Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,359,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there a chance that some of those votes in 2000 in that area of Florida came from people like this? Just wondering if there is a chance that all that noise back then could have been senseless because too many non-citizens had voted for old Algore.

That number is large enough to swing an election especially the next one that I will believe is happening when they hand me my ballot.
Miami Hispanics are more red than blue. Don't think Gore got many of their votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,295,324 times
I'm shocked.............shocked I tell ya..........

Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Whoops! Don't let that fact out of the bag!

For many of the idio...I mean persons on this forum and in the US, all of their problems started in 2008.
That was when about 51+% of our idiots voted for a man who was full of lies and promises and seemed to be running against Bush. Did you know that Bush wasn't running back then?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Miami Hispanics are more red than blue. Don't think Gore got many of their votes.
It was Gore votes that didn't get counted because of hanging chads and all that other stuff wasn't it?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,012,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Probably all of them .. Democrats!
So this is suddenly a big news story when Obama is running for a second term and has a good chance of winning? You mean the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the United States all sneaked across the border after January 2009?

Read your own quote again and some of the comments. They're laughable. They found about 2,600 people who are in Florida legally

How does this make them illegals?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida officials are now saying that nearly 200,000 registered voters may not be U.S. citizens.

Earlier in the week, state election officials announced they had identified more than 2,600 people who are in Florida legally but ineligible to vote.

State officials, however, note that some of those on list may have become citizens after first getting their driver's licenses. Still, the decision to screen the voter rolls for non-citizens could result in tens of thousands voters being dropped in the middle of a critical election year.

This is just a scare tactic and voter suppression. I was born & raised in the United States. I have a driver's license and a voter's registration card. One year I was told I couldn't vote because the address on my license didn't match my voter's registration card. However, I had already cleared this through the Lee County Supervisor of Elections months earlier. Maybe I'm even one of those people on the list. Anyway, I refused to leave until I was able to cast my vote.

What do they mean by "critical election year?" I guess other election years aren't important?

Last edited by justNancy; 05-12-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM

79,160 posts, read 61,286,910 times
Quote:
They are actually moderates and the reason Bush beat Gore was Elian Gonzalez and a belief that Bush would be tough on Cuba.

The election vs. Kerry.....Bush got wayyyy fewer votes as the cuban community was not happy with him being low key on Cuba issues.

Hard to believe but the Elian Gonzalez incident was the reason Gore lost the presidential election.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 PM

I've lived in Florida for a long time. I used to have family in Palm Beach County and there's no doubt in my mind that Gore won the election. There are people I know personally who mistakenly voted for Pat Buchanan. This is a snapshot from 2000 of what the ballot looked like.

[url=http://jerz.setonhill.edu/design/usability/use-ballot.htm]Election 2000 Ballot Design: Why Usability Testing Matters[/url]

"Questions began to surface after Buchanan received 3,407 votes in this heavily Democratic district -- far more votes than he (a conservative former Republican) had received in some far less liberal districts. Since Florida's initial tally showed Bush winning Florida by only about 1,700 votes, it makes sense for the Democrats to investigate this anomaly. "

In the end, the difference was only 537 (not 1,700) but 19,000 votes were invalidated in an area that was mostly Democrats. Buchanan was not expected to even be on that ballot, so many people just punched the 2nd hole. People joked about the "seniors" being out of touch or too senile to vote, but my Dad was sharp as a tack. He was a WWII veteran and was always active in politics. He told me many people that day were upset at the polls because they realized right away they made a mistake.

"The Associated Press quoted voter Eileen Klasfeld as saying, "It was so hard to tell who and what you were voting for. I couldn't figure it out, and I have a doctorate."

In addition to the 19,000 votes in Palm Beach County that were invalidated, another 180,000 were rejected because of "technical errors" and an investigation later found that about 1/2 of those votes were cast by Blacks.

So it is 2012 and we still have a Republican Governor and a Republican Legislature, Florida has 29 electoral votes and it's deja vu all over again!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yup! In 2000 most of the Hispanic vote in Florida was Republican.

"For Republicans, it used to be a sure thing: Come to Florida. Collect the Hispanic vote. Move on.

That's because the Hispanic vote used to mean, for the most part, the Cuban-American vote. Not anymore."

[URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/latino-vote-florida-primary_n_1217737.html#s326063&title=Mexico_"]Source[/URL]

Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,139,952 times
To renew my FL driver license, I had to produce my birth certificate, SS card and a current utility bill showing that I lived at the address. No such requirements needed to register to vote. What is more important- voting or driving?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,359,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They are actually moderates and the reason Bush beat Gore was Elian Gonzalez and a belief that Bush would be tough on Cuba.

The election vs. Kerry.....Bush got wayyyy fewer votes as the cuban community was not happy with him being low key on Cuba issues.

Hard to believe but the Elian Gonzalez incident was the reason Gore lost the presidential election.
This quote is from a 2007 article in the Tampa Bay Times:
Quote:
For decades, Miami Cubans were considered die-hard Republicans. Former President Ronald Reagan famously cemented that bond in May 1983 when he visited Miami's Little Havana neighborhood, downed a Cuban coffee at a popular restaurant, and gave an impassioned anti-communist speech at the Miami-Dade County Auditorium.

Among Hispanics in Miami-Dade, Republicans still outnumber Democrats 251,929 to 132,432 123,985 are not affiliated with either party. But almost 25 years after Reagan's speech, the Republican Party's once seemingly unbreakable grip on the Cuban exile community may be loosening.State: GOP losing its grip on Miami's Cuban-Americans
Miami's Cubans would have voted Republican in 2000 even if the Elian debacle had never happened.

All of my Cuban-American neighbors are still Republicans. No way are they moderates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies