Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I do not care if gay people shop at any stores in which I shop. However, I DO CARE when a company chooses to make a political statement when their job should be selling clothes. When a business embraces a controversial subject, they will alienate a good deal of clients. That is simply a bad business practice. When one is trying to appeal to 10% of the population, perhaps someone in marketing should be fired.
Oh, give it up. You're perfectly fine buying from Domino's, knowing they've been so involved in politics when (according to your train of thought) their job should be selling pizza. So let's get real: You are opposed to JC Penney's specific course of action; it has nothing to do with this made-up standard of absolutely 0 value that a business should never concern itself with "political issues".

I'll repeat, since you did not reply:

"What drives the advocation of equality and tolerance of those who are hurting absolutely no one should always mix with business."

You may have the business obligation to make more money, but you've the moral obligation to promote equality and tolerance of homosexuality. Why? Because it doesn't hurt a single person for people to be gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Quite the over reaction.

I do not care if gay people shop at any stores in which I shop. However, I DO CARE when a company chooses to make a political statement when their job should be selling clothes. When a business embraces a controversial subject, they will alienate a good deal of clients. That is simply a bad business practice. When one is trying to appeal to 10% of the population, perhaps someone in marketing should be fired.
Can I ask again how they're being political?? They simply decided to represent a variety of families in their ads, and there is nothing political in the ad itself... hiring Ellen was also not a political move, as far as I can tell, since she's a well-known entertainment figure who's represented many products previously. I'm sorry if you think the mere PRESENCE of gay people in their campaigns is "political," but that's your problem - not theirs. Am I being political when I take a photo with a gay friend and share it on Facebook?

Regardless, there is no law (or even societal expectation) for large corporations to stay out of politics altogether. I'm sure just about every corporation has some kind of political ties, donations, causes, or leanings - and it would be both silly and probably unconstitutional to demand otherwise.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
I did not know Dominos supported right wing causes.
Ironically, I worked for them a long time ago.

But yes, the founder of Domino's is very religious and conservative. He's even started planning his own religious city in Florida called "Ave Maria".

Ave Maria, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Their pizza, which used to be crap, is now very good.
I'm sure the company appreciates your noticing that. Even they acknowledged that their pizza was horrible.

Dominos Admits Pizza Was 'the Worst'; Bets the Company on Ads Vowing Change - CBS News

Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ironically, I worked for them a long time ago.

But yes, the founder of Domino's is very religious and conservative. He's even started planning his own religious city in Florida called "Ave Maria".

Ave Maria, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure the company appreciates your noticing that. Even they acknowledged that their pizza was horrible.

Dominos Admits Pizza Was 'the Worst'; Bets the Company on Ads Vowing Change - CBS News
I used to work for them too, LOL... delivered pizzas for them (and two other pizza places) while I was in college. And yes, their pizza was terrible! I only liked the pies I personally made, as I added a few extras to make it better - and the only reason I even ate my own creations was because they were free.

P.S. Hawkeye's response proves our point, that some people only care if a company "gets political" when it's related to something they oppose. Why weren't they researching Domino's before ordering from them, if this was such a concern? And now that you know, hawkeye, will you boycott them too?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I used to work for them too, LOL... delivered pizzas for them (and two other pizza places) while I was in college. And yes, their pizza was terrible!
I'm actually not picky when it comes to food, so if it weren't for their conservative religious advocacy, I'd probably still eat their pizza.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I don't drive a car - my carbon footprint is small - how about yours?
Again, good for you. Wish I could ditch the car too, but there is literally no other way for me to get to work... unless you suggest walking 40+ miles each way every day! There isn't even a train option, since I go the opposite direction (and at completely different hours) of the commuter CalTrain between where I work & live. I'm also jealous that you can even ride a bike, since my bum knee hasn't let me do that for over a decade.

But unless you built that bike yourself, with all hand-crafted products and tools, some company somewhere had to produce it for you. Try as hard as you might, nobody in modern society can live without giving SOME money to corporations - not even the Amish, although they come as close as possible.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm actually not picky when it comes to food, so if it weren't for their conservative religious advocacy, I'd probably still eat their pizza.
I prefer Round Table, but only when they have good coupons available... as I refuse to pay $20+ for a plain cheese pizza!! Not sure what their political affiliations are, if any, but it probably wouldn't matter to me anyway. Despite my participation on this forum, I've never really cared about politics one way or another - which is why I identify as an Independent, but maybe I should call myself an Apathist instead. Hey, I made up a new word!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Well ,....no shopping at Penneys for me...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Oh, but when it actually comes to contributing money (donations), I do pay some attention to political activity... i.e. I'm happy to be a member of Curves and give them my membership fees, but you'll never catch me making charitable donations to them.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Well ,....no shopping at Penneys for me...
I'm sure they will miss you greatly... LOL.

So, are you another one who only hates JCP but still patronizes the other gay-friendly corporations? What kind of computer and Internet service do you use, and have you ever used Google?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies