Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I wasn't putting down your daughter's work. I think you have the wrong perception of me. I was just implying that I thought meat packing was a much harder profession. It's all physical labor. It's cold. You lift a lot. And you work in or around blood all day.

That's what I meant by that. Not that I didn't value your daughters work. I'm an advocate for anybody that makes an honest living. I just feel that some jobs require more than others.
I know most people do not value child care. They want "au pair" service for minimum wage. No one who has not done child care knows how difficult it is. Not only do you have to take care of a bunch of kids, keep your patience all day long, deal with all the other work stuff, you have to deal with the parents at the end of the day. Plus, you get thrown up on, exposed to many diseases, some of which you catch, and then you have people making light of it. If you don't think child care is physical labor, you have another think coming!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can sell your labor or service today. H***, my daughter sold her babysitting services one summer by putting up flyers on the street light poles in our neighborhood. She made a lot of money. However, I recall what you think of that type of work.

A friend of mine started selling her pet-sitting services, but she has another part-time job, too.
And I hope every penny was reported on their taxes.. We need businesses that employ a lot of people. That's what I was referring to. Chrysler employed close to 51,623 employees in 2010. Manufacturing was stronger in the Boomer years. Facebook currently employs roughly 2,000 (from around the world). So how to fix it?

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...098/d1012g.htm - Chrysler
http://techblog.weblineindia.com/new...loyees-by-2017 -Facebook

Last edited by Free-R; 05-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Added Links

Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
And I hope every penny was reported on their taxes.. We need businesses that employ a lot of people. That's what I was referring to. Chrysler employed close to 51,623 employees in 2010. Manufacturing was stronger in the Boomer years. Facebook currently employs roughly 2,000 (from around the world). So how to fix it?

Form 10 - Chrysler
Facebook will be Hiring Number of Employees By 2017 -Facebook
My daughter did. I don't know anyone else's tax business. We have plenty of RWs on this forum bragging about not paying taxes.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wonder if there'll be another baby boom. My generation seem conservative actually. I know so many people marrying, settling down, buying a house and starting a family!
I've wondered that myself. The times are changing. Seems like more young people are not having children. Instead, they adopt a pet from the shelter and spoil them silly.

One thing is sure, though. Coming soon, an increase in the number of deaths in the U.S. as the Boomers start to die off. Oh! Did I just say that???

Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We are in a recession. There's no arguing that. I don't know if there's a poster on here who'd agree with you that we're not in a recession.
Sorry, but I'd suggest you open up a marcroeconomics textbook. When you do you will find that the United States is not in a recession. A recession is defined in economics as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth.

Recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In a 1975 New York Times article, economic statistician Julius Shiskin suggested several rules of thumb for defining a recession, one of which was "two down consecutive quarters of GDP".[3] In time, the other rules of thumb were forgotten. Some economists prefer a definition of a 1.5% rise in unemployment within 12 months.[4]

In the United States, the Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) is generally seen as the authority for dating US recessions. The NBER defines an economic recession as: "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales."[5] Almost universally, academics, economists, policy makers, and businesses defer to the determination by the NBER for the precise dating of a recession's onset and end.

In the UK recessions are generally defined as 2 successive quarters of negative growth (or 6 months).[6
What we have now is extremely slow economic growth due to weak consumer demand and slow wage growth of the middle class.

Despite what any politician tell you GDP growth in the United States probably isn't going to rise much above 3% for any time in the foreseeable future. Simply put, the factors needed to drive that type of economic growth simply do not exists in the United States at this point in time.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Sorry, but I'd suggest you open up a marcroeconomics textbook. When you do you will find that the United States is not in a recession. A recession is defined in economics as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth.

Recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What we have now is extremely slow economic growth due to weak consumer demand and slow wage growth of the middle class.

Despite what any politician tell you GDP growth in the United States probably isn't going to rise much above 3% for any time in the foreseeable future. Simply put, the factors needed to drive that type of economic growth simply do not exists in the United States at this point in time.
Already been debated and discussed in this thread. Go back and check out my response for an answer.

We're not in a recession. Funny. In actuality, its dangerous misinformation.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just kidding...my medicare is Canadian- got lots...but as most boomers with a brain will figure out- don't end up in a free hospital when you are old- A young nurse that I had a conversation with said this while holding a syringe of morphine...."This is what we use to get rid of old people" - no joke...so us boomers had better hide in a hole near the end...no one gets out alive..
I can think of many tougher ways to go than via morphine.........

Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM

270 posts, read 198,614 times
Quote:
...the United States is not in a recession. A recession is defined in economics as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. .
This is true and a lot of people sleep on this. But the real problem now is that only 63.7% of the population actually are participating in the labor force--the lowest since 1981.

Quote:

But why is this? You cannot deny that taxes and labor costs have contributed to this. As well as the housing collapse induced by easy mortgages.

Last edited by BougNeg1; 05-28-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM

It's funny. I hear a ton of Boomers whining on here. Talk about stereotypes.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM

I also haven't heard hardly any solutions from the Boomers in this thread. Mostly from the Millenials. Have heard from some very informed and compassionate Boomers though. It's going to be an interesting year economically. We'll see how much longer our economy can chug along with a spiraling debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies