Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The thing you people hate about fox news and conservative talk radio is that you liberals are just getting beaten to a pulp by the conservatives.
Loyal audience such as yourself, have just provided why the second technique is so effective:
2. Character Assassination/Ad Hominem. Fox does not like to waste time debating the idea. Instead, they prefer a quicker route to dispensing with their opponents: go after the person's credibility, motives, intelligence, character, or, if necessary, sanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I dont "hate" JS. i watch occasionally. He is funny. I dont consider him a "news source" like a lot of people do.
Well, your "love" for JS was visible in the very first post you recalled fond memories of him putting your favorite cast of characters in their place. And while you may have heard people associate "news" with Jon Stewart, in reality, you missed the point these people were making. But then, Fox News and its audience is pretty good at providing fodder for a smart/intelligent comedy show. Its not "news" when it is a practice being spelled out!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Life as a liberal just sucks so badly.
It's gonna suck even more for Cali residents.

-J "Moonbeam" Brown has already added 40% to our debt in his first year.
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: California Deficit Soars to $16 billion; Governor Brown Threatens Public Education Unless He Gets "Temporary" Tax hikes; How Brown Ruined California in His First Term; Four Point Solution

-He just fired Dr. Porter for appearing in a commercial which told the truth about the liberals new tobacco tax (Prop 29) that would be used for frivolous spending. She served on the SAPME for eight years.\
Jerry Brown Education | Many see influence of teachers union in Gov. Jerry Brown's shakeup of California Board of Education - Los Angeles Times

- On his first day in office he fired every school board member that was pro-trigger schools. He even tried to rehire a felon who had robbed the state when he was the head of state education. He and his wife swindled millions.
Jerry Brown Education | Many see influence of teachers union in Gov. Jerry Brown's shakeup of California Board of Education - Los Angeles Times

- He ran on how great prop 13 has been for the state and how Jarvis backed him the first time around. He promised he wouldn't touch it, and then reversed this position a couple months ago.

Jerry Brown and the ghost of Proposition 13 - latimes.com

He will force thousands to lose their homes because they can't afford his tax hikes. Sound familiar?

We have nearly 7M people on food stamps.

We have nearly 2m unemployed.

We have the largest welfare bill of any state.

The migration from California has been extreme. We've had to survive through three bogus governors all on the same bent. Davis, Arnold and Brown - the Three Stooges of Cali politics. You can't blame Fox for the way liberalism has driven Cali into the gutter. This state is the France of the USA, as it goes so will the rest go.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My favorite is "well if this is true then....." And other vague statements made by their opinion shows that are baseless, then followed as the gospel by viewers.

Cable news isn't news, its red meat to people who want their own uninformed opinions supported. Kind of like a parent saying their child is beautiful when everyone knows that's the ugliest baby they've ever seen. No one wants to hear the truth anymore.

The bigger the lie, the more likely people will believe it

Adolph Hitler
How about you get together a lie or two from Megyn Kelly on Fox News? Can you?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nobody can credit or discredit anything better than the audience itself.
And how many seconds each day are you part of the audience of Fox News? I will say that all you know from Fox News is what you hear from Media Matters, Stink Progress, HuffPo and maybe a bit from AlterNet now and then. How wrong am I?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And how many seconds each day are you part of the audience of Fox News? I will say that all you know from Fox News is what you hear from Media Matters, Stink Progress, HuffPo and maybe a bit from AlterNet now and then. How wrong am I?
I see your posts, threads started by you everyday, Roy. Is that not enough? But, if you must talk about my sources... know that I get "my news" from Jon Stewart. How often do you watch him?

ONLY if you can handle it (for a little over 2 minutes)... Lord of the Rings - The Right Side of History

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Jeeeez coming from someone that is a regular view and reader of Beck, The Blaze and the Godfather News you might want to sit this one out Roy

Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Brother Einstein please note all of the below, guarantee that the right to vote will not be infringed upon by the various elements discussed, not that you are allowed to vote for your representative or president.

14th Amendment (1868): Regarding apportionment of Representatives.

15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Here are some nice links that mostly discuss voting for president, BUT, not that if your state were to decide who to send to DC for your representative and/or senator, unless you are granted to right to vote by that state's constitution, there is NOTHING in the federal constitution giving you that right.

No constitutional right to vote for president -

There is NO constitutional right to vote for president - Democratic Underground

next -
Quote:
I have never had a problem voting. Don’t we already have a right to vote?
American adults living in states typically can vote, but they do not have a federally protected right to vote enshrined in the Constitution.
FairVote.org | Right to Vote Frequently Asked Questions

FindLaw's Writ - Dorf: We Need A Constitutional Right To Vote In Presidential Elections

Daily Kos: No Right to Vote for President

Quote:
Why We Don’t Have the Constitutional Right to Vote for President (or Presidential Electors):

The State Legislatures Have The Constitutional Right To Appoint Electors Who Inevitably Choose The PresidentThe Constitution sets up a system of electors (the term "Electoral College" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution), said set of state electors to be chosen "in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct" (Article II Section 1 of the Constitution). In fact, a legislature could take back the power to appoint electors as Bush v. Gore (Section IIB) reaffirmed.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Brother Einstein please note all of the below, guarantee that the right to vote will not be infringed upon by the various elements discussed, not that you are allowed to vote for your representative or president.

14th Amendment (1868): Regarding apportionment of Representatives.

15th Amendment (1870): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

19th Amendment (1920): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

24th Amendment (1964): "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

26th Amendment (1971): "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Here are some nice links that mostly discuss voting for president, BUT, not that if your state were to decide who to send to DC for your representative and/or senator, unless you are granted to right to vote by that state's constitution, there is NOTHING in the federal constitution giving you that right.

No constitutional right to vote for president -

There is NO constitutional right to vote for president - Democratic Underground

next -

FairVote.org | Right to Vote Frequently Asked Questions

FindLaw's Writ - Dorf: We Need A Constitutional Right To Vote In Presidential Elections

Daily Kos: No Right to Vote for President
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
- Albert Einstein.

So, you believe that government can prevent you from voting?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL.... you're serious? A news organization can lean right but it can't lean left?

Welcome to the 74%.

----edit------

FYI the image you posted is from Fox Nation which is conservative blogger/commentary site similar to Huffpo, it's not Fox news.
THEY certainly don't understand how the difference in Fox Nation and Fox News does exist. That tells me that they think that Media Matters and Think Prog are both news sites and not left leaning blogs. Only fools don't know that George Soros bought over a million dollars worth of the blog, HuffPo, and tried to turn it away from a news reporting blog into being a news reporter. They do see things strangely.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
- Albert Einstein.

So, you believe that government can prevent you from voting?
No, as I have said, Nothing in our Constitution Guarantees that you CAN vote, it only states why you cannot be denied. If your state decided tomorrow to direct it's electoral college to elect Romney, you have no say in the matter under federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.