Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

There have been over 150 cases where individuals were wrongly convicted and sentenced to death only to have their sentences reversed based upon new evidence. Recently two cases have raised doubts that two men were wrongly executed. Most death penalty opponents believe that the system is irreparably broken despite attempts to reform the administration of this ultimate punishment. Is is possible to reform the death penalty process to insure that the innocent are spared and the guilty are punished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
I believe you can, but I think it requires counter-socializing people, or at least educating them. There are many myths and misconceptions held by the general public. Any attempt to reform the system is going to require a multifaceted approach.

One thing that would help immensely is eliminating "qualified immunity" for prosecutors and police.

This is something that is not well understood by the general public. There is no law per se regarding "qualified immunity." This concept is a matter of case law that evolved through the court system over the years.

The problem started with the filing of numerous frivolous complaints by incarcerated defendant seeking appeals or re-trials, or monetary damages from violations of their "civil rights."

"When I met with the prosecutor pre-trial, he offered me a soft-drink and gave me a Coke instead of a Diet-Coke."

You all can laugh if you want, but I'm not making that up. That is the level of stupidity at work here, and these cases were clogging and back-logging the courts.

So the legal concept of "qualified immunity" emerges to protect prosecutors and then ultimately it is extended to the police.

I don't have an issue with it, but I do have a problem with its application. It was never intended to protect prosecutors and police from intentional (premeditated) misconduct.

The result is that prosecutors (and police) who tamper with witnesses, coerce or intimidate witnesses, withhold exculpatory evidence and so on are not punished for doing so, and that leads to innocent people being convicted of crimes they did not commit.

What needs to be done at State level is codifying "qualified immunity" into law and providing explcit exclusions where it should not apply, like in the situations where prosecutors or police engage in misconduct and that misconduct is detrimental to the accused.

Reforming...

Mircea

Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Just abolish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies