Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,846,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
They could all be shape shifting lizard people given your prediction ability.

If you really had any you would be winning the lottery and living the high life
I've been living the 'High Life' every since I made my first million at the age of 45 and .. It didn't come from the lottery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 AM

24,058 posts, read 15,181,943 times
People who go to register their cars in Texas are given a voter registration form along with what they need to fill out to register the car. My British friend just filled out the papers. She was stunned when I told her she was on the county list of registered voters. The counties and states need to get this resolved.

She has never attempted to vote.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 AM

27,221 posts, read 46,854,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Probably all of them .. Democrats!

Anyone giving 'odds'?

News From AP | TBO.com
We all need to show a drivers license to pay with a credit card in most stores and to set up your utility account so why not for voting...

Anybody against that to me is having an issue with telling the truth, because what is bad about showing who you are.

We even require to make a copy of the drivers license or any other photo ID when a person turns in a rental application...we want to know that the person filling out the form is the real person...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 AM

37,816 posts, read 41,116,416 times
When I moved to TN from MD, I changed my address at the Post Office, I filed a final state tax return, I had my utilities shut off, I turned in my cable box and I turned in my license plates to Motor Vehicle after registering the car in TN. I registered to vote in Tennessee at the same time.

Does anyone know, when you leave your state/move out of state, are you required to notify someone/anyone in the state you are leaving that you are no longer eligible to vote there or does something trigger getting you canceled from the voting lists? (I'm guessing different states do it differently.)

My assumption when I registered to vote in Tennessee was that one of the things I did in the first paragraph (Post Office, Motor Vehicle, Final Tax Return) triggers a notification to the State Board of Elections in my old state OR my registering in Tennessee makes TN issue a notification to my former state. But, I never even thought about directly canceling my voter registration in my former state. It just never occured to me to do that because I had no intention of ever voting there again. Canceling everything didn't stop them from contacting me at the old address for jury duty, either.

So, what's the mechanism for getting your voter registration canceled in the state you leave?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM

908 posts, read 1,122,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That was when about 51+% of our idiots voted for a man who was full of lies and promises and seemed to be running against Bush. Did you know that Bush wasn't running back then?

He wasn't...but his policies were. They don't end the day he abdicates. Once again, another person proving that some people can't grasp that the world existed before 2008. *sigh*

Old 05-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
People who go to register their cars in Texas are given a voter registration form along with what they need to fill out to register the car. My British friend just filled out the papers. She was stunned when I told her she was on the county list of registered voters. The counties and states need to get this resolved.

She has never attempted to vote.

Well, we know Texas is full of Democrat/Liberal/Communists so...

wait, it's not? So this issue is bi-partisan??? Hold up!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Once again, for some of you who don't realize it - there will always be pockets of voter corruption.

Viewing where we are from where we've been, we've made a whole **** ton of progress. Some people refuse to recognize that 100-150 years ago whole elections were completely rigged in this country. And I'm talking WHOLE - not your definition of 100 voters being "whole".

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,113,426 times
When the story changes from "may not be" to "are not" wake me up. Until then, this is mostly a snoozer filled with speculation.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,982,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We all need to show a drivers license to pay with a credit card in most stores and to set up your utility account so why not for voting...

Anybody against that to me is having an issue with telling the truth, because what is bad about showing who you are.

We even require to make a copy of the drivers license or any other photo ID when a person turns in a rental application...we want to know that the person filling out the form is the real person...
Really? I wish they would ask me for identification. Nobody ever does and I use by credit & debit cards all the time.

I don't have a problem with showing a legal ID when voting. However, this isn't an issue that a state should be raising only months before a Presidential election. That's why I keep asking "why now?" I mean, it's not as if this is a new problem.

In today's high-tech world, as long as there is only one person using a Soc Sec card and DOB, all the little stuff is petty. Actually, I don't know anyone who doesn't have either a DL or a state ID card.

I admit I was very surprised when I first learned that showing an ID has become an issue. Guess it's my own ignorance, but I've always shown my license and voter's registration card, even when I voted in MA and NH. Yet I read in the news that NH is now voting on requiring an ID to vote. So it's puzzling to me.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,405,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Visit LA some time. For all practical purposes it is Mexico City's largest suburb.
Miami makes L.A. look like a WASP refugee camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies