Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Was looking for something else, and came across this article. It only addresses current day issues, but it's still good.

Boomers and Millennials: Who's Got It Worse in the Workplace? - Businessweek
Saw this before signing off for the night. Great article Katiana. Hit the nail on the head as far as who has it worse. I love that the author says the problems are different but both severe. What's really interesting is, if you scroll to the bottom and read the comments left by others, the first one is much like the OP did when he created this thread. The problems today are the Boomers' fault. Guess there will never be a meeting of the minds because you have to walk in someone else's shoes to fully understand. Thanks for posting that, though. Good one!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 AM

230 posts, read 526,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Not really though. The oldest cohorts of Generation X were teenagers in the 1970s and came of age as young adults into an early 80s recession--or ended up in the aftermath of the 1987 Wall Street slide and the early 90s recession. While the younger cuspers like myself(born in 1979), graduated college in the aftermath of the early 2000s dot-com crash and 9/11 only to end up in a booming 2000s before the real estate bubble crashed right after my friends starting buying their first homes. The mid to late 90s were a booming time as were parts of the 80s, but in general it's been a serious of boom-bust cycles. Not complaining or blaming or making excuses for anyone, just saying that it's been a mixed period. The late 80s/early 90s were hardly seen as any sort of golden age at the time--there was a lot of debate over where the country was going that was alleviated by the economic growth at the end of the decade.

But going back Generation X had the highest rates of divorced parents and the highest crime rates while growing up in the 70s and 80s into the 90s. Teenagers were looked at a something to be feared when I was a kid and the Boomer parental-style coddling the Millennial Generation didn't start until the kids born in the 1980s were growing up. The Millenial Generation was an echo boom of the Boomers themselves--and is closer to them in feelings of self-importance.

It was really Generation X that was buying overpriced real estate at the height of the bubble in the middle part of the last decade, only to lose their heads--or lose their jobs at the height of what should be their prime earning years in their 30s and 40s. But just like the Silent Generation(those born between the World War II GI Generation or Greatest Generation and the Baby Boomers), Generation X is sort of a sandwich generation, not really remembered with all the hype about the Millennial Generation and the aging Boomers. For the most part, it's Generation Xers that are getting by trying to do the majority of the work these days and raise and support families.

The majority of the Millennials have years before they're in their 30s and really having to worry about much of this. It's always hard when coming of age during a recession to find work, so don't expect much sympathy---it's not as if the Millennial are the first generation to face this. They're just a generation that is able to speak out via social media and thus has much more of a voice at a younger age.
Ok, I see your point. Perhaps Gen X did have it hard in terms of recessions, crime rates, and divorced rates. I still think they were far luckier than my generation (Gen Y/Millennials), in terms of pop culture. Most Gen Xers were either of age or coming of age when american pop culture was at it's best, in the 80's and 90's. I was a baby in the 80's, so I don't remember hardly any of the 80's. And I was a kid in the 90's, and loved it, but since I was a kid, I took the era for granted and it ended too fast. And they also grew up watching the change of america during the 60's and 70's.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YES we stole from all future generations- Baby boomers were and are a generation of vampires...we took every last drop of joy- fun - money - freedom....and left you with nothing...so what are you gonna do about it punk?
Soylent Green.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 AM

744 posts, read 812,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Soylent Green.
x2, I wonder what baby boomers taste like

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times
That's where we're headed.

In all seriousness, baby boomers have it better because their generous benefits and retirements are going to be at the expense of my benefits and retirement.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
x2, I wonder what baby boomers taste like
Avoid the 'Nam vets. Too much Agent Orange residue.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

In all seriousness, baby boomers have it better because their generous benefits and retirements are going to be at the expense of my benefits and retirement.
You don't pay into the system for your own retirement benefits.
It doesn't work that way. You pay for the generation before you.
The generation after you will be paying for your retirement.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't pay into the system for your own retirement benefits.
It doesn't work that way. You pay for the generation before you.
The generation after you will be paying for your retirement.
And complaining about how they had it easy

Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Ok, I see your point. Perhaps Gen X did have it hard in terms of recessions, crime rates, and divorced rates. I still think they were far luckier than my generation (Gen Y/Millennials), in terms of pop culture. Most Gen Xers were either of age or coming of age when american pop culture was at it's best, in the 80's and 90's. I was a baby in the 80's, so I don't remember hardly any of the 80's. And I was a kid in the 90's, and loved it, but since I was a kid, I took the era for granted and it ended too fast. And they also grew up watching the change of america during the 60's and 70's.
Your not gonna miss out on a great era of pop culture. We're just facing a lull right now. Just going off of my opinion, and I've catologued music for the past 4 years, I've heard the best music of my lifce in the past 10-12 months. The funny thing is that the corporation killed our pop culture. It seems that they're going after our freedoms next.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

You can be posting "in all seriousness". What "generous benefits"? What "generous retirement"? The retirement was addressed upthread; we're not getting pensions; the 401K was introduced during OUR careers.

Cry me a river!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies