Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm guessing that means 42% of people don't think homosexuality should be accepted in society. In my view, that's a long way away from accepting homosexuality.
No, it specifically said that 33% believe homosexuality should be discouraged, and 8% said they "don't know."

Sure, that's still 1/3 who don't like it, but you're trying to say that a majority of Americans don't accept it, and that's just not accurate.

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
This amendment is truly disgusting. I didn't think I could have any less respect for religious conservatives. I was proven wrong today. Truly evil people.
Are black democrat churches spared from your rod?

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Aside from the fact that your cat is not a consenting human being therefore the situation you mention cannot be related to same sex marriage or incestuous (I think I used the right word there) marriage...............

I won't be going to the ceremony, but yes, I would support your right to marry your cat.
But don't you see - there are already limits on who can marry. You need to be a human being, have attained a certain age, cannot be married to more than one person, and need to be mentally able to make a free committment, also you generally can't marry certain family members.. The idea that requiring the couple consist of members of the opposite sex is not unique - it is actually fundamental to the definition of marriage. If this is changed by a law then marriage no longer has any meaning and a 4 year old boy could possibly be simultaneously married to a cat and his 80 year old grandfather.

2,441 posts, read 7,011,793 times
Quote:
[/b]

You do not have the right to legislate your morality onto others. Mind your own business.
Uh, yes I do. That's exactly what you're trying to do to me. Your morals lead you to believe that we should all be okay with gays getting married. I disagree. So do the people of the state of North Carolina. The people have spoken. You can't do anything to change it. So it's probably best to mind your own business and stop creating assumptions about the people who voted.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
This is life, so how about let's not pretend. Two people in a relationship will have sex and some will bear offspring. The offspring will have an extremely likely chance of being retarded. Should we risk this just to allow people who love each other to get married? Is it fair to the children they produce who can't function in normal society to be forced to live day-to-day life because we've allowed this. No. There is a reason that these children come out like they do. It's because these unions aren't natural at all.

I clearly stated that most people respect marriage. Kim Kardashian and Britney Spears are just a bunch of publicity slores who will do anything for a check and a camera following them around.
Not everyone conceives children after a sex act. There are infertile heterosexual couples who can't and don't want to have children.

Not all children born from incest have severe disabilities. Inbreeding only enhances undesirable, recessive traits. Healthy siblings w/ no troublesome recessive traits would produce healthy offspring. To give an example, every single purebred animal, from Golden Retrievers to Siamese cats to Shetland ponies were produced and enhanced through inbreeding.

And, going along w/ your post, should straight couples w/ genes for genetic disorders/abnormalities like dwarfism and hemophilia not be allowed to get married b/c any children they produce will have physical and mental disabilities?

So, ONCE AGAIN, if an infertile brother and sister in love wanted to marry, how does that affect you or anyone else?

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post

I clearly stated that most people respect marriage. Kim Kardashian and Britney Spears are just a bunch of publicity slores who will do anything for a check and a camera following them around.
50% of marriages end in divorce, especially among Christians. I've heard as high as 70% of spouses will commit adultery.

Don't insult our intelligence by claiming most people respect marriage. Marriage is a joke in this country. Heterosexuals have destroyed marriage, not gays.

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, it specifically said that 33% believe homosexuality should be discouraged, and 8% said they "don't know."

Sure, that's still 1/3 who don't like it, but you're trying to say that a majority of Americans don't accept it, and that's just not accurate.
I never said "majority." I said America is a "long way" from accepting. There's a difference.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
the voters decided!
The bigots decided.

We should never allow the majority to vote for the rights of the minority.

700 posts, read 638,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Can't say that i've ever heard that particular line of reasoning from any Christian i've ever met.
You haven't sat through the religious services I had to endure throughout my childhood nor listened to my parent's friends in the religious circus. This is a very popular line of reasoning in the christian world.

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:
What? Your an idiot. Go roll a burrito.
And a racist too.... wow, you are batting 1000% Mr tolerant....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies