Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

You're damn right I would rather not see it. I want to see that as much as I want to see people walking around with their pants on the ground. Wanting to be with someone of your sex will always he viewed by some as not at all natural or normal.
Alot of things in our world naturally serve a purpose or have reason. Man and woman have a natural attraction, and also serve a purpose as they can create life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
You're damn right I would rather not see it. I want to see that as much as I want to see people walking around with their pants on the ground.
And of course, you're still talking about those gays are flamboyant about it (talking with a lisp, etc.), not the men in this ad, right? Because the men in this ad are being very modest about it... moreso than many of the ads featuring heterosexuals.

Quote:
Wanting to be with someone of your sex will always he viewed by some as not at all natural or normal.
Neither of these things matter, as I'm sure you're aware we all do things that are not normal and natural. Only real question is, where's the harm?

Quote:
Alot of things in our world naturally serve a purpose or have reason. Man and woman have a natural attraction, and also serve a purpose as they can create life.
Homosexuals claim they have a natural attraction for one another, and who are we to argue with them about what they feel and where/when it started? As for the purpose of creating life, are you suggesting that all sex should be for procreation?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM

250 posts, read 379,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Uhh...please explain how choosing to not shop at a particular store and saying so publicly equates to the bolded part of your comment.

Also - why do you assume that people who choose to not shop at J.C. Penney because of the ad in question are being informed by religious beliefs?
I apologize, my statement wasn't as clear as I intended. I didn't mean to imply that not shopping at JC Penny had any relation to imposing religious beliefs. The imposing religious beliefs part referred to the legislation that some are trying to pass in regards to homosexuals. Sometimes I'm not as clear as I think I am.

I assume that most opposition to gays in general are derived from religious beliefs. That has been my experience.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
I apologize, my statement wasn't as clear as I intended. I didn't mean to imply that not shopping at JC Penny had any relation to imposing religious beliefs. The imposing religious beliefs part referred to the legislation that some are trying to pass in regards to homosexuals. Sometimes I'm not as clear as I think I am.

I assume that most opposition to gays in general are derived from religious beliefs. That has been my experience.
OK - thank you for the clarification.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
I'll bet all of you boycotters won't be happy until retailers stop selling clothing to gay men. Then homosexuals will be left with no choice but to run naked through the streets. Yeah that's what you want, you know you want it.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
The people making the most fuss about this - the homophobes and what have you - are the ones with the most amount of anger stored inside. Guess what anger's neighbor is? Fear. So, obviously for some reason, everyone who has a problem with this has a fear of what they are seeing.

So what if two dudes in an ad for a clothing store are homosexual? Would the same fuss be brought up if it was two women? Does it really matter?

I'll answer - no it doesn't matter. People are still going to shop and people are going to complain. That's the nature of life.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
This is another "teachable moment" ,as Barack Obama likes to say, in exposing liberal hypocrisy. Not long ago liberals were trying to boycott Target because they had contributed money to a group opposing gay marriage. We must boycott Target! How dare they express any views we don't like!
Now, JC Penney's goes the opposite direction and all the broadminded libs suddenly think boycotting stores is a bad idea.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
This is another "teachable moment" ,as Barack Obama likes to say, in exposing liberal hypocrisy. Not long ago liberals were trying to boycott Target because they had contributed money to a group opposing gay marriage. We must boycott Target! How dare they express any views we don't like!
Now, JC Penney's goes the opposite direction and all the broadminded libs suddenly think boycotting stores is a bad idea.
I'm pretty sure most of the "the libs" aren't against boycotting in general. IMO, since no one can point to something inherently harmful about homosexuality in and of itself (thereby giving justification to call it wrong), any encouragement of discrimination against them is wrong.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the "the libs" aren't against boycotting in general. IMO, since no one can point to something inherently harmful about homosexuality in and of itself (thereby giving justification to call it wrong), any encouragement of discrimination against them is wrong.
Promoting is different than discrimination.

Time will tell if Penneys has an effective ad campaign going on. If there are enough gay dads to buy their clothes, then it's winner I think, otherwise, maybe not.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Promoting is different than discrimination.
Anyone who would punish a business for putting out an ad featuring gay people, is trying to discourage further ads like this (to deny that is being disingenuous). Which means they are trying to encourage discrimination of gay models, specifically because they are gay.

Or, if you'd like to look at it more closely:

Maybe they're fine with having gay models in the business' advertisements, but they don't want it being known from looking at the ad that the model is gay. Sounds fair enough. But it still means they are okay with heterosexuality being shown but not homosexuality. This man can let the world know what his sexuality is, but that man cannot. Discrimination, all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies