Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Now they are coming back for round 2 of this fight. Obama got stomped in round 1. The Republicans extended ALL the Bush tax cuts and Obama got nada, nothing, zero, zilch in return. Now the Democrats and Obama are already backing away from the Republicans again. Obama once threatend a VETO if the tax cuts were extended for anybody over $250,000 a year. Now he backed off to a million a year. The Republicans have again made it clear they will accept nothing less than a full retreat. Obama should find some spine and use his veto stamp and let all the tax cuts die if the Republicans do that. I don't think he will because Obama is spineless and gutless but he should.
We only have Obama tax rates now. He signed them, he owns them.

I wonder if the OP understands that on Jan. 1st 2013 there will be an automatic 30% tax increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Why does the government need more money? They don't seem to know how to spend what they have.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:
Now they are coming back for round 2 of this fight. Obama got stomped in round 1. The Republicans extended ALL the Bush tax cuts and Obama got nada, nothing, zero, zilch in return. Now the Democrats and Obama are already backing away from the Republicans again. Obama once threatend a VETO if the tax cuts were extended for anybody over $250,000 a year. Now he backed off to a million a year. The Republicans have again made it clear they will accept nothing less than a full retreat. Obama should find some spine and use his veto stamp and let all the tax cuts die if the Republicans do that. I don't think he will because Obama is spineless and gutless but he should.
Please don't put forward concrete statements unless you have a clue of what you're talking about. He got unemployment benefits extended for people impacted by the horrible economic conditions he inherited. When you're the guy in charge, you typically do have to compromise to do what needs to be done.

I'd be leery of calling people spineless and gutless. A President of any sort has to make more difficult decisions than you ever will in your life. Both Bush and Obama showed plenty of backbone in their decisions. For instance, had he been wrong on bin Laden, Obama would have pretty much destroyed his presidency.

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFil...0/80474932.jpg

What will happen this time around? Who knows. It's a big complicated issue with plenty of money around.

Quote:
I guess you must love the guy then since he lowered your taxes. He owns them right so I'm sure you give him lots of credit. Oh wait, I guess he only owns them if you want something to complain about.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I guess you must love the guy then since he lowered your taxes. He owns them right so I'm sure you give him lots of credit. Oh wait, I guess he only owns them if you want something to complain about.
Epic win

Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
I agree. Let's put the last nail in the coffin of liberalism.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

And I also favor either retaining all 3 (Bush full cuts, SS cut, and extended ui) or ZERO of them permanently. With 1 up or down vote. Few Dems would be BRAVE enough to vote, though.
That's a gross mistake.

You don't have any choice. You have to let the tax cuts expire, and stop paying U/I. The logic of U/I is to tie people over until they get another job, but when no jobs exist, and won't exist it's pointless and waste of money. There is no magical formula for employment.

Each 0.X% of GDP does not equate to N,000 Jobs anymore than each $X Million in Government Spending equates to N,000 Jobs. That might not be what people want to hear, but it is the truth.

Recessions eliminate inefficiency and waste, and you have a lot of that from federal government to State government to county and local government, and in your manufacturing, wholesale, retail and service industry (and especially in your health care industries). Recession creates excess/surplus labor and that condition persists until Capital is shifted to more efficient and productive uses.

We saw that in the 1990s. The Cold War ends, you have surplus excess Capital in the Defense sector of the Economy. That excess Capital exists in the form of Labor, Cash (stocks/bonds/cash) plus parts and machinery, semi-finished goods and raw goods. The Recession did not last long, because the Capital (Labor) was shifted to other uses immediately.

But that does not always happen, and there is no guarantee it will happen and you cannot force it to happen. Sometimes excess/surplus Labor is nothing more than excess/surplus Labor. What do you? Nothing, because there is nothing you can do, and there is no place for that excess/surplus Labor to be utilized.

You're a post-Industrialized State, not some 2nd World or 3rd World State that has additional new possibilities for Labor/Market expansion that will absorb the excess labor you have.

So you're going to waste tax dollars by throwing them at jobs that should not exist and never will exist? That ain't too smart. It costs a lot of money to create absolutely nothing very slowly.

I told you all in 2007 that you would permanently lose millions of jobs and that some people would never work again.

Here's the definition of "never" for the clueless:

Never - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The FICA tax holiday is a stupid idea.

It results in the government cutting spending, except the government doesn't know how to do that, so it ends up borrowing even more money, and the Nation Debt increases that much faster.

As I said, at current rates the US National Debt will equal World GDP by 2040.

None of them, um, "economic wizards" on C-D have tackled that, and rather conspicuously avoided it. They don't necessarily have to, I would just be happen if they would address US National Debt as 1/3 of World GDP by 2020-2022.

If you want to keep Social Security and Medicare then you must do two things, first, you have to eliminate the tax cap, and then you have raise FICA taxes to a minimum of 9% by 2014, and then you must have regularly scheduled FICA tax increases to 16.4% by 2040.

And if you do that, then by 2040, you'll only have to cut Social Security benefits by 12%-15%, unless you start means-testing.

All you're doing is digging your grave deeper in preparation for Austerityâ„¢.

You need to restore the personal income tax rates, increase FICA and stop paying extended U/I and start dealing with Realityâ„¢.

You must also cut spending, and no, I don't mean giving HUD a planned increase of 14% and then reducing the planned increase to 11% and then screaming the sky is falling. That is not a spending cut. A spending cut is taking HUD's budget and increasing it by -15% for the next 10 years until your budget is balanced and you have a budget surplus instead of a budget deficit.

Logically....

Mircea

Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
LOL sure, it's all the dems fault. If the GOP wasn't doing such a horrific job, they never would have gotten their rears handed to them in 06' when the democrats took both houses. Thank god they did, who knows how horrific things would be now with even a second more of GOP control.

The economy never boomed, you are using cherry picked right wing fodder to bring the fail once again. Bush slashed revenues while at the same time spending like a lunatic, only an idiot does that, and those idiots are the GOP and W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Please don't put forward concrete statements unless you have a clue of what you're talking about. He got unemployment benefits extended for people impacted by the horrible economic conditions he inherited. When you're the guy in charge, you typically do have to compromise to do what needs to be done.

I'd be leery of calling people spineless and gutless. A President of any sort has to make more difficult decisions than you ever will in your life. Both Bush and Obama showed plenty of backbone in their decisions. For instance, had he been wrong on bin Laden, Obama would have pretty much destroyed his presidency.

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFil...0/80474932.jpg

What will happen this time around? Who knows. It's a big complicated issue with plenty of money around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Epic win
Are you folks serious? How can you in one post blast Bush for a less than $500 billion dollar deficit with around 5% UE rate and in another praise Obama for a $1.3 trillion dollar deficit with an average of high 8% UE?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Are you folks serious? How can you in one post blast Bush for a less than $500 billion dollar deficit with around 5% UE rate and in another praise Obama for a $1.3 trillion dollar deficit with an average of high 8% UE?
Bush took the nation from the largest surplus and most booming economy, to the biggest plunge in US history, leading the nation to the brink of total collapse. GOP fiscal plans have NEVER worked. Someone would have to be mentally unstable to want to go back to the failed GOP policies,,..

Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Old 05-27-2012, 01:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's a gross mistake.

You don't have any choice. You have to let the tax cuts expire, and stop paying U/I. The logic of U/I is to tie people over until they get another job, but when no jobs exist, and won't exist it's pointless and waste of money. There is no magical formula for employment.

Mircea
I am talking in the world of what is politically possible. Each party has pieces they want, so they can have all, or none. But not some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies