Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Ummm Peace Brian, let's compare numbers. Hitler killed roughly 12 million people, half of those Jews. Israel kills roughly 20-30 Palestinians each year. Could you please explain the equivalency you were referring to?

Could it be that you are purposely skewing the facts to support your anti-semitism?

I'm really shocked at the level of Jew hatred on this site. But I guess that's what you get when you put a bunch of liberals on an anonymous web board... Are there any liberals here who are willing to speak out in support of the Jews? Your silence gives you away.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Hitler created a ghetto where 1000's of Jews weren't given food. Hitler created camps where millions of Jews lived off of the garbage the german soldiers threw out and the guard dogs wouldn't eat. So where are the starving Palestinians in Gaza, Samaria & Judea? Where are the starving Arabs who live within the border of Israel? The only ones not get getting food are the ones who declared a hunger strike and thus have done it to themselves (all 70 of them).
I've written the following with the hopes that some more light can be shed on what is really a very simple issue, clouded by the noise of special interest groups.

No unilateral support

I'm all for supporting people. As a believer in Christ, I believe in my heart that we human beings are called to walk in Love. And Love is manifest in actions, not just words.

Actions are a natural outcome of Love. Taking a person into one's own home for shelter and healing; giving a hot meal to someone who is without; even supporting a person financially when their own finances are lacking. These are just a few examples of expressing Love, which is the foundation of Christianity, as I see it. Christ loved us, and left us an example, that we should love our neighbor in the same way that He loved us.

Now, many Americans say we should support Israel. Some say that we should do it because divine plan has it that Israel (the state) should exist, and that in order for the end of the world to happen, it must exist, and even go to war with its neighbors. (Why a God who requires us to Love, would require bloodshed in order for the world to end, I have never been told.)

Other people say that we should support Israel because the Jews need a homeland where they can feel safe from persecution. (A homeland does not guarantee that persecution will not happen, even if one has a "homeland." What's more, it baffles me that God is somehow requiring other people to financially support the creation of this state called Israel for His "chosen ones." Can't He do it Himself? Besides, I have never seen a Bible verse that tells me to give my money to build a state called Israel. But I digress..)

Well, supporting Jews I can understand. In fact, I am all for it. If I came across a Jewish person in need of a home, a meal, clothing, etc, I would hope to treat him just as I would any other person on the planet. My desire to help my neighbor comes from what I see of Christ in the Bible, and from what I feel of Christ in my heart. Being in a difficult situation is not easy, and as Christians, I believe our calling is to help our neighbor when he is in need.

So I would help a Jew in need. And, I would also help a Muslim in need. Yes, that's right. The message of Christ's love for the world doesn't exclude Muslims, as far as I have read. Jesus tells us to "love our neighbor as much as we love ourselves." If my neighbor happens to be Muslim, then he fits the category as a neighbor, and I am called to help him if he is in need. (And not just a neighbor who lives next door, but certainly anybody with whom I come into contact, is my neighbor.)

I have no problem helping a Jewish person in need. I think it is the job of every person. And the same goes for a Muslim, atheist, buddhist, or other.

The distinction I believe many people fail to make, is a very simple one: helping a Jewish person can be done without harming other people in order to do it. If a Jew needs a home, I am happy to help him make his home. However, if his request for a home requires me to tear down someone else's home, then we have a problem.

You see, helping people is good. But helping someone by hurting someone else is playing favorites.

What's more, people talk about the verse in the Old Testament where God says, "I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse those who curse you." They use this verse to claim that people are supposed to "bless" Jews in order to get blessed, and avoid cursing Jews if they don't want to get cursed."

The fact, though, is that this "blessing" Israel that is so often cheered, is not a blessing of word, or of deed. It is blessing by giving money. To "bless Israel" has been translated as "give your money to Israel." This is a very subtle yet important difference.

People say that Israel is a "rich" country, with lots of technology, prosperity and growth.

Well, if Israel is doing this good, I hardly think that God is expecting me to give my money to those who are rich! On the contrary, to "bless" Israel ought to be nothing other than spiritually encouraging and supporting Jewish people (not a territory in the middle east). This is what I believe it means to "bless Israel." But to give my money to a country that has nuclear warheads, and is one of the most powerful countries of the world, would be like giving my money to any other western society. What's more, Americans are always talking about not giving to the poor because it engenders dependency and laziness. But they have nothing against giving to the rich!!

The concept of "blessing Israel" always comes down to money. Even the now-popular "prosperity gospel" is none other than the message of "follow God, and He will make you rich." Funny thing, many of those who follow Him are not that rich at all! I suppose they have been fleeced of their life's earnings by those who tell them constantly that they must "bless Israel" with their money, which has more money than they could probably count!

So, am I an anti-semite? I doubt it. I am fully in agreement with helping the little guy. Jews were persecuted often in recent history, and people who are persecuted need the support of Christians, who should be walking in Love.

Persecution now, however, is not being experienced by Jews. On the contrary, the Palestinians are suffering great persecution at the hands of Israel as I write this. So in this case, I have to side with the Palestinians. If they are being persecuted, they should be helped.

Yet, as I said earlier, supporting Palestinians shouldn't be at the expense of the Jews. And this is the whole deal: that helping people who are really in need, is a Christian's duty. And this helping must be done without hurting others in order to do it.

That is what Jesus Christ's message is: to treat others the same way that we would want to be treated. And if I needed help, I certainly wouldn't want others to be hurt so that I might be helped.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
....the Palestinians are suffering great persecution at the hands of Israel as I write this......
Since I've driven through Ramallah and I also have a worksite there also, I can attest there is no persecution of Arabs there by Israelis. Now if you are talking about the bulldozing of the homes sitting near the Armistice line then there is a difference between land owners and squatters. Its the squatters who have no proof of land ownership who get their homes bulldozed. The issue gets worse when some of them date back to the 1949 Armitice line. Thus squatter homes have turned into squatter villages. Israel does not bulldoze these homes on the drop of a dime. They spend years trying to find the the lineage of the property and its ownership. If none is found then it becomes state owned. Now if you are talking about the checkpoints. Well when you have a few that try to cross with pipe bombs and suicide vests then the majority is going to feel the ramifications of it. In the United States we call them the TSA, Where millions must go through hours of checkpoints daily for the actions of about 30 people.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
Since I've driven through Ramallah and I also have a worksite there also, I can attest there is no persecution of Arabs there by Israelis. Now if you are talking about the bulldozing of the homes sitting near the Armistice line then there is a difference between land owners and squatters. Its the squatters who have no proof of land ownership who get their homes bulldozed. The issue gets worse when some of them date back to the 1949 Armitice line. Thus squatter homes have turned into squatter villages. Israel does not bulldoze these homes on the drop of a dime. They spend years trying to find the the lineage of the property and its ownership. If none is found then it becomes state owned. Now if you are talking about the checkpoints. Well when you have a few that try to cross with pipe bombs and suicide vests then the majority is going to feel the ramifications of it. In the United States we call them the TSA, Where millions must go through hours of checkpoints daily for the actions of about 30 people.
So my conclusion is, if Israel is having so many problems keeping their land, maybe they have to reconsider what they're doing.

Again: I'm all for a Jew having a home. As long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of their neighbors. And vice versa.

Unfortunately, what I keep hearing about is stuff like this:
Barak, Panetta to announce special U.S. military assistance to Israel - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

THIS ^^^ is the type of "support" that Christians ought not be giving. To anybody.

And maybe, just maybe, if Israel was more respectful of her neighbors, there wouldn't be so much anti-semitism. Aisi.

Helping a Jew in need? Ok. Helping a Jew to uproot other people's homes to make new ones? No.

Peace,
brian

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Now if you are talking about the bulldozing of the homes sitting near the Armistice line then there is a difference between land owners and squatters. Its the squatters who have no proof of land ownership who get their homes bulldozed. The issue gets worse when some of them date back to the 1949 Armitice line. Thus squatter homes have turned into squatter villages. Israel does not bulldoze these homes on the drop of a dime. They spend years trying to find the the lineage of the property and its ownership. If none is found then it becomes state owned. Now if you are talking about the checkpoints. Well when you have a few that try to cross with pipe bombs and suicide vests then the majority is going to feel the ramifications of it. In the United States we call them the TSA, Where millions must go through hours of checkpoints daily for the actions of about 30 people.
I'm confused, are you talking about Jewish developments (calling them "settlements" is just a wonderful piece of propaganda) in the occupied territories or are we talking about Palestinians living within the land granted to the Palestinians by UNR 242? The reason why I am asking is that you seem to be arguing against Jewish developments.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm confused, are you talking about Jewish developments (calling them "settlements" is just a wonderful piece of propaganda) in the occupied territories or are we talking about Palestinians living within the land granted to the Palestinians by UNR 242? The reason why I am asking is that you seem to be arguing against Jewish developments.
ovcatto, I assure you he has no idea - probably had to re-read your question 2 or 3 times before deciding not to answer. This is the problem with having a discussion on "Palestinian" rights with people like this. They have no grasp of the facts, but rather (and just re-read a few posts above to see what I mean), they have grand ideas about what is right vs. wrong, and they are applying these ideas to a case they know very little about, save for the hateful and misleading blogs and anti-simietic websites they read.

And then there's this beauty of a statement (wins the award for the most ridiculous thing I've read today):

Quote:
And maybe, just maybe, if Israel was more respectful of her neighbors, there wouldn't be so much anti-semitism
Wow, just wow. Israel is under constant barrage from rocket attacks from Hamas and the PLO. Hezbollah is poised to strike at any moment from the north border. Iran has sworn to use a nuclear weapon on Israel as soon as they have one that is functional. Iraq lobbed Scud missles by the dozen on Israel during the first Guld War. I could go on. And what does this poster complain about? How Israel isn't "respectful" to her Arab neighbors. Sheesh! Do you see what caliber poster we're dealing with here?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Ummm Peace Brian, let's compare numbers. Hitler killed roughly 12 million people, half of those Jews. Israel kills roughly 20-30 Palestinians each year. Could you please explain the equivalency you were referring to?

Could it be that you are purposely skewing the facts to support your anti-semitism?

I'm really shocked at the level of Jew hatred on this site. But I guess that's what you get when you put a bunch of liberals on an anonymous web board... Are there any liberals here who are willing to speak out in support of the Jews? Your silence gives you away.
What an ignorant stereotype you're spreading there. I'm about as liberal as the come and you haven't seen me bashing Jews in this thread or any other. I know a lot of liberals and I don't know a single one who'd fit your stereotype.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What an ignorant stereotype you're spreading there. I'm about as liberal as the come and you haven't seen me bashing Jews in this thread or any other. I know a lot of liberals and I don't know a single one who'd fit your stereotype.
I apoligize for not being more clear. Let me try again:

Obviously not all liberals are Jew haters. But nearly all Jew haters are liberals.

I've always wondered why this is the case?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Helping a Jew to uproot other people's homes to make new ones? No.
The money Israel gets from the US is related to the Egypt-Israel & Jordan-Israel Treaties. It adds up to 5% of their Military budget and has nothing to do with the construction related items in Israel nor the purchase of bulldozers.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Just when you thought THIS can't be true -

Iranian outlets have been claiming recently the United States has been forced to bow before Iran on its nuclear program, demonstrating the West’s abandonment of Israel and paving the way for the Islamic regime to annihilate its Jewish neighbors.

I can't wait for Iran to make the first move!! GO AHEAD - the bible predicts Iran will be the ONE that is destroyed!!

Look out! .. .. here come SOME of the Jaywalking Allstars!! (chuckle).. ..
I am sorry. I didn't look first to see who started the thread. TIME WASTED!:ee k:

Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,789,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
So my conclusion is, if Israel is having so many problems keeping their land, maybe they have to reconsider what they're doing.
Peace,
brian
Quote:
What's more, it baffles me that God is somehow requiring other people to financially support the creation of this state called Israel for His "chosen ones." Can't He do it Himself?
I will say it again peace Brian.. .. "You sound like a 14 year old.

Malachi 3:10 IS A COMMAND & a blessing from God - A promise

In case you haven't figured this out yet - God uses "people" to perform HIS work!

The troubles of Ishmael & Issac will not end; and the best part is; All of Israel shall be saved; I will build a city for them (Jerusalem)

120 times God says Jerusalem is for the JEWS!

Not once - ever - is it even mentioned in the Koran.

ISRAEL has ALL RIGHTS to defend herself!! CASE CLOSED!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies