Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 AM

60 posts, read 203,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
For the life of me, I don't understand why people send their kids to public schools.

Yesterday, it was the ebonics screaming freak. Today, this.
I'm assuming that they can't afford private school..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
It happened in Florida..'nuff said.

crazy state, florida

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This has NOTHING to do with government run healthcare.

It has to do with the WAR ON DRUGS and zero tolerance policies that have been in place long before Obama was elected.

it has everything to do with putting government bureaucrats in charge of healthcare. EVERYTHING

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Don't local school boards establish zero tolerance policies? School boards that are usually made up of parents?

How is that big government?

Who should make school policy?
Of course local school boards set these policies.

And, if they found them objectionable they would change them.
However, for the most part, they seem to work as designed.

This is a horrible incident, however, it is just one incident.
Speaking from experience, there is actually no guarantee that had this child had access to the inhaler, that things would have been different.
It probably would have helped, if only for emotional reasons, but, it sounds like the child was way past the point where the inhaler would have precluded the need to go to the hospital.

I'll say this also: the policy in my son's schools was the same. He still carried an inhaler with him at all times in addition to the one that was stored in the nurse's office.
Common sense dictates that parents do what is right for their children.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Is that what I said?

Don't slap me.....take it up with the school board! LMAO

Remember, kids can no longer carry their meds with them because some parent will sue the school if Susie gives Mary an asprin.....or a snort off of her inhaler. The parents brought these kinds of policies into being.

{If it was up to me, kids could carry their medications with them....they wouldn't need to ask the nurse......it worked quite well when I was in school.}
Ya know, if I live to be 103, I'll never understand this statist-collectivist-leftist mentality of worshiping authority (big or small) and the self loathing that must be the source of automatically blaming the victims for these kinds of situations ... "well, it's the parents fault, blah, blah, blah." No, it cannot be someone else's fault when, in this case, an individual acts in such an egregious manner as to defy adequate description.

Your example of Mary and an aspirin is a lame attempt to rationalize the irrational, and to explain the inexplicable absence of common sense that personifies these types of events which are so prevalent in these modern times. Common sense it seems is rather "uncommon" these days, and you really do seem to have a slippery grip on it yourself.

The "zero tolarance" policy mentality you mentioned before is a perfect example of collectivists ability to gather and defy mathematics by never failing to embrace consensus views that lack an iota rational sense. And you need not look hard to find plentiful examples .... we seem neck deep it it ... from events like this one, to the stories of a 2rd grader being expelled from school for having a tiny little GI Joe gun in his pocket ... or the kid that get's arrested for falling asleep at his desk ... or the kid that get's kicked out of school because his mother packed a plastic knife in his lunch box ... the list is endless ... which just means the depth of stupidity appears to have no bottom. The only thing "zero tolerance" policies promote is zero tolerance for thinking ... which also happens to accurately define the public school system's approach to education, and the types that have slowly taken over the system.

These policies don't come from the public at the bottom .. they come down from "on high" ... whether that be at the federal level (which dictates a lot of this nonsense) or the local school boards which seem to attract the same idiot bureaucratic types that make up federal bodies. It's not the parents fault, other than perhaps their lack of collective will and organization to put a stop to these many manifestations of madness.

This school "nurse" who refused to aid this student because of a formality in administrative procedure would turn right around and not hesitate one second to jab a student with a vaccine needle filled with dangerous poisons, while telling the parents they have no choice .. that it is mandatory ... but refuses to give a kid his prescribed medication in an emergency? It's mind numbing craziness for which no adjective can adequately do justice.

Bureaucracies, be they large or small, are more often than not simply a collection point for idiots endowed with authority to force ill conceived collectivist views on larger groups of people who would otherwise never reach such conclusions on their own. Yet, the fact that the masses comply for the most part suggests that the last three or four generations may indeed be the dumbest collections of Americans ever to breathe air on the North American continent.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLife38 View Post
I'm assuming that they can't afford private school..
Then she could have home schooled him.

Regardless, the nurse handled it very badly.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Just take a look at VA hospitals and
Indian Reservation 100% run medical care multiply it x's 100% worse and you have your answer.

U.S. Government Healthcare On Indian Reservations Is A Nightmare

Broken promises: Reservations lack basic care Reservations lacking basic health care - Health - Health care - msnbc.com
I work IHS in Barrow and have worked in Bethel and on the Navajo Nation and to call it a nightmare is sheer hyperbole.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Imagine how bad it will be under Obamacare when juveniles are transported by the schools, sans parental permission, notification, to a Planned Parenthood Clinic for an abortion. Or better yet, when those abortion mills are integrated onto school grounds a labeled the school health clinic.

Private school or home school is about the only way a parent can keep their kids out of the grasp of the federal government for even a short time.
Many states have parental notification laws regarding minors getting abortions.

But your paranoia is duly noted.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
This incident has zero to do with national healthcare or any of the other red herrings being shown off.

This nurse violated the school's own policy by not dialing 911. That's it.

The school district has a policy in place regarding prescription medication. There was no release form on file, so they couldn't give him the inhaler. The mother should have had the form filled out. That does not excuse the nurse from her duty to dial 911. That she didn't means that she should be disciplined.

Now, going forward, the mother should become more active in the district and work towards policies that will allow students to carry life-saving prescription medications on them. Heck, my state has made it into law that all schools will carry epipens starting this September because of a terrible incident.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:32 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Are you actually going to sit there and claim that inane actions like this are the result of parents demanding that their children should be denied access to their PRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS ... for BREATHING ?

Do me a favor .... go slap the freaking hell out of yourself.
This is the exact result of parents getting up in arms about every little incident at school, forcing schools to enact zero-tolerance policies.

Student A brings in something innocuous like cough medicine, gets high & sick, parents call up the school demanding to know why they let their kid get high on cough medicine.

School responds by banning any & every OTC & prescribed drug w/o parental consent to placate irate parent.

Student B is denied access to prescription inhaler b/c of previously enacted rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies