Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Amtrak already serves 30 million passengers a year. The TSA does not operate on Amtrak like it does on the airlines. The security measures on Amtrak aren't nearly as bad as they are on the airlines.

Have you ever heard of anyone hijacking a train? I haven't. Hijackings always happen on airplanes. Airplanes are much easier to hijack which is why they are always targeted. Trains are very long and have a lot of separate cars. Its very hard for terrorists to control all the cars and passengers on the train. But an airplane is much smaller so easier take control of the people on it because the passengers are all in one compartment, not spread out across many cars like on a train. In case of emergency or hijacking, its relatively easy to stop a train and get off of it because its already on the ground. When that happens the hijackers are screwed because then they have lost control. But when you are 20,000 feet in the air you are trapped. There is no way to get out, so you are at the mercy of the hijackers at all times.
This is flat out wrong. A train would be one of the easiest forms of transport for a terrorist to attack. There are no metal detectors. There is no scan of baggage, carried or stored in the hold. I stood at the station in Boston to catch the Acela to NYC. No sign of security at all. It was terrific. But it seems to me only a matter of time before a significant event occurs. It can only be because the terrorists find planes more glamorous.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This is flat out wrong. A train would be one of the easiest forms of transport for a terrorist to attack. There are no metal detectors. There is no scan of baggage, carried or stored in the hold. I stood at the station in Boston to catch the Acela to NYC. No sign of security at all. It was terrific. But it seems to me only a matter of time before a significant event occurs. It can only be because the terrorists find planes more glamorous.
So why doesn't it happen?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 PM

664 posts, read 773,401 times
Terrorists don't need to highjack something to terrorize this country. How do you plan to protect the thousands of miles of train track for these high speed trains? Place an abandoned car on the tracks, boom, instant terrorizing. Derailed train.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Aviation and flying is my lifeblood......indeed i'm a certificated pilot as well.....and I support high speed rail. I firmly believe the two modes can co-exist and compliment each other through a network of intermodal transportation hubs nationwide.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...maginable.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies