Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support same sex civil unions?
I am against gay marriage but would support civil unions for gay couples 12 20.34%
I support gay marriage, but would get behind civil unions as a compromise 32 54.24%
I do not believe gay couples deserve any legal recognition as a union at all 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

If you are opposed to Gay Marriage would you support same sex civil unions in your state. The most controversial part of the issue that gets many people opposed to same sex marriage is in their viewpoint it changes the definition of marriage, and that traditionally it should remain between a man and woman. Fair enough in a meet me halfway sense would you support gay couples having civil rights such as hospital visitation, designation in wills, and so forth? Or do you support any type of legal recognition and union between gay couple or do you feel they don't deserve any civil rights at all?

One thing that should clarified is many believe North Carolina outlawed gay marriage itself yesterday. This was already enacted. This law took it further and denies gay couples from having any legal rights or civil unions.

For an example lets use New Jersey - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recogni..._in_New_Jersey

Discuss....

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-09-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
I need a "I support gay marriage and believe separate is not equal by offering a civil union option" option.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
I need a "I support gay marriage and believe separate is not equal by offering a civil union option" option.
Fair enough, can't modify the poll on CD as you know but I'm trying to pick the brains of people who don't support same sex marriage believe and how willing they are to compromise and meet in the middle. Especially since 61% of North Carolinian voters decided gays should not have civil unions either, I think this needs discussion as all the gay marriage threads today are going in the usual circles that we've all heard before from all those angles. Lets discuss civil unions and please try to leave Obama out of this and stay close to the topic at hand. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
I hope you get some responses. I'm interested in reading them as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
The only way I'd support civil unions is if the gov't stopped recognizing the religious ceremony of marriage all together, and only recognized civil unions for everyone.

Government recognizing marriage makes as much sense as the states giving out drivers licenses for your bar mitzvah.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
I oppose gay marriage - and do not oppose civil unions.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
If you are opposed to Gay Marriage would you support same sex civil unions in your state. The most controversial part of the issue that gets many people opposed to same sex marriage is in their viewpoint it changes the definition of marriage, and that traditionally it should remain between a man and woman. Fair enough in a meet me halfway sense would you support gay couples having civil rights such as hospital visitation, designation in wills, and so forth? Or do you support any type of legal recognition and union between gay couple or do you feel they don't deserve any civil rights at all?

One thing that should clarified is many believe North Carolina outlawed gay marriage itself yesterday. This was already enacted. This law took it further and denies gay couples from having any legal rights or civil unions.

For an example lets use New Jersey - Recognition of same-sex unions in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Discuss....

wish you would have had "other" on your poll choices, i dont like any of the choices

Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
wish you would have had "other" on your poll choices, i dont like any of the choices
So then elaborate on what you would like to see and how you would like to see marriage and/or unions defined.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I think all state recognized unions should be voided. All should be classified as civil unions, and all should have the same right to a civil union regardless of race, sex, and amount of participants.

Marriage is a religious ceremony, and as some religions don't follow that practice, and some do, and some don't believe in holy union at all, it should not be a state sponsored event.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
I do not understand what people opposed to gay rights are afraid ofdo they think a mob a gays and priests are going to jump them and trap them into a gay marriage or Civil union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies