Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd be very skeptical of blaming the price of beer on the feds. When all else fails, they are a convenient excuse.
I e-mailed them directly about their price structure and that was their response. I was told the customer service representative had contacted the legal team on the issue.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
The last war fought in the US was the Civil War. Yes, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was bombed at the start of the US entry to WW II, but the remainder of the war was fought in Europe, N. Africa, and the South Pacific.
Although it was never declared a war by Congress, it was dubbed the "War on Terror" and it was a direct hit on a major city, not just a military installation.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I never thrilled over the beatles... some of their songs were odd sounding .
Sometimes that was the point.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay.

We had it easier.

Now what?
Now lobby to supsend Social Security benefits for those born between 1945 and 1960 for the good of the country. It's about time you brats did something good for your country. That move would go a long way toward saving Social Security for future Americans.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Now lobby to supsend Social Security benefits for those born between 1945 and 1960 for the good of the country. It's about time you brats did something good for your country. That move would go a long way toward saving Social Security for future Americans.
So deny one group "for the good of another" ?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So deny one group "for the good of another" ?
Yeah, pretty much. It's called self sacrifice. It's something boomer parents knew all about and practiced so their kids could have good lives. I know, I know, it sounds OUTRAGEOUS to the typical boomer to imagine giving up a benefit so that their grandkids could have a good life, but believe it or not, that's a pretty human thing to do. It would be one way boomers could redeem themselves and not go down in history as America's worst generation.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Not sure to whom this is a response. There should have been more of what I have highlighted in blue. With that said, there are real structural issues in the job market, and it IS a real problem. As far as 16-hour days, companies are much smarter at how they allocate their labor. Also, companies need to spend more on litigation and on and on. But, of course we need, and MUST have, more regulation on those pesky corporations .

So I guess you missed the part about two and three jobs... those 16 hour days were at different jobs - or, ultimately - at my own business.

It's frustrating. I never fell for any of it but so many did and they are also my fellow citizens. We need to make the words "sacrifice" and "responsibility" cool again. But that seems like a foreign language.
Those words will never be cool again - it's all about what everyone "owes" everyone else.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. It's called self sacrifice. It's something boomer parents knew all about and practiced so their kids could have good lives. I know, I know, it sounds OUTRAGEOUS to the typical boomer to imagine giving up a benefit so that their grandkids could have a good life, but believe it or not, that's a pretty human thing to do. It would be one way boomers could redeem themselves and not go down in history as America's worst generation.
Excuse me? We paid our parents' retirement. Some of them didn't even pay into SS their entire working lives, e.g. my father and father-in-law, who were both working before the passage of SS. My father-in-law lived 32 years after his retirement. He used to joke that he thought he'd gotten his money out. He knew.

I don't know why you think we're "America's worst generation". I don't think we are any worse (or better) than any other.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? We paid our parents' retirement. Some of them didn't even pay into SS their entire working lives, e.g. my father and father-in-law, who were both working before the passage of SS. My father-in-law lived 32 years after his retirement. He used to joke that he thought he'd gotten his money out. He knew.

I don't know why you think we're "America's worst generation". I don't think we are any worse (or better) than any other.
This is the kind of response I expected from a Boomer... excuse me?? Deny myself anything?? Surely you jest! Your parents made a lot of sacrifices so that you had the life you had. Those opportunities didn't grow on trees. There's a reason why we're in the s*****, and that reason is the shortsighted, selfish, screw-my-kids-so-long-as-I get-mine boomer mindsight.

Don't worry boom. I will pick up your slack. This nation isn't going to fall. Not on my watch. Go ahead and continue to be the drain you always have been. My generation will work around you. Don't be surprised when long after you're gone you're commerrated in the history book with words along the lines of: Thanks for nothing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-27-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
This is the kind of response I expected from a Boomer... excuse me?? Deny myself anything?? Surely you jest! Your parents made a lot of sacrifices so that you had the life you had. Those opportunities didn't grow on trees. There's a reason why we're in the s*****, and that reason is the shortsighted, selfish, screw-my-kids-so-long-as-I get-mine boomer mindsight.

Don't worry boom. I will pick up your slack. This nation isn't going to fall. Not on my watch. Go ahead and continue to be the drain you always have been. My generation will work around you. Don't be surprised when long after you're gone you're commerrated in the history book with words along the lines of: Thanks for nothing.
WTH? Since SS was enacted, every generation has paid for the previous one's retirement. What a cockamamie idea, that people in a 15 year span should just up and give up their SS for, what, exactly? And how would this help our kids? They'd have to help support us, like in the old days before SS. You may not be aware of this, in your arrogance, but YOUR parents made some sacrifices for you, too.

I can't believe you're serious about this!

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-27-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies