- but I had millions of dollars of other peoples money....That I indirectly tossed out the window.

I should have been a lawyer not a self indulgent artist and pleasure seeker....So it was NOT the successful boomers that wrecked the world- It was the ones that avoided success..the ones like myself that were the true thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies