Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,029,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's fine, but there are lots of businesses that support conservative causes as well. Would you have a problem with them?

For example, I avoid buying pizza from Domino's because of their support for right-wing causes. Nothing wrong with that. We all vote with our dollars to a certain extent.
That's a good question, but I doubt they'll answer honestly. I personally don't care either way, unless maybe they had a Nazi flag at the door's entrance... still mad at my mother for ignoring that one, and buying something at this Nazi-run shop in Vegas once (we're Jewish, which makes it doubly perplexing).

But I don't care about politics when I'm shopping, and even renewed my Curves membership after finding out the owner's a pro-life evangelical Christian. Doesn't bother me, as they provide a good service at a fair price. Who has the time and energy to worry about politics every time they enter a business? Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,400,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Where I buy things is irrelevant. What is relevant to the discussion is that I most certainly am not going to be unable to get hold of neccesities just because I choose to boycott certain merchants - you act as if the places that support homosexuality are the only games in town. You are incorrect - and the only people who will lose if it comes down to economic warfare are places like J.C. Penney.
Ssssooo you are afraid that we're going to give you some "bad" news about the places you give your money to.

You know, I would've thought you'd want us to help you make sure you don't contribute to a business that supports "the gay agenda". And if not for you, for anyone else here who sees it your way. I mean, why not get serious about this and make double sure? Think of the children's mouths you could take food out of because their parents work for a company who is openly tolerant of homosexuality!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,053,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ssssooo you are afraid that we're going to give you some "bad" news about the places you give your money to.
You are assuming that you know more about the businesses that I patronize than I do.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times
Quote:
Where I buy things is irrelevant. What is relevant to the discussion is that I most certainly am not going to be unable to get hold of neccesities just because I choose to boycott certain merchants - you act as if the places that support homosexuality are the only games in town. You are incorrect - and the only people who will lose if it comes down to economic warfare are places like J.C. Penney.
There are a lot more gay friendly businesses than you would like to admit....For instance, what kind of car do you drive? Chances are that it's from one those horrible gay (don't you just hate 'em) car manufacturers ... Gay-Friendly Automakers | Gaywheels

You has better check out your bank too... Gay Friendly Companies - Gay Friendly Companies: Banking and Financial Services

And your insurance company... Gay Friendly Companies - Gay Friendly Companies: Insurance

Retailers... Gay Friendly Companies - Gay Friendly Companies: Retail

Clothing stores... Gay Friendly Companies - Gay Friendly Companies: Apparel and Fashion

You have a whole lot of research to do before you go shopping...

Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
For instance, what kind of car do you drive? Chances are that it's from one those horrible gay (don't you just hate 'em) car manufacturers ... Gay-Friendly Automakers | Gaywheels
I don't drive a car - my carbon footprint is small - how about yours?

Quote:
None of those companies currently - nor recently have - received my business.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I don't drive a car - my carbon footprint is small - how about yours?
I have three...Two are just toys though... Do you ride a bike? Is it an anti-gay bike? How about your shoes? You must have shoes....maybe not..

Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM

30,120 posts, read 18,727,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Look, for all you people who won't shop there anymore because of an ad that has a pic of a family with 2 dads...please don't. Go someone where there are NO GAY PEOPLE. Hmmm...let's see, Target...oppps, no, they have those pro gay marriage t-shirts. I dunno, Walmart? No...there's gotta be gay people working there? Hmmmm....MACY*S? Oh wait...you will be greeted by a parade of gays just getting past the perfume and cosmetics section. Let's see....maybe you should try Neiman Marcus. OH NO...don't go there....High End is gay infested FOR SURE.

Anyway, good luck on avoiding any indication that Gay people exist and have lives and families. Just pretend like it doesn't exist, and you'll be just fine.
Quite the over reaction.

I do not care if gay people shop at any stores in which I shop. However, I DO CARE when a company chooses to make a political statement when their job should be selling clothes. When a business embraces a controversial subject, they will alienate a good deal of clients. That is simply a bad business practice. When one is trying to appeal to 10% of the population, perhaps someone in marketing should be fired.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I have three...Two are just toys though... Do you ride a bike? Is it an anti-gay bike? How about your shoes?You must have shoes....maybe not..
That is a lot of cars - I thought you liberals were supposed to be environmentally responsible - when "global warming" destroys the planet - I will blame you.

What is with the "big grin"? Are you aware that some people might answer affirmatively to a suggestion that they don't have shoes? I'm not one of them - but your attitude is rather disturbing. I can tell you a story about a local person who did not have shoes - and the amazing thing she did despite that - but I'm not sure that you would even appreciate it - given that you think being shoeless is a big joke.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM

30,120 posts, read 18,727,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's fine, but there are lots of businesses that support conservative causes as well. Would you have a problem with them?

For example, I avoid buying pizza from Domino's because of their support for right-wing causes. Nothing wrong with that. We all vote with our dollars to a certain extent.
Yes, one has the right to shop wherever they want and to buy whatever they want. People confuse freedom of speech with speech with no consequences.

Penny's can say whatever they want. However, given their left wing political stance, our family will not shop there. Gay people and those who support gays in ads can shop there. Let's see how that business plan works out for them.

I did not know Dominos supported right wing causes. Their pizza, which used to be crap, is now very good. I am glad that I can get good pizza and support people of like mind. Similarly, I tend to patronize members of our parish in their business- all the Catholics do the same. It is simply supporting people of like mind.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
That is a lot of cars - I thought you liberals were supposed to be environmentally responsible - when "global warming" destroys the planet - I will blame you.

What is with the "big grin"? Are you aware that some people might answer affirmatively to a suggestion that they don't have shoes? I'm not one of them - but your attitude is rather disturbing. I can tell you a story about a local person who did not have shoes - and the amazing thing she did despite that - but I'm not sure that you would even appreciate it - given that you think being shoeless is a big joke.
Getting a bit off topic here, but you took the shoeless thing the wrong way, and all three of my cars get excellent gas mileage, and guess what? I can only drive one at a time...The toys are aircooled collector cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies