Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Difference is the ventures into shale exploration are not funded by taxpayer dollars. Nat gas won't be here for long after the EPA and Sierra Club get done.
I cry bull on that one. Tax payers subsidize all oil operations, its why Exxon paid no income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Maybe if you would read the link you could provide a point. You jump up and down when you didn't even realize this was testimony by the GAO YESTERDAY. Probably so Obama could promise to get er fired up right after he's re elected though. LOL

Now back to your whining.
Seriously dude, you come off as unreasonable and irrational on this forum.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I cry bull on that one. Tax payers subsidize all oil operations, its why Exxon paid no income tax.
Exxon paid the us government 7.6 billion in taxes in '09. Sure they based themselves offshore like the rest to avoid the highest corporate tax rate of any industrialized country in the world. Do you use any tax loopholes, or subsidies, or your returns? Being holier than thou I take it you deduct nothing.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Seriously dude, you come off as unreasonable and irrational on this forum.
Good if that is how I "come off" to you then I must be making sense.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Exxon paid the us government 7.6 billion in taxes in '09. Sure they based themselves offshore like the rest to avoid the highest corporate tax rate of any industrialized country in the world. Do you use any tax loopholes, or subsidies, or your returns? Being holier than thou I take it you deduct nothing.
Not income tax though. Most companies pay the same taxes plus income tax.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Good if that is how I "come off" to you then I must be making sense.
Just trying to help.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
No, it wouldn't.

Oil shale and sand development depends on the high price of oil. If it dropped to "so low, that transportation costs would probably drop dramatically", then oil sands and oil shale wouldn't be worth the money put into it.

Its viability is all based on crude being 100 dollars a barrel or higher.
Not even close. just like the price of natural gas fell as they discovered more, the same will be true with crude. As they pump out more, the cost goes down substantially, especially in these volumes. I'm not sure where you are getting your $100 a barrel figure, other than out of ur butt.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not even close. just like the price of natural gas fell as they discovered more, the same will be true with crude. As they pump out more, the cost goes down substantially, especially in these volumes. I'm not sure where you are getting your $100 a barrel figure, other than out of ur butt.
Natural has is easy to obtain, so supply decreases demand.

The price of oil shale isn't in the supply, its in the production.

MASSIVE costs involved in production, which is why its price dependent to make it viable.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Natural has is easy to obtain, so supply decreases demand.

The price of oil shale isn't in the supply, its in the production.

MASSIVE costs involved in production, which is why its price dependent to make it viable.
No, setup costs are tremendous, but once those costs have been spent, then the cost to break even drops substantially.

its like buying a new car.. Once you've made the expense, the cost is over.

per wikipedia, the cost could be as low as $25, which is so far away from your $100 figure, that its laughable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_economics

Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, setup costs are tremendous, but once those costs have been spent, then the cost to break even drops substantially.

its like buying a new car.. Once you've made the expense, the cost is over.
No, the PROCESSING costs are tremendous. Not just the set up costs.

It takes a ton of energy to heat the sands, to seperate the oil, then you have to process it more, then you can refine it.

Its price margins will never drop, its all market dependent.

Go read a book about it, I have.

And as I said, I'm not opposed to oil sands. But there are plenty of other energy sources that are far less impactful to the environment, far less impactful to the atmosphere, they are cheaper, and we have more of it.

Mainly natural gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies