Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Justin Barker was hit in the head from behind and knocked down, then he was stomped on by the entire Jena Six Predator crew, to the point where he was not only unconscious, but was blind in one eye for three weeks. Are you seriously trying to claim he wasn't innocent?

Mr. Barker had nothing to do with the nooses that were hung. He also had nothing to do with the guys that crashed the party at the Fair Barn, and Mr. Barker also had nothing to do with the guy that was chased down and robbed at the convenience store.

I guess he's guilty as sin for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or is he just guilty of saying something Mychal Bell didn't like? Either way it's no reason to feloniously stomp someone.
Knowing the racial tensions, he still did what he did, bringing this on himself, he is guilty of being a stupid taunter. Stop making it sound like he was an unknowing old lady taking a walk in the park and got mobbed.

Last edited by person; 09-22-2007 at 01:34 AM..

Old 09-22-2007, 01:49 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the noose. It isn't a violent act. And I'm intelligent enough to realize a rope is just a rope. People can only be incited if they let others control them. And why would anyone want to give another person that kind of power over themselves? In all likelihood, more white people have probably died getting hung than black people anyway. As far as slaves that were hung, or black people that were lynched, at what point can people decide to get over it? Because isn't that what it takes?
Where do you draw the line on symbols like the noose? If someone spraypainted your sidewalk with a swastika, would that bother you? Or would you consider it "not a violent act." "Spraypaint is just spraypaint." Where do you draw the line? Does it need to physically touch you before you feel it is something out of line?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:51 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Knowing the racial tensions, he still did what he did, bringing this on himself, he is guilty of being a stupid taunter. Stop making it sound like he was an unknowing old lady taking a walk in the park and got mobbed.

Mr. Barker didn't bring anything on himself. He simply was a victim of a violent crime. Anyone who participates in violent behavior like the Jena Six Predators should go to prison. The don't deserve to walk the streets. ANYONE who brutally attacks and stomps someone for nothing more than they don't like what he said is acting like an animal and he should be caged like one in a prison cell. For as long as legally possible.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The hanging of the noose was beyond a dumb thing- it is a crime. No different from a swastika, a burning cross- it was dismissed way to easily and brushed over. Probably that is telling at how we're both viewing this.
I think this is the bottom line in a lot of these discussions. Where you and I might view this negatively, a lot of people seem to view this type of thing in a positive light: i.e. "it's really nothing."

Hate is hate -- whether it's a noose or a swastika or a burning cross -- it's threatening. It doesn't matter if something happens or not, it's the threat that something might happen. It's not very different from pulling out a loaded gun and threatening someone with it.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Mr. Barker didn't bring anything on himself. He simply was a victim of a violent crime. Anyone who participates in violent behavior like the Jena Six Predators should go to prison. The don't deserve to walk the streets. ANYONE who brutally attacks and stomps someone for nothing more than they don't like what he said is acting like an animal and he should be caged like one in a prison cell. For as long as legally possible.
Mr barker did bring it on himself. He was a victim of his own stupid tauting while fully knowing the racial tensions. He got what he deserved. And anyone who ethically intimidated and racially incite violence like the Jena Rodeo Racists KKK wannabes, and gun toters who pull guns to threaten ppl should go to jail too.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Where do you draw the line on symbols like the noose? If someone spraypainted your sidewalk with a swastika, would that bother you? Or would you consider it "not a violent act." "Spraypaint is just spraypaint." Where do you draw the line? Does it need to physically touch you before you feel it is something out of line?
If someone spraypainted my sidewalk I certainly wouldn't like it and of course it would be out of line. But that certainly wouldn't be a reason to incite me to violence. ESPECIALLY violence against someone who had nothing to do with the spraypainting.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Mr barker did bring it on himself. He was a victim of his own stupid tauting while fully knowing the racial tensions. He got what he deserved.

It's attitudes like this that results in a disproportionate amount of our minority citizens ending up in prison. One has to have control over one's actions and temper in a responsible society. Jena will be a much safer place to live with the Jena Six Predators in prison.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:07 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,095,356 times
Quote:
If someone spraypainted my sidewalk I certainly wouldn't like it and of course it would be out of line. But that certainly wouldn't be a reason to incite me to violence. ESPECIALLY violence against someone who had nothing to do with the spraypainting.
Suppose some young college kids attend a service for veterans. Suppose they stand in front of them, and one of them pulls an American flag from his backpack, and sets it on the ground. Suppose he begins to urinate on it, and then douses it with gas, and lights it on fire while the other kids stand and chant "warmongers" or something like that.

What do you suppose would happen to these young college students? Would you suppose a handful of those veterans would yell, threaten, and possibly assault them?

I'm being quite serious with this hypothetical. It seems to me that most people would respond by saying something like "those kids got what was coming to them" or "they deserved much more than the beating they got." In other words, most people would applaud an assault upon them in this instance. Would you agree?

Now, I'm not justifying the use of violence, nor am I picking upon veterans or promoting the desecration of the flag - I'm just using a hypo that could very happen in hopes that you may understand the frustration and anger that hanging a noose may cause for a group of people, and understand (though again, not justify) why these kids st Jena responded the way they did.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Justin Barker was hit in the head from behind and knocked down, then he was stomped on by the entire Jena Six Predator crew, to the point where he was not only unconscious, but was blind in one eye for three weeks. Are you seriously trying to claim he wasn't innocent?

Mr. Barker had nothing to do with the nooses that were hung. He also had nothing to do with the guys that crashed the party at the Fair Barn, and Mr. Barker also had nothing to do with the guy that was chased down and robbed at the convenience store.
I guess I'm a little confused at this point... According to you, Barker never committed the above offenses or Barker never committed any offenses ever.

It makes a huge difference. The way it seems you are trying to explain it, Barker was a totally innocent person, just like Santa Claus might be, and those black boys targeted him for no reason at all. He was as innocent as Santa Claus or your grandma or my 2 year old nephew.

If Barker is really a truly innocent victim in this whole thing, then I would agree that the people who beat him up deserve whatever they get.

Was Barker really that innocent?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
It's attitudes like this that results in a disproportionate amount of our minority citizens ending up in prison. One has to have control over one's actions and temper in a responsible society. Jena will be a much safer place to live with the Jena Six Predators in prison.
It is attitudes like this that results in a our majority citizens getting away with stuff. One has to be fair in punishment to all those involved. Jena will be an even safer with the Jena Rodeo Racist KKK wannabes, and the gun toter threatening ppl put away, and our country safer when those who distribute different punishments based on race are fired.

Last edited by person; 09-22-2007 at 02:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies